Interesting conversation

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Sask Boy

Interesting conversation

Post by Sask Boy »

I was talking with a couple of gentlemen regarding match primers over regular primers and they both have shooting for many years. I was advised by the one who has shot with almost every big name hunter that I have heard of and he also tests many of the top products.
He advised that even the top guys normally never use match or brench rest primers unless they can not get regular primers. They do use match bullets even for hunting both agreed that the best bullet in their opinion was a Hornady A-Max.
It was quite the interesting afternoon watching one of them put two in the same hole on a couple of different occasions this was at 200 yards. He was using a Icon 308 with a nightforce scope.
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Interesting conversation

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sask: Interesting. I'm then wondering why, when reading the BR match results in Precision Shooting every month, why virtually every shooter in the top ten at every match ALL use match primers...... Kind of leaves a guy wondering.

As match primers are hand sorted for consistency under high magnification, it only makes sense that they are better, just by sheer reason. And you can't argue with the top BR shooters in North America as to them being superior. When you say "top" guy at the range, I'm just wondering who that actually was, and what qualifies him to make such a contrary statement.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bk63044

Post by bk63044 »

When the primers are inspected to make them match primers so few are rejected that you are basically paying someone to look at them. What is the point in paying the extra cost.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

bk63044,

Are you saying CCI stamps the "B" on the cup after the primer is made?

CV32

Post by CV32 »

WrzWaldo wrote:bk63044,
Are you saying CCI stamps the "B" on the cup after the primer is made?
I expect that would be a rather unhealthy practise. :lol:
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

"No". The B is stamped on special material after punching out the round format on selected material chosen specifically for match grade primers on a lower production line in the plant designated just for match quality.

You're not just paying for someone to "look" at those primers, as both plants I've toured have special lines just for match primers. The ones that fail in the "match" line are regulated to the "standard" line.

Again, if there was no difference, do you actually think world-class BR shooters would use them? Let's use some common sense here guys.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

I was just stirring the pot a bit. :twisted:
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I won't bother arguing the primers. The A-Max in 30cal anyway are a great bullet, For the price they can't be beat.
308 at 200yds, 5 in one hole or keep trying. I've been trying for awhile now ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Waldo: Yeah, I knew that, but an "unenlightened" person reading the post may not have gotten the humor.

("yeah, hey Marv, now that we've got that lot of 10,000 primers done, go stamp them with the "B"............holy crap....what was that NOISE? :lol: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Good point Rick.

jo191145 - And the 140 grain .264 A-Max is a precision instrument as well. Heck that bullet is just about as long as my 17RFB brass!

I like the A-Maxl.
bk63044

Post by bk63044 »

I did not say that the match primers are the same as standard primers. They do go through different production lines. The reason for match primers has been that they are more consistent but the consistency for standard primes are better today than in previous years. I have had as good accuracy out of Winchester primers as I have had out of some match primers.
bk63044

Post by bk63044 »

When the primers are inspected to make them match primers so few are rejected that you are basically paying someone to look at them. What is the point in paying the extra cost.
This did not come out right. I was at work and kept getting interrupted. It was supposed to say that the one of the biggest difference in match primers is that they are visually inspected and so few are rejected that you are paying someone to look at them.
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

bk63044 wrote:I did not say that the match primers are the same as standard primers. They do go through different production lines. The reason for match primers has been that they are more consistent but the consistency for standard primes are better today than in previous years. I have had as good accuracy out of Winchester primers as I have had out of some match primers.
I have to agree with you, I have not had a primer related misfire (that was not my fault) in years.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bk: No arguement here, it just boils down to if you are willing to pay a little extra for the higher degree of consistency and uniformity that the BR or Match primers offer. When I'm trying to shave a extra tenth off my groups, I'll gladlly use Match primers, and the same goes for virtually all my varmint rifles. Hunting rifles and hunting calibers? Naaww, standard primers are just fine thank you. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA