flashhole deburring?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

NuMatthu

It is possible to over cut flash holes. I chuck my tool in my drill and spin the tool until it stops vibrating. That is my signal that I have removed the burr and am taking an even amount off the flash hole. Then I lock the stop in place and proceed with the rest of the cases. When the burr is gone and you get to the hole the tool will stop chattering and run smooth.

There is a lot of brass out there that has big chunks on the inside flash hole. I take it that it's due to the fact that the holes are punched rather than drilled. Winchester is the worst. You would be amazed what I find inside new brass.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

With the K&M tool there's a small cone right above the cutter that bottoms out on the inside of the case , so I don't think you can remove to much brass it just stops cutting , now on some of the other tools the stop is up on the case mouth and over cutting would be possible if the stop isn't set at the right spot like Skipper mentioned. Rick correct me if I am wrong!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Spot-on as usual CH. Correct in all respects, and the exact reason I went with the K&M.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

i took a file to my k&m and cut two window about 3/16 up on the flutes to keep cuttings from packing in works pretty good still use a paper clip when longer chip stop it up
hunterapp

FH deburr

Post by hunterapp »

Robert Looks like you are doing some all out machining. Or at least one seems to be removing considerably more material that the burr, if one needs to install windows to evacuate chips.
hunterapp

FH deburr?

Post by hunterapp »

How are you determining how deep to run your K&M deburr tool?
flunkedchemistry

Post by flunkedchemistry »

Here's just a couple of informative (not speculative) links at BR Central on this subject. If you do a search, you will probably find a lot more like this as it is a frequent topic among the posters there.

I'm surprised they and other posts like them had skipped by the more knowledgeable people here. If a dufus dummy like me can READ and find them.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthr ... imer+holes

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthr ... lash+holes

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthr ... flash+hole

PS to skipper. I'm still working on my math skills per your directive. Is a couple OK to use for three?
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: FH deburr?

Post by WrzWaldo »

hunterapp wrote:How are you determining how deep to run your K&M deburr tool?
That tool will only cut to a fixed depth. You cannot (without serious modification) adjust it. It gauges off the bottom of the case, not the neck.
hunterapp

Post by hunterapp »

WrzWaldo Thanks for the reply & flunkedchemistry I appreciate you broadening our perspective with the BR Links.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

flunkedchemistry, Some interesting stuff on those posts. I read that board a lot. Wish I had 25,000 disposable dollars and a whole lot more time. Oh, and a window in my reloading room that opened onto my private range.
skipper

Post by skipper »

flunkedchemistry

In most circles a couple is generally regarded as two. Thanks, for the links. It's guess it's O.K. to post links now?
flunkedchemistry

skipper wrote:flunkedchemistry

In most circles a couple is generally regarded as two. Thanks, for the links. It's guess it's O.K. to post links now?
And thank you for the math help skipper.

Did you mean to say "I guess it's O.K. to post links now?" rather than, "It's guess it's O.K. to post links now?" Use that spell checker and check your diction. Isn't that what you tried to tell me in that one PM??????

As for links, its always acceptable and beneficial to post links when they provide additional information to the discussion. When they just repeat what someone else has already said is when they are't really that helpful other than to just boost your post count. :lol:
skipper

Post by skipper »

flunkedchemistry wrote:
skipper wrote:flunkedchemistry

And thank you for the math help skipper.

Did you mean to say "I guess it's O.K. to post links now?" rather than, "It's guess it's O.K. to post links now?" Use that spell checker and check your diction. Isn't that what you tried to tell me in that one PM??????

As for links, its always acceptable and beneficial to post links when they provide additional information to the discussion. When they just repeat what someone else has already said is when they are't really that helpful other than to just boost your post count. :lol:
Yes, I agree spell checking is a good thing. Glad you pointed that out.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I like your style Skipper! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

flunkedchemistry

skipper wrote: Yes, I agree spell checking is a good thing. Glad you pointed that out.
And I'm glad you are working on it too. That one wasn't as obvious as the last PM from me, was it?

PS to Rick..... He started the whole thing with a series of nast, accusatory PM's to me over the Christmas Season. Not only was I criticised for my posts, but I was even branded as being a wife abuser and child abuser by someone who doesn't even know what kind of person I really am just because I didn't buckle under and personaly apologize to him publically on the forum when he wanted me to about the Cerro-Safe issue. :roll:

I'm really impressed with his "behind the scenes style". It's very revealing about the other old skipper. Don't ever get on his bad side by telling him Cerro-Safe is made of bismuth and not lead. It hasn't been pretty since my first post here.

WARNING - No spell checking was done on this note....read at your own rsik.... uh, risk :lol: (Pwhe! Glad i Caut that won meyeself jsut reding it.)