Ladder load development testing.

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ladder load development testing.

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:41 amI am not familiar with that caliber but it looks like a flat shooter.
It is indeed a flat shooter. I penned an article a few years ago in "The Varmint Hunter Magazine" that detailed the virtues of the 20VT. Basically it sends a 32gr bullet downrange right at 3,600 - 3,800 fps with only 18.5~ grs of powder, a full one third LESS powder than the 204 Ruger for the same velocity. Wicked accurate, almost no recoil at all, minimal muzzle blast, see all your hits/misses clearly through the scope. The parent case is the 221 Fireball, easily necked down to .20 caliber. The 20VT also shares the 204R's improved 30* shoulder.

All the data shown on my 'come-up' chart is shown in MOA; matches the Leupold M1 elevation turret perfectly for easy range adjustments.

A field target when I was working on two different 32gr bullets shows the degree of accuracy this little gem delivers. Hence the term "wicked accurate". It's also the perfect application of RL-7 powder. It's also my go-to powder for both my 221FB's, giving the same degree of accuracy.

Some call the 20VT a "204 Short". When velocity and powder consumption is considered, the 20VT is a very efficient cartridge.

My Cooper M38VR in 20VT with some rock chucks shot near home. It's always one shot only, as they never ever give you a second chance at a follow-up shot being extremely skittish critters.

Easy on barrels, miserly on powder, deadly on varmints....what's not to like? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

That's some nice grouping!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Yes it is. I have a CZ527 chambered in .221 Remington Fireball, and that thing is really accurate. I bet the 20 VT is fun to shoot.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Has anyone seen pressure tested loads on 20VT?

I did a little work with my 17 Remington, ladder work of sorts. One target, 2/10 increments, too max. In theory there should be a nice cluster of several loads. My ladder/ramp stuck 12–15 bullets into .25x.6?@100. It was a waste for me other than my chrono info.

They prefer to do this a 200 and further. My thoughts, the further the distance the larger the error can be for the shooter.

I have tried numerous “ways” of finding best loads, very little satisfaction. I have yet to find a quick and easy solution, with low round count.
Ricepidding
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 7

Post by Ricepidding »

Hi all,

New member , so here goes;
I used the ladder system (simpler Audette style) to find the optimum load for a custom 308 Win I had made.
Got two conspicuous nodes at 300 yards.
After pursuing the smaller load, ended up at the Sierra stated accuracy load for 155 SMK's and Viht N140!

I realise the 204 is quite different so when/if the weather gets warmer in the uk, will be out with the ladder again!

Cheers
Harry
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:31 pmThat's some nice grouping!
Thanks, Skipper. All loads were developed using the ladder test system. It works!
Tom Kat wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:49 pmYes it is. I have a CZ527 chambered in .221 Remington Fireball, and that thing is really accurate. I bet the 20 VT is fun to shoot.
TK: Agreed, my CZ 527 American with it's sporter weight barrel shoots in the .3's with A2200 and the 32gr BT or Varmageddon bullet. Far more accurate than any other skinny barreled rig I've ever owned. Scary accurate for a light rifle.

And "Fun to shoot" does not come close to describing how much fun the 20VT is in the field. Mine has become my go-to rifle for squirrels and chucks, leaving my 223's and 204's in the safe most times. BUT.....I always take one of my 204's when/if the range and/or wind becomes an issue. My fast twist M700 never lets me down in that regard shooting either the 39 SBK or the 40gr BT. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails