another 204 Ruger Question for the masters

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

another 204 Ruger Question for the masters

Post by cshooter »

Well I've just came back from my second shooting session and I still seem to be haveing problems. I cleaned the barrel of my Ruger 77 sporter and besides the 1st shot being off to the right a couple inches, the next 3 or 4 rounds go right into the zero at 200 yrds with a 1 inch group, every group. But all the rounds after that start to scatter in a 4 or 5 inch bunch around the first 4 rounds fired. Then I'll clean the barrel good with some Hopp's #9 and try again. Same thing - the first 4 shots are a nice little 1 inch group and the last 6 scatter. When I gave the gun a good cleaning with a brush, copper solvant and dry patches, I saw only a little blue green color at first, so I really don't think the fouling was too bad. I'ts funny how after cleaning, the groups all turn out the same. I took 8 - 10 minutes between shot so the barrel did'nt get hot. I guess I can clean it then go out and hunt as long as I don't shoot more than 5 times. :lol: Or maybe not. Of course, every varmint I've shot has very rarely taken more than 2 rounds to stop it. And the 204 seems to hit hard enough to only take one if I do my part. :)
I tried another load or two and they did this also. But I did'nt cut them back a 1/2 grain like I wanted to get done. What's my next step ?
Outlaws

Re: another 204 Ruger Question for the masters

Post by Outlaws »

What's my next step ?
Float the barrel.
I took 8 - 10 minutes between shot so the barrel did'nt get hot.
You mean between groups? Or you took an hour to fire 10 rounds? How long were you at the range for? :eek:
BattleTone
Online firearm guides
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

You need to polish the bore.
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

I did free float the barrel and added a Timney trigger. These two steps increased the accuracy some. It was stringing up and down really bad, like 4 -5 inches, but I started cooling the barrel with a wet rag on those hot sunny day's and did my testing in the morning early. I waited 10 minutes between each shot. I did find one place that a little bit of the stock was still touching the barrel underneath. So I sanded it down and put a coat of outdoor varnish over the bare wood to protect from humidity swelling- that really helped the up and down stringing. I used some Outers Foaming Bore cleaner on the barrel and it seemed to clean out any copper fouling. I kept spraying it in, wait 10 minutes, patch it out, - still blue foam, I'd do it again till it came out clean. And then the groups went down to around 1 inch at 200 yrds, at least the first 4 -5 shots did. Then opened up. I have some CR-10 ordered but have'nt tried it yet. I was shooting 39gr Sierra's with 25 grains of RE-10x.
How do I polish the bore ? I plan on takeing it to a gunsmith I know to get the stock bedded when I get the crops out this fall. Should I keep trying different loads untill I find one the gun likes or is it a gun problem. There's a few factory loads I have'nt tried and lots of handloads still out there. Anything else anybody can think of to help me get this rifle to it's true potential ? Or should I trade this Ruger for a Savage. I hear they are good right out of the box. Hmmm. :chin:
odes33

Post by odes33 »

How many shots have you fired? I'm not sure about Rugers but I've had two Savages that wouldn't shoot until I had about 110 rounds through it then they tightened up real nice.
Savage 12VLP Mueller Eraticator

58.3% of all statistics are made up.
Flying isn't dangerous, crashing is.
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

I put just over 100 rounds through it. And I have to admit I did'nt break the barrel in right. I also only cleaned it 2 or 3 times in that 100 rounds. My bad. Will change my ways and clean it better more often.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

cshooter wrote: How do I polish the bore ?
I'd start with David Tubb's "Final Finish"

Here's a bit of info on it.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/article_finalfinish.html

http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I would just keep shooting it. 1" groups at 200 are hard to be upset with. Maybe it's still just settlin in. Mine is a way different animal but it didn't group until I had 200+ down range. I think it'll come in for ya. Never had a problem with a M77.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
viper9696

Post by viper9696 »

ditto on the tubbs final finish I'm in the process of doing all my rifles,less fouling ,easier cleaning,and tighter groups on 4 rifles so far,you do have to tweak your powder charges after tubbs to keep the same fps(smoother bore less pressure)
cshooter

Post by cshooter »

I'll try to put another 100 or so rounds through this nice 204 Ruger 77 MK II and try the Final Finish barrel polish, and see how it works. Thanks fellas for the info. You've helped alot. I want to clear one thing up though, I'm not wineing about the 1 inch at 200 groups, I'm just concerned that I'm only getting that kind of accuracy for the first three or four shots after a time consuming cleaning job. I always try to check my gun's zero before I go coyote/varmint hunting to make sure I get a kill and not a cripple. I would be happy with a 2 - 3 inch consistant group at 200 for coyote, but after I check the zero I get a 4, 5, or bigger group and that's too much I feel. Most of the time I take varmints much closer, but there are those times (accross the field shot) that require better shooting. I've taken ALOT of small game with my 22 Hornet which gives me consistant 1' @ 100 yrd groups, but it falls off quick after 125 - 130 yrd. I had to pass on a coyote in the pasture the other day because it was around 150 to 230 yards, I figured, and the little Hornet just would not do a dependable job at that range. The 204, I hope, will be a real small game getter on the farther open country shots. If there are any other ideas out there, I would be grateful. Thanks again.