Sierra or v-max?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Sierra or v-max?

Post by Va varminter »

Are you guys getting better results with the 32gr. BK, or the 32gr. V-Max? I know it really depends on the gun, but everyone is doing well with the 39gr. BK. I would like to try the 32gr.BK, but I don't want to end up wasteing money if their score is not as good as the 39gr. Are they as user friendly as the 39grBK?
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

On paper I get better groups with 32 bkings and 32 btips than I get with the 32 vmax not a big difference just a little. I use Benchmark 27.8 gr. for 4140 fps. When I shoot gophers or prairie dogs I think the 32 vmax results in more flying pieces. Beyond any shadow of a doubt the 39 bking is the best performer in both my Savages with any powder I use, and it is a very efficient killer of small rodents at long ranges.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I shoot 39gr.BK's in my Savage as well. But I have an Encore that shoots 32's alot better than 39's.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

My Savage 12VLP likes the 39 gr. Sierra BKs, but some of the 32 gr. Sierra BKs tumble when velocities get much above 3,875 fps. I can shoot the 32 gr. V-Max bullets at 4,255 fps and have no problems with tumbling bullets.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Silverfox,

I have gone back and forth with Sierra and Savage on the 32 SBK's for 6 months. Do you think it is the rifle or the bullet? After a LOT of rounds and changing cleaning patches I think I have discovered what Sierra would call a "rough spot" about 8" from the end of my barrel. I bought the rifle with the intentions of shooting the 32 SBK but you get a bit dissapointed when 1 to 3 out of five tumble. I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending it to Savage only to be told that it is within tolerance. I wish I had a borescope but I just have to rely on the few fibers of a patch that always seem to remain in this "spot". Have you been able to detect anything in your bore?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Shooter: I know it's not really apples to apples, but my Sako M75 Varmint loves both the 32 and 39 BK's, shoots them reliably every time into at least the .3's, sometimes better when the wind gods have something else to do.

Sounds like it would be worth sending that one back to the factory, as they don't want a barrel like that out there either. Ron Coburn is very proud of where Savage is now, and a barrel like that gives them an undeserved bad rap. Just something to consider. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

gunsaregood

Bullet Tumble

Post by gunsaregood »

I loaded up 32SBK, all at 2.35COL (or 1.978 with my bullet comp). The powder was Benchmark in 27, 27.5, and 28.

Every shot was a keyhole (some, very pretty looking).

I also shot some 30 Bergers, at 2.25 COL, Benchmark, at 27.5, 28, 28.5. The 27.5 shot 3 in the same hole (only 75 yards) and the other 2 were pretty close.

I assumed the problem on the SBK was that I had it seated too far out. I was afraid the bullet tilted before it hit the lands because there was so little in the case mouth. I seated the Bergers deeper because there just seems to be so little holding in the case otherwise.

Anyway, maybe the tumble is a result of Sierra, and not seating depth.

I just re-seated the SBK to 2.30 COL, and I was just on my way out to the range to try it. I'll post the results later.

EDITED: Back from the range. This time I remembered to take my chrono.

The 32 SBK were flying straight with the shorter COL, BUT, only up to about 3900fps. Then they started to tumble.

It's gotta be a Sierra thing
Last edited by gunsaregood on Sat May 05, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firearms ownership is a right
Firearms safety is a responsibility
Learn today and teach others
There is no safety in ignorance
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Shooter--I have a borescope and cannot detect any "rough spots" that would cause ONLY the 32 gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullets to tumble. That is the ONLY bullet that has tumbled and I am up to 1,827 shots down the barrel.

I was really disappointed with the 32 gr. Sierras. I was so sure that since the 39 gr. version shot lights out that the 32 grainers would do likewise. I laid in 2,000 of them only to have to sell most of them at a loss. I guess it is all for the better though, as the wind plays havoc with the lighter-weight bullets anyway.

You should probably bite the bullet and send the rifle in to Savage so you can get their "expert" opinion about your barrel. I know that means you will be without the rifle for a bit, but it would be better to get that out of the road now, before colony rodent shooting time gets into full swing.

Good luck on whatever route you take and let us know how this all shakes out.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Silverfox wrote:My Savage 12VLP likes the 39 gr. Sierra BKs, but some of the 32 gr. Sierra BKs tumble when velocities get much above 3,875 fps. I can shoot the 32 gr. V-Max bullets at 4,255 fps and have no problems with tumbling bullets.
Identical results with my 12FV.

I also disintegrate 32 BK's at a speeds at speeds of 4057 and above.

I believe the Sierra bullets have a longer bearing surface than the Hornady couterparts - hence, only the problem of tumbling with the Sierra's.

Of note, if Bergers were not so expensive, I would ONLY shoot 35 gr projectiles from mine.

Also...a question. Has anybody taken the time to moly coat some 32 or 39's to check for keyholing out of the same rifle??????
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I moly all my varmint bullets 20, 22, 24 calibers. I have two savage 12's and my buddy has another. We load 32 bkings with 27.8 of benchmark to a velocity of 4090 to 4150 in the 3 rifles. Never have seen a bullet tumble and we get 100 yd. 5 shot groups in the 3's and 4's with these rifles. I think it may be worth a try to moly coat and test. Obviously not all rifles are reacting the same.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

acloco

I've tumbled Sierra 32's using both moly and WS2. Also tumbled 39's and had a batch that was loosing the plastic tips on the way to the target. Most people have great luck with them but not me. I have shot the 39's out of my new tube with no mishaps. The 40 Bergs I tried next performed so well I stopped looking. (at least for now)
Sierras have the thinnest jacket of the twenties. This I determined by bending every .20 cal pill on the market with two pliers. The sierras snap pretty easily compared to the rest. The Bergers seem the toughest. Pretty scientific hah. If there is any defect or rough copper accumulation going on in the barrel their likely to tumble at some point.

Cheapest Bergers I know of are at Powder Valley. You might have to wait for them to be in stock and then wait a little longer for a slow shipping department but the price is right.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

jo191145 wrote:acloco

I've tumbled Sierra 32's using both moly and WS2. Also tumbled 39's and had a batch that was loosing the plastic tips on the way to the target.
I can help you with this problem....it is the seater plug in your die causing this problem. The seater plug in MOST dies is not deep enough to accept the BT and BK bullets......and/or, the point of contact is just below the junction line at the copper/plastic tip.

Solution? Drill out your seating plug a little deeper and a little bigger in diameter. Then polish to get rid of the sharp edge. I used a bullet with lapping compound or Flitz applied. Chuck the bullet in a slow speed drill - SLOW is your FRIEND here!

The problem will REALLY show up if you ever try to seat A Max's.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I don't think the cause of tumbling or lost tips can be traced to the seater plug. Same scientific test. Try to rip out one of those nylon tips with a plier. I've never succeded in getting out the root. They're tough!!
In my opinion the seater plug cannot damage/loosen the tip with normal neck tension.
I've loaded every bullet on the market besides the 50 Bergs and never had one failure of any sort except the Sierras.
I will be retrying the 39's later in the season. Sure do like the BC. They are going to have a hard time beating the accuracy I'm getting out of the 40 Bergs right now. :D

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
gunsaregood

seater

Post by gunsaregood »

FWIW I'm using Redding Comp seater die. Anything's possible, but I hope I don't have to drill out the plug to make it work.
Firearms ownership is a right
Firearms safety is a responsibility
Learn today and teach others
There is no safety in ignorance
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

In the Sierras I've only tried the 39, and they shoot very well behind H335. But I get just as small a groups with 40 VMAX and RL 15. So, since the Vmax costs less I'll stay with them.