Loads for 34 gr Midway Dogtowns ?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
CV32

Loads for 34 gr Midway Dogtowns ?

Post by CV32 »

Looking for loads for these 34 gr Midway Dogtown HPFB bullets, preferably with H4895 ?
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Loads for 34 gr Midway Dogtowns ?

Post by glenn asher »

I generally save my H4895 for the 39 Sierras, and use Benchmark for the 34s. I've only tried a couple of loads, my favored being 27.3 Benchmark with them (7 1/2 primers, Win. cases). I've got this big jug of Benchmark, and I wouldn't want it to go to waste...........

While you might not have any, 2230-C works pretty fair with them, too, I used 27.0 with that powder. I'm still not where I want to be, with DP-68, I haven't found a sweet spot for that one yet, but I've been housebound most of the summer with a bad leg.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
hoegebear
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem XR 100

Post by hoegebear »

Glenn, Have you worked up any loads of dp-68 for 32 or 40gr vmax? Thanks, Jim
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

hoegebear, nothing yet with DP-68, at least nothing too spectacular. I had (have) high hopes, but they haven't yet materialized. Then again, I haven't gotten anything really good with it in .223 or .221 either. It's been somewhat disappointing so far, but it might just be my overly cautious nature when working with unknowns :? I can't afford to bend any rifles just right now, so I've been working up reeeeeeeallllllllll slow.
I've been laid up all summer with a bum knee, too, so I haven't been out to the range much. The heat has been awful around here, too hot to waste the time and gas for a range trip. It hasn't been a stellar year, to be sure.

Last range trip, I DID try 25.5 DP-68 with Dogtown 34s, it was a yawnfest. It's not terribly awful with 32 Hornadys, the only load I've tried was 26.0 DP68. My rifles don't handle the heavier bullets too well, so I haven't used any 40 Hornadys since the first boxes I tried, no point in wasting barrel life if the gun doesn't like them.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ethan
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by Ethan »

glenn asher wrote: My rifles don't handle the heavier bullets too well, so I haven't used any 40 Hornadys since the first boxes I tried, no point in wasting barrel life if the gun doesn't like them.

Shove some more powder in it Glenn. :chin:

:wink:

Ethan
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I can't afford to bend any rifles just right now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

So is the consensus that Dogdown bullets are not really for the dogs?
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

They aren't bad if you keep things under 250 yards or so. Otherwise, the ballistic coefficient is like a soccer ball. They are very popular in Australia for "cat-sized animals :lol: " and other feral critters.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I took care of a couple large sized prairie dogs today...but nothing over 100 yards.

Literally, tore them up.

I was using 27.0 grains of H4895 with CCI450 primers.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Further tests of the Dogtown bullets and Benchmark verified today, what I said earlier, at least in the two rifles we shot today, 5/8" or so groups, plenty good enough for most things we shoot at. I used 7 1/2 primers to set them off, I think the groups would shrink with 205Ms, but I was satisfied with the economy sparklers.