Favorite Loads

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Re: Favorite Loads

Post by bow shot »

RRA AR15, 24" bull 1:12 (.204, of course...)

Nosler brass
CCI small rifle mag primers
Hornady 32 gr VMax bullet
COAL 2.245" (to fit the mag)
Untrimmed (tad shorter than spec "trim-to")
26.8 gr Benchmark
Lee collet neck sized
Wilson seated
I can count on 5 shots grouping 2" @ 300y, and most are 1.5" if I exclude 1 shot.

Also
Hornady 40 gr VMax
25.0 gr Benchmark
Groups the same, maybe a tad better (still tweaking).

Currently recipie for the Rock river (24" bull) AR is:
Sierra 32 gn Blitzking
Nosler brass (fired 4x)
Trim 1.845 +/- .002"
COAL (appx) 2.250"
26.5 gn Benchmark
CCI small magnum primer
flash holes preppec (didn't need it)
weight sorted +/- < 1 gn (didn't need it)
VLD chamfered (didn't need it)
Primer pockets uniformed (didn't need it)
(can you tell I love Nosler brass? )

Regular 5 shot group: 2" @ 300y, (excluding one shot: 1.3" @ 300y)

My Savage VLP's load is here too, and it is the identical except for COAL and primer (Fed small match). Interesting that best accuracy came at identical powder charges... for BOTH 32 and 40 gr VMax.
Last edited by bow shot on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Savage model 12 FCV, 26" bbl
Powder: 26.2 gr IMR 8208 XBR (.2 gr over min)
Case: 1.840" Win 2x fired, neck sized, flash hole de-burred
Bullet: 40 gr. Hornady Vmax (weighed 39.9)
Seating: .130 by ogive, RCBS comparator
Primer: Rem 7 1/2 BR
Velocity: 3631 fps avg., SD 15
Scope: Leupold VX-1 4-12x 40mm

3-shot group @ 100 yds 0.125" c-c

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... 4group.jpg

Powder: 28.3 gr. IMR 8208 XBR
Case: Hornady at 1.840" neck sized with Lee collet die
Bullet: 26 gr. Barnes Varmint Grenade
Seating: 0.055" from lands
Primer: Rem 7 1/2 BR
Scope: Millet 6-25 x 50mm

5-shot group @ 100 yds 0.218"
Last edited by Hedge on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Scott
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

trying to decide on load ,need advise

Post by Scott »

shooting good groups, all under 5/16 @ 100 yds . with h322 powder 23.0gr,and 24gr. and 25.1gr. do I want to use max load of 25.1gr.seem like a lot of extra powder with same groups with 23gr. I have a CZ 527 varmint rifle tapered bull barrel..have been getting 3.250.groups @ 400YDS USING 40GR VMAX
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

Post by 204_au »

Favourite load for now.

Remington Brass, trim length 1.480", flash holes deburred
Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers
32 gr. V-max projectile
28.9 gr. ADI AR2206H (H4895)
OAL 2.660"

Remington model 700 SPS stainless 24" sporter barrel.

3 shots @ 100 yards 0.15"

3 shots @ 300 yards 1.1"
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

The tables that graymist has generated are a great tool in aiding on our quest for accuracy and I want to thank him for his efforts and time spent periodically updating this section.

The only thing that would make it better is if the list of favorite loads indicated the type of weapon used and length of barrel.

I have two .204's, one a 26" M77 heavy barrel Ruger and my newest is a Rock River LAR-15 24" bull barrel semi auto. Semi-auto loading info has been harder to find info on and I would like to share it with the community when I get it fine tuned.......but my info will only be helpful for those with an AR so I don't want to publish my info on the list if it isn't for the correct gun. I don't want to waste other people's time and i'm sure they won't want to use my data if they have a bolt action.

I am sure bow shot would appreciate this too......since he is also in the minority with a semi-auto. Maybe this list exists with barrel info but I didn't see it in the section.

Thanks again graymist and keep up the good work!!!!!
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

My favorite load to date with a CZ 527 Varmint is Winchester or Hordandy brass neck sized only using Lee equipment, #71/2 primers, 29.0gr of Reloader 15 powder, Sierra 39gr Blitzkings seated to 2.305" COAL. Top pic is 200yds with the best group being 0.44". The bottom pic is 100yd groups, didn't measure the best group because it's just one nice bug hole. All are 5 shot groups.

