first time reloader

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
cracker

first time reloader

Post by cracker »

I have a good friend that has been reloading for years and knows his stuff. He will be taking me under his wing to teach me the ropes soon, and I cant wait.
I shoot i cz 527 varminter with 24 inch barrel and have once fired (in my gun) hornady brass that i would like to use. the only reason i am getting into this is i cant find 35 gr bergers in a factory load and need some way to spend my free time LOL
Is any one willing to share their secret load for this gun and brass with the 35 gr bergers. I know all guns very and can be picky but i would like to start out close so i dont waste a lot of time and trouble to develope a good load for my dear girl.
please fill in the blanks
primer________________
brass Hornady
powder___________________
charge of that powder________________
overall length____________________
bullet 35 grain berger____________-
seating depth__________________
please remember I know nothing so if there is more that I should know please include it.
I love to shoot off a bench and clover leaf my groups, the 32 grain v-max do that. but i am looking for a minute of coyote round that drops them now. 1 inch is acceptable to me and the yotes dont seem to care if I am an inch off.
Thanks to all that make this site happen
Sportingly
Cracker
p.s would love to hear your 35 gr berger pet load Silverfox I know I saw it once but cant seem to find it
edited to ask more ?s
Sportingly
cracker
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My favorite 35 grain Berger load shoots just under a inch at 200 yards. 28.2 H4895.Rem 7 1/2 primer,Winchester brass.My length from base to tip is 2.265. You need to get a Stoney Point Chamber-All tool from http://www.sinclairintl.com to find out what "OVERALL LENGTH" your chamber will allow for each type of bullet used. :wink:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: first time reloader

Post by acloco »

cracker wrote:I have a good friend that has been reloading for years and knows his stuff. He will be taking me under his wing to teach me the ropes soon, and I cant wait.

Is any one willing to share their secret load for this gun and brass with the 35 gr bergers. I know all guns very and can be picky but i would like to start out close so i dont waste a lot of time and trouble to develope a good load for my dear girl.

I love to shoot off a bench and clover leaf my groups, the 32 grain v-max do that. but i am looking for a minute of coyote round that drops them now. 1 inch is acceptable to me and the yotes dont seem to care if I am an inch off.

p.s would love to hear your 35 gr berger pet load Silverfox I know I saw it once but cant seem to find it
edited to ask more ?s
I snipped some of your post.

You need to work up the load for YOUR rifle. They are ALL a bit different.

This is the only SAFE way to do it.

Besides the components, tools, & process of reloading, there is a TON of variables that play into this. Temperature, elevation, etc, etc.

There is no shortcut to accuracy.

At most....if you followed the thread that I posted about 280 different loads (6 powders & 7 bullets)...it really does not take that much time to work up loads.

Yep...I probably have 2 hours into all of them....but the two hours spent at the front of my reloading bench will pay itself back several times over when I am shooting. I will know what works in my rifle.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

cracker--acloco is giving you some VERY GOOD advice. THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL LOAD THAT FITS ALL RIFLES. While you can draw some general direction from loads used by other shooters, you really do need to start about 7% to 10% below the maximum listed loads and work your way up with YOUR rifle. Your sweet spot can be found, but only by you and only if you are willing to spend some time working to find it.

So while you have the the thought:
I know all guns very and can be picky but i would like to start out close so i dont waste a lot of time and trouble to develope a good load for my dear girl.
Also keep the following in mind:

I have seen many reports of a one shooter using 28.0 gr. of Brand X powder and using primer brand Y and casing Brand Z, etc. in one rifle and it is completely safe and he gets 3,800 fps from it. Yet another shooter uses the exact same combination and gets only 3,675 fps from it. And yet another shooter uses the exact same combination and blows primers. These rifles are individuals unto themselves it seems, so my advice is while it may take a little bit more of your precious time, hopefully you won't lose any fingers, eyesight, etc. in working up your load.

The load I use for my 35 gr. FB HP Berger bullets is WAY ON THE HOT SIDE. There really isn't a GOOD shortcut to finding the most accurate load for YOUR rifle.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
RD

Post by RD »

Cracker
My best load so far for the 35 gr Berger is 28.0 gr of H 4895 at overall length at 2.300 Winchester brass and Rem 7 1/2 primer I started at 26.5 and worked my way up 2 tenths at a time untill I started getting close to Hodgdon max and then wen .1 at a time untill I found the one that worked for me. By the way what was the load for 32 gr V-Max you mentioned?

RD
cracker

Post by cracker »

O K guys i get the drift, no lazy mans way out. I am aware of the fact that all rifles are different just thought I could find a starting point. Thanks for the info we want to stay safe. RD the 32 grain v max were hornady factory loads.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

My 39gr BK load is way beyond published max but I came up to it .2grs & then .1 until velocity stopped climbimg by the previous loads average. Not the safest way to do it we watched for various signs. Folks here just want you to be able to post your stories is all. Good Luck!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

cracker wrote:O K guys i get the drift, no lazy mans way out. I am aware of the fact that all rifles are different just thought I could find a starting point. Thanks for the info we want to stay safe. RD the 32 grain v max were hornady factory loads.
Sportingly
Cracker
These, for the most part, are machine made. Some precision to firearms...but not meticulous....just firearms for the masses.

Would HATE to hear of somebody getting hurt from info off of the net.

Of interest, have you looked at the 204 Load Data link? If so, notice that 32 gr & 35 gr bullets show the same powder range. Interesting.

Oh...the other item...this is a small & extremely fast cartridge. Pressure comes up quick...REAL quick.