Press Mounting: Limited Work Space for Reloading

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
haskins02

Press Mounting: Limited Work Space for Reloading

Post by haskins02 »

I plan to start reloading 204 Ruger. I have limited space to reload, just a small wooden garage workbench which must be used for other work too. I’m not sure if it makes sense to buy a Frankford Arsenal Reloading Stand or temporarily mount and dismount my press directly to my wooden bench each time I reload. If the latter, how would I do it conveniently? My work bench has a 1” x 4” “lip” attached to the front side, making temporary mounting and dismounting inconvenient (or it least it seems that way to me).
If I were to temporarily mount the press to my bench, would there be certain models (single stage) that would be more convenient to mount/dismount? For example, would there be advantages to a smaller press like the RCBS “Reloader Special 5” or “Partner” instead of the “Rock Chucker Supreme”? (I would never reload anything larger than 30-06). Thanks.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

You could mount your press to an old, thick plastic chopping board or piece of lumber. Then you could use C-clamps to attach it to your work bench when you are ready to reload.

I would give my highest recommendation to the Rock Chucker Supreme press. They are built very strong and should last a lifetime and more to whoever you pass it to. The Partner Press cannot load some of the larger shells and you just might buy a larger caliber rifle in the future.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

I have a regular loading bench with two presses mounted on it but for comfort and convienience I built this stand w/adapters to be able to set up a press anywhere.

this happens to be a RCS press but will accommodate a JR2, JR5, RC and this press.......probably alot more
haskins02

Post by haskins02 »

Thanks skb2706 and Skipper. Since I am not that "handy", it seems that attaching the press to a flat board and C clamping it to the bench might be the best approach for me. Do you think that mounting to a piece of 1/2" plywood would be strong enough (I have a sheet I don't know what to do with)? I’m not sure I am up to constructing what skb2706 has, but thanks for the photo.

Also, since I would be using a single stage press, is it OK to screw in the powder measure to the top of the press and load the cases that way. Or is there a great advantage to separately mounting the powder measure?

I appreciate your input.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I would get the thickest board you can, the press it heavy and your bench will need to hold it. My bench has 1 1/2 inches of plywood.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

haskins02 wrote:Also, since I would be using a single stage press, is it OK to screw in the powder measure to the top of the press and load the cases that way. Or is there a great advantage to separately mounting the powder measure?
I would get an RCBS powder mersure stand, I like it the most.
haskins02

Frankford Arsenal Reloading Stand

Post by haskins02 »

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if my pathetic little work bench is going to hold up to a reloading press. Anyone have any experience with the Frankford Arsenal Reloading Stand. Check out the customer ratings on Midway, they all give it top ratings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=155024
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

If you are just reloading .204 and similar sizes you should not need to exert that much pressure on your press. I have been reloading .222 for 30+ years and I always use a old hardwood kitchen chair. I C clamp it to the chair and use a childs small chair to sit on when I resize. I have a large shop but I like working in my wife's way in the kitchen. LOL

I clamp my powder measure to the kitchen counter.

When I am not reloading I put the chair with the press still attached in my shop.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
crazy2medic
.204 Ruger Guns: custom .204 left hand bolt.

Post by crazy2medic »

I built me a reloading bench out of a 3'x3' 3/4 inch plywood sheet that I found. attached fold out legs to it! I can set up to reload in my living room in five minutes and take it down about as quick! I use a lee "c" press and it well handle reloading the .204 easy, I've reloaded over a thousand rounds of .204 and this set up works really well for me! I've even drilled through the the plywood under the press, glued the cap from a water bottle so that when I'm decapping the spent primers go into a empty water bottle and don't end up in the carpet! Wife liked that Idea!
Coyote, Cat, Crow, 204 fodder!
haskins02

Post by haskins02 »

Thanks joghotrod and crazy2medic. It seems that I can get by with less "sophistication" than I had previously thought. But besides the fact that .204 Ruger does not take a lot of force to reload, would the selection of the press make any difference? For example, would using an RCBS Rockchucker versus a smaller and lighter press effect how strong the press mounting needs to be, or would the press itself be a non-issue with regards to press mounting. Thanks.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I don't think it would matter which press you use, but maybe somebody else knows for sure.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

A good press has closer tolerances (less play) and will distort less under load keeping the shellholder squared with the dies.
204 try it you'll like it!
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I used to have my press mounted on a thick board and c-clamp it to a work mate. Just fold up the work mate when you finish.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

I am a newb here, nice board guys. I call my reloading setup a spacesaver. This may give you an idea on how to proceed. An old truckstop cafe table base with a piece of 1/4 in. steel plate mounted on top to bolt stuff to. Only takes up 30 inches of width and fits between my dresser and chair in the bedroom. 2 measures on the left, 3 presses mid, and trimmer stuff and tumbler right. Scale is mounted on a shelf above. Hopefully the pic will come up.

I have close ups of how stuff is arranged if anyone is interested. Don Wedow
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

i mounted my mec jr to the board and clamp deal as my bench is not very big. i Can just pick it up and put it on the floor when i am not shotshell reloading. My bench is an old (old) treddle sewing machine frame.
solid steel with 2x 10 rough cut hemlock top.Bench weighs over 200 lbs
and was a beech to get upstairs . but it is pretty steady. My rockchucker is permanently bolted. and the mec Gets moved.