I guess I need a new trimming method...

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Get the RCBS trimmer with a three way cutting head and trim, chamfer and deburr all in one operation. One shell holder works for fired and unfired cases and the adjustments will let you trim to any length. No need for files or anything else. Case mouths are square and ready to load. Just change the shellholder and the pilot in the three way cutter and you are ready for the next caliber. No muss no fuss.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

When you get to trimming in a trimming die, you dont ever take material off the die ? Even with a flat file? And it doesnt deform the case mouth? I've heard of it before but never understood how it would work well. $22 bucks sounds purdy though.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

When I first got mine I did not have a "fine" file so I tryed a sharpening stone. It worked great but did begin to wear the die. I then bought a fine file. I quesstimate I trimmed 2000 rds with it and have probably lost one to two thousandths off the top. If I had not started with the stone maybe it would not have worn at all, who knows?

As for deforming the case mouth its never happened to me. The key is a fine file. The finer the better IMHO. I'm sure a wood rasp would cause damage ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trim dies are hardened at the factory. A file won't touch them, giving many years of service, but a stone will break right through the case hardening right away.

Just imagine a surface grinder in a machine shop; it surfaces steel, all steel. But it uses a stone on the steel to grind it away..... :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Thanks all for the info!!! Soon I will be reloading my 1st lot, the second time so I will measure them for trimming. I still havent decided which route to go. It still depends on the funds available at purchase time, ya, know? :cry:
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.