Loading 40gr V-Max

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Outlaws

Loading 40gr V-Max

Post by Outlaws »

1. What is the suggested OAL? (I am loading to my rifle, but it would still be nice to know)

2. I have my FL sizing die set 1/2 turn back from touching the shell plate holder like the Redding instructions say for loading into a single rifle. But the brass wasn't tight to start with. Basically I can see the resizing mark on the neck and it is about .060 from reaching the shoulder. Is that okay to use? A dummy round chambered fine like that. The bullet seems to be held nice and secure.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Loading 40gr V-Max

Post by acloco »

Is this new or fired brass from your rifle?

There is several opinions on setting a sizing die or what type of sizing die to use.

#1 - some people full length size every time. Nothing WRONG with this, but it does work the brass more than then next two.

#2 - partial full length sizing with a full length die - sounds like this is what you are doing.

#3 - neck size only

#4 - bump the shoulders with a shoulder bump die and then size the neck only with a neck sizing die.

Answer to your question, and it will NOT be answered in one trip to the range....use the method that works the best for you and your rifle.

Of the above four methods, some will work when reloading various rifles...some will not.

The goal of resizing, in my opinion, size the brass enough to chamber, the neck to hold a bullet, AND provide coenctric brass and loaded rounds when you are done.
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

I went ahead and readjusted the die to size all the way. I forgot that about 50 of the rounds were fired in a No.1 before I traded up to the Cooper.

Hopefully by the time I shoot this stuff up I can acquire a neck sizing die.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Outlaws wrote: 1. What is the suggested OAL? (I am loading to my rifle, but it would still be nice to know)
The Hornady book says 2.245

Hodgdon says 2.250
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

WrzWaldo wrote:
Outlaws wrote: 1. What is the suggested OAL? (I am loading to my rifle, but it would still be nice to know)

Hodgdon says 2.250
Yikes!

I am at 2.374". That is .005 from the lands (using a comparator for ogive). Seems like a big difference. Anyone else get that big of difference between suggested and what the rifle can actually take? I got a Cooper.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
acloco

Post by acloco »

Yes. My Savage likes 0.050" off the lands...go closer and the groups open up.
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

WrzWaldo wrote:

Hodgdon says 2.250
That is for 40 grain V-Max? Because I have one factory 32 grain V-Max left that is 2.240. It seems hard to believe that a 40 wouldn't be longer than .010.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

acloco wrote:Yes. My Savage likes 0.050" off the lands...go closer and the groups open up.
I will seat some of them down a bit more.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Outlaws wrote:
WrzWaldo wrote:

Hodgdon says 2.250
That is for 40 grain V-Max? Because I have one factory 32 grain V-Max left that is 2.240. It seems hard to believe that a 40 wouldn't be longer than .010.
The Hornady books calls for 2.245 for the 32 and 40 (I will verify again when I get home this evening).

Hodgdon calls for 2.25 for the 32 and 40 V-Max, 2.24 for the 35 Berger, and 2.30 for the 50 Berger.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I load the Sierra 39BK out to 2.32 in my XR-100.
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Outlaws wrote: Yikes!

I am at 2.374". That is .005 from the lands (using a comparator for ogive). Seems like a big difference. Anyone else get that big of difference between suggested and what the rifle can actually take? I got a Cooper.
The long jump is the rule rather than the exception for the 204 Ruger. I know it defies all logic, but it seems to work.
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

So out of my 20 rounds, I seated 5 each off the lands @ .005, .050, and .100. I then seated 5 @ a bit over the suggest OAL (via ogive of course). I forget the number for those last 5, as it isn't in front of me at the moment. But they are all sitting over 28 grains of BLC2...or at least as close as the Dillon will throw it.

Hopefully one of them will give me something good to work with.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
acloco

Post by acloco »

WHOA!

You are trying to work up match quality loads with a Dillon powder drop or a Dillon beam or electronic scale?

If you are trying to do this with a powder drop on a 450/550/650....you can stop.

I am NOT being mean...just saving you a ton of frustration.
Outlaws

Post by Outlaws »

So.....I shouldn't bother with were the bullet is seated? It obviously won't be the same as a single stage with every powder charged trickled perfectly, but there is nothing wrong with getting the bullet seated somewhere it does good at.

My rifle shoots extremely good groups with factory Hornady ammunition. I would like to think my Dillon can match that factory ammo for consistency.
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Outlaws

I think what acloco is trying to say is that trying to conduct a test of seating depths to determine what your rifle likes best without consistent charge weights might be hard to do. If inconsistent charge weights are causing your groups to open up, you will not be able to tell which seating depth your rifle really likes.

I would try the test with loads that are weighed on a good old balance beam scale just so you can rule out any charge weight inconsistencies. Good Luck. You can beat the factory ammo when it comes to accuracy. Consistency is the most important ingredient. Don't forget to check bullet run out.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
acloco

Post by acloco »

Skipper described what I attempted.

I have a Dillon 550B...excellent piece of machinery that can and will produce some QUALITY ammo. But, it is equipped with a not so accurate power dispensor. Ball powder is good. Not great, but good.