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Trent, thanks for the spreadsheets. They're a great resource! However, the loads listed as H4198 need to be changed to IMR 4198. I have a pound of H4198 and called Hodgdon. The only bullet they recommend for that powder is the 26 grain Barnes. Pressure rises too fast and too high for anything heavier.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Lead Lobber wrote:The tables that graymist has generated are a great tool in aiding on our quest for accuracy and I want to thank him for his efforts and time spent periodically updating this section.

The only thing that would make it better is if the list of favorite loads indicated the type of weapon used and length of barrel.

I have two .204's, one a 26" M77 heavy barrel Ruger and my newest is a Rock River LAR-15 24" bull barrel semi auto. Semi-auto loading info has been harder to find info on and I would like to share it with the community when I get it fine tuned.......but my info will only be helpful for those with an AR so I don't want to publish my info on the list if it isn't for the correct gun. I don't want to waste other people's time and i'm sure they won't want to use my data if they have a bolt action.

I am sure bow shot would appreciate this too......since he is also in the minority with a semi-auto. Maybe this list exists with barrel info but I didn't see it in the section.

Thanks again graymist and keep up the good work!!!!!
I don't think "graymist" has been on the forum since 2009. I think he abandoned us. :cry:

If there is enough interest in an AR datasheet, and enough actual data, I do not mind creating a separate spreadsheet for that data specifically.

The spreadsheets I created are based on the info that was supplied to this thread. It would be easy to add barrel length and manufacturer to the spreadsheet as long as people provide it. I'm not going to try and go back and add it into the existing data though. That would be asking for too many mistakes/errors.
Trent

Post by Trent »

inKYfromSD wrote:Trent, thanks for the spreadsheets. They're a great resource! However, the loads listed as H4198 need to be changed to IMR 4198. I have a pound of H4198 and called Hodgdon. The only bullet they recommend for that powder is the 26 grain Barnes. Pressure rises too fast and too high for anything heavier.
I'm taking a look through the past posts in this thread to see where the H4198 data came from to see if it should be listed as IMR 4198. I do know that there are folks on this forum using H4198 though. H4198 and IMR4198 are next to each other on the powder burn rate charts. They should both offer similar results. I'll dig through though, I do see IMR4198 loads in this thread (page 1) and that powder is not listed on the spreadsheet. If that was transposed back then, I will fix it.

Thanks for letting me know!

Edit to add***
Yep. I matched up the loads with posts on page 1 and page 3. Should be listed as IMR 4198. I will make the change to the spreadsheet and get it updated with the most current load data as well.
Trent

Post by Trent »

bigt73
.204 Ruger Guns: i own a .204 howa

Post by bigt73 »

trent i see you have h335 at 28.3, with 39grs sbk, this must be a very hot load, i got pressure signs at 26.5 and then pushed it up little by little and finally to 27.5, it blew a hole striaght through the primer, which was a rem 7,1/2

tony
Trent

Post by Trent »

Tony,

Any and all loads in this thread are for suggestion only. 28.3gr of H335 with a 39grain bullet is definitely over suggested max load by Hodgdon. It was posted by "FinMan" back in 2008 (page 6 of this thread). As I am merely the "assembler" of the spreadsheets I hold no responsibility of any loads found within them. I am just assembling the load data provided in this thread into spreadsheets so that we can all find real world loads more easily.

The particular load that you pointed out is pretty hot. FinMan hasn't visited this site in over 2 years and only had 3 total posts (ever). I have no problem deleting that load from the spreadsheet, but only if I get enough people voting to remove it. Like I said, I'm not the administrator of the load data... I just put it all together. As reloaders it isn't uncommon to develop loads that are over suggested max charges.

My vote is to remove it and I think you feel the same. What says everyone else?
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Trent wrote:Tony,

Any and all loads in this thread are for suggestion only. 28.3gr of H335 with a 39grain bullet is definitely over suggested max load by Hodgdon. It was posted by "FinMan" back in 2008 (page 6 of this thread). As I am merely the "assembler" of the spreadsheets I hold no responsibility of any loads found within them. I am just assembling the load data provided in this thread into spreadsheets so that we can all find real world loads more easily.

The particular load that you pointed out is pretty hot. FinMan hasn't visited this site in over 2 years and only had 3 total posts (ever). I have no problem deleting that load from the spreadsheet, but only if I get enough people voting to remove it. Like I said, I'm not the administrator of the load data... I just put it all together. As reloaders it isn't uncommon to develop loads that are over suggested max charges.

My vote is to remove it and I think you feel the same. What says everyone else?
I agree.. Remove..
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I also agree: remove the load for safetys sake. We don't want a newbie blowing up his rifle or himself...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I vote remove. Hope FinMan did not "remove" himself at the range.