Anyone use the Nosler 34 Grain HP bullet?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Huskerguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Varminter

Anyone use the Nosler 34 Grain HP bullet?

Post by Huskerguy »

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets ... -hp-shots/

I have started to determine what my Savage likes best. So far I have tried the 32 and 40 VMax.

I recently picked up some Berger 35 grainers that Midway had on sale.

The prices on the Noslers from RMR is pretty good and could make a good dog hunting round. So far there are no reviews on this bullet from RMR and I contacted them so see if I could buy a smaller lot to test and haven't heard a word.

I am using BLC -2 for now. I have Varget and H335 as well.

Also looking for brass, doesn't seem to be a lot of it around.
Last edited by Huskerguy on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: Anyone use the Nosler 34 Grain HP bullet?

Post by broper »

Try the 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddon. It's the most accurate bullet I've ever shot in my Rem 700 .204. I also use BLC(2). I think Hodgdon lists 30.9 as max but my best accuracy was at 28.5 gr. I got a .169 group. Everybody says that Sierra 39 gr, bullets are more accurate in their .204's but strangely in my rifle the 40 gr. V-max are more accurate. I couldn't get less than about 3/4" with the 39's. Go figure, but like everyone knows every rifle is different and will have different results.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

My custom built 204 Ruger just loves the 35 gr. Berger Flat Based bullets on top of 26.5 gr. of Benchmark. It has put 5 of those into the same hole at 100 yards twice now.

2021FiveShotChallenge.jpg
2021FiveShotChallenge.jpg (165.48 KiB) Viewed 23103 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

My 204 does best with a near max load of CFE223 under the 32 grn Nosler lead free. Every rifle is different,
and you just have to find what YOURS likes.
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

I shoot Nosler 34gr.hp bullets. The ones I get are blems and they shoot quite well. IMR8208 behind them is what my rifle likes.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That bullet is a low-cost alternative from Nosler compared to their excellent Ballistic Tips and Varmageddon bullets, primarly sold to mail order houses, sometimes referred to as "Dogtown". Cost is a huge draw, and about the only drawback to these bullets is the comparatively low BC when compared to their tipped cousins, but they launch PD's and ground squirrels with wanton abandon. :wink:

For work in the rat patch, they're great, but for work at longer ranges, their blunt nose design comes into play, and shows there are much better alternatives with the tipped versions. But if cost is your primary concern, they're a good bullet to shoot in quantity. That's been my experience with them, yours may vary. (I'm just glad the factories are still cranking out varmint bullets for us!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

As Rick said, they are a low cost bullet put out by Nosler, standard cup and core bullet, with a HP tip. Midway as them as Dogtown, Midsouth as Varmint nightmares. I shot thousands of them prior to the lead free requirement in my commie state and they work great in ground squirrel pivots. I even used them, with good success out to 400 yrds on Rock chucks and even coyotes, but on coyotes you should hit them head on in chest/head or a broadside heart/lung shot. They don't exit and make jelly of the insides. :D

I have used them in several 20 caliber, even the 17 and 224's calibers that Nosler puts out.
K22

Post by K22 »

I use them mainly as a paper bullet for the son in laws. They like to use my rifles for benchshooting and save their factory ammo. They like my reloads for their rifles but don't want to get into reloading. :chin: I need to become more persuasive. :D Oh, and I have 6 of them, plus a couple of grandsons who like to shoot. My good reloaded bullets have become off limits for the son in laws, not the grandsons, but the bulk loads are there for their pleasure.
Bergers are hard to beat as a Coyote bullet in the 20's in my opinion. The CRT 37gr.hp's were excellent but since they are no longer made I wanting to try the Blackhole 37gr. bullet on Coyotes, hoping they will perform as well as the CRT's.
I really need to shoot a few Coyotes with the 34 Noslers, they may be a cheap Predator bullet alternative.
Huskerguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Varminter

Post by Huskerguy »

Bill K wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:36 pm My 204 does best with a near max load of CFE223 under the 32 grn Nosler lead free. Every rifle is different,
and you just have to find what YOURS likes.
I found some of these for sale as well. I didn't know much about them as well and didn't know how well the non-lead would perform.

This will primarily be a Prarie dog gun, 200 or so yard shots. I found the 32 grain Hornadys to be slightly more accurate than their 40 grain cousins. Have some loaded with different powder along with the Berger 35 grains. For me, I doesn't make sense to pay 40-50 cents for a bullet when a 15-25 center may perform as well. Not counting the ability to find them again when I need more.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

The main reason I use the lead free ones now for game, even non-game classed by my commie states lead free bullet law, is due to the law. As for the 34 grain Nosler's they worked great all the way to 400 yrds on ground squirrels, rock chucks and even coyotes. I would still be using them more, if it was not for the new law in this state, to shoot/hunt legally game.
Can still burn a lot of them on paper and other non game targets. :D
You mention of the 32 working better in your rifle than the 40 grn one's, is what most find to occur, if you have a 1/12 twist in your twenty calibers, however the 39 grn Sierra BK's will often shoot quite well, when the 40's fail. :)
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

I've been loading the 34g DT FBHP's in my 20P, sub moa out to 200 yds, I've shot at 300 yds, but it was at a fallen tree laying on the hillside. Just so happen it was right at 300yd, and was accurate at this distance. Could not get to the fallen tree to inspect the impact zone, but "it will kill".
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Read somewhere that the reason Nosler came out with the 34 grain, cup and core bullet, was for the commercial hunter/shooters in Australia and/or NZ for their shooting of rues and such. So if that is correct, then they must be a good game killer.
I know from critters, I have shot with them, they put them down. That small hp bullet is a surprising bullet for it's size and all.
Think I mentioned, I also use/used them in most all my 17 calibers also, that is the bullet them put out for a 17 cal. they are also very deadly. :)
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

I've used the 34 GR Nosler "Dogtown" versions shot from my Savage model 12 FV, loaded over CFE 223. These little gems are devastating in the prairie dog towns of South Dakota at 350 + yards. They're not quite as accurate as the Hornaday 32 GR V-MAX bullets but they do deal with the wind a bit better. I've not shot anything that I would want to save the pelt from as I believe there would be some nasty holes in the fur. I'm hoping to use the Dogtown bullets on some problem coyotes in our deer woods this winter, if I'm successful I'll post pictures.
Shoot straight & often.
K22

Post by K22 »

Bill K wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:08 pm Read somewhere that the reason Nosler came out with the 34 grain, cup and core bullet, was for the commercial hunter/shooters in Australia and/or NZ for their shooting of rues and such. So if that is correct, then they must be a good game killer.
I know from critters, I have shot with them, they put them down. That small hp bullet is a surprising bullet for it's size and all.
Think I mentioned, I also use/used them in most all my 17 calibers also, that is the bullet them put out for a 17 cal. they are also very deadly. :)

Bill,
Have you shot any Coyotes with the 17 Nightmare Extreme bullet that Midsouth Shooters Supply offers? Was curious how they performed.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Bill,
Have you shot any Coyotes with the 17 Nightmare Extreme bullet that Midsouth Shooters Supply offers? Was curious how they performed.
[/quote]

Yes, more than one. Entrance and no exit, they just explode inside and make mush. Head on or broadside lung/heart shots. Most of them are called in and within 150 yrds when I shoot. :)