Help a complete noob

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Help a complete noob

Post by Mike »

I'm getting ready to order my first set of dies to start reloading for the .204 (with the help of a friend). Please forgive the ignorance of my post, but if I don't ask I won't learn. I want to get a neck-sizing die so that I can use fire-formed brass without resizing it (I hope I said that right :? ). My question is, do I need a crimping die as well? My friend says that he uses one for his .270 but I couldn't find one for the .204. What dies do I need to order so that I can get started?

Thanks for the patience!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Help a complete noob

Post by Hotshot »

Mike,

You can neck size with a standard resizing die. Just adjust it to size the neck and not the whole case( instructions with the die will help). You'll need a full length die anyway because you can only neck size so many times untill the shoulder must be bumped. I think all the major companies make good dies, but I have been most happy with Redding. Hunting loads are often crimped so the cartridges in the magazine don't come apart from recoil. I don't crimp my varmint loads ever and I don't think you'll find any bench rest shooters who do either. You can set most rifle seating dies to crimp (again just follow directions with the dies) pistol cartridges often have a separate die for crimping. If you get to large quantities of loading then you might buy a neck sizing only die for your needs. Good luck and be carefull as you start the reloading portion of this hobby, many of us find this to be a very satisfying aspect of the sport of kings.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

You're going to need both a bushing neck sizing die and a full length die. Forget the crimp.

Sooner or later you brass will become hard to chamber. You'll notice the bolt getting hard to close. Then you will need that Full Length die to bump the shoulders back a little. You might want to consider just buying a full length die and using it, set higher in the press, to partially neck size. It would save you a little money. It will still size the body somewhat, but not as much as setting the die so that the ram arm cams over like full length sizing.

If you have the money, then by all means, get both. I would highly recommend the Redding dies. Their seating dies keep the run out to a minimum. Run out is one of the known .204 accuracy killers.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Mike, there are no dumb questions, ask anything you need or want to. We all started out at the zero mark. Ask anything, any time.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gentlemen, I sincerely appreciate your help. I've been looking around at Midway for some dies and think I know what I need. Using this as an example, do I need other dies or will this cover me: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Thanks again, you guys have been most helpful!
Mike
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Mike

You can save yourself some money by buying the right dies the first time. Then you won't have to buy another set of dies later to get the right ones. Here's what I would buy. I tried to find a set but, I could only find them individually.

Competition Seating Die w/ Micrometer Top
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Full Length Sizing Die
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

These two dies will produce all the accuracy possible from the start.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Mike

Post by Mike »

Skipper,
Thank you for the links! I appreciate everyone's help and it looks like I have the info that I need to get started. Thanks again, everyone.