Reloading for 0 deg. F to 100 deg. F

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Apothideus
.204 Ruger Guns: AR build with JP Barrel

Reloading for 0 deg. F to 100 deg. F

Post by Apothideus »

Varget is giving me groups no bigger than .9" out of my AR with JP barrel (3x10 shot groups averaged...).
Will Benchmark hold consistency over the temp. range?
I am using Winchester brass (all that was available...), Federal Match primers, Sierra 32 and 39 gr BlitzKing bullets (both show same group sizes with 27.0 gr Varget and the group doesn't vary, that I can tell, with +/- .5 gr from 27.0... haven't tried the 32's with a hotter load yet).

Again, main concern is Benchmark holding through the weather...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Reloading for 0 deg. F to 100 deg. F

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Benchmark is one of Hodgon's Extreme powders, meaning it is resistant to variances in temp changes, but personally, I think you're asking alot for a powder to stay consistent from zero to 100*F. Plus, consider the fact that simple atmospherics physics dictate that the air is much thinner at high temp than down around zero, so even if the powder burned consistantly, your velocities will vary greatly just because of air density.

If you are asking if a load worked up at 0*F would also be safe at 100*F, I'd personally say "no", at least I would not trust it, even if using an Extreme powder. Why not just contact Hodgon and check with them to be on the safe side? Would I work up a max load at zero and shoot it at 100*F? "NO!"....but that's just me (ESPECIALLY in a gas gun!)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

You should try other powder and primer combinations. With a gas gun your pretty much limited on neck tension. Varget, H4895 & Benchmark are in Hodgdon's line of "Extreme" powder line. With S-39's I've had good luck with H4895 & Reloader 15 (Varget wasn't as good) but I would hesitate to use a slower burning powder (than RE15/Varget) in the 204. H4895 (which is faster burning than Varget), I've had real good luck with that using SBK 39gr's.

HTH
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

If 0-100 is a major concern then maybe a slow powder such as Varget is your best bet.
Slower powders tend to have larger accuracy nodes. Maybe not the best accuracy but larger nodes.
Therefor if you load at the bottom of your accuracy node in 0 degrees you'd be more apt to still be in the node at 100.
I also think it might be difficult to get enough Varget in a 204 case to get seriously in trouble. If you look at the data their compressed max loads usually exhibit less pressure than most.
Just runnin on memory here. Check that last statement for accuracy. ;)

At 100 degrees NEVER let your ammo burn in the sun. Bad idea.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

My thoughts on not using anything slower (Varget/Re=15) wasn't because of an overcharge but because of efficency and maybe velocity loss.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I agree Jim. Varget will not set any speed records in the 204. Its that inefficency that might make it the best for 0-100 tinkering tho. A much less chance of getting in trouble if it does'nt work too.

savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

Just to be safe i've been doing all of my brass prep (1100+ pieces) this winter and I am waiting for at least a 60' weekend to do load testing. As a begining reloader powder-tempature sensitivity has me a bit nervous; I would hate to find a load (close to max) that shoots great and end up with a potentially dagerous situation come June/July.

BTW I plan on using RL10x, Hornady brass, rem 7 1/2 BRs, and Hornady 40gr. out of my stock barreled Savage VLP and LRPV.

SR
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Apothideus

Post by Apothideus »

I was hoping Varget would be OK to use...
Here's the full story:
I have all my loading equipment in the U.P. of Michigan and the weather was cold when I had the time to test loads. I want to hand my rifle off to my brother for prairie dog shooting this summer but don't want to make him buy factory ammo. I have to leave for GA in May and won't be around to test for good warm weather rounds. My brother is new to reloading as well, but he isn't stupid or ignorant; if these rounds won't work, he will know.
... just wondering what some of the seasoned fellas have done with universal weather loads... I mean, factory loads make the cut just fine, so why can't mine?
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

jo191145 wrote:I agree Jim. Varget will not set any speed records in the 204. Its that inefficency that might make it the best for 0-100 tinkering tho. A much less chance of getting in trouble if it does'nt work too.
What has surprised me is how much faster (150 FPS in my CZ) RE15 is running over Varget. I thought these 2 were pretty close to one another in burn rate.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Apothideus wrote:I was hoping Varget would be OK to use...
Here's the full story:
I have all my loading equipment in the U.P. of Michigan and the weather was cold when I had the time to test loads. I want to hand my rifle off to my brother for prairie dog shooting this summer but don't want to make him buy factory ammo. I have to leave for GA in May and won't be around to test for good warm weather rounds. My brother is new to reloading as well, but he isn't stupid or ignorant; if these rounds won't work, he will know.
... just wondering what some of the seasoned fellas have done with universal weather loads... I mean, factory loads make the cut just fine, so why can't mine?
Personally, I'd like for an alternate powder (like H4895, Benchmark (in Hodgdon's "EXTREME" line of powders)) due to the lack of availability of Varget on the market right now. Hopefully, I't'll get better.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I've shot my Savage Predator rifle (22" barrel) in temps from 0-95 degrees with a load of 26.6gr Benchmark,CCI BR 4 and 35gr Berger. I had no accuracy,point of impact or pressure issues at all. Don't forget YOUR rifle might act differently!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Here's the full story:

Apothideus

Its safe to assume your loads should be fine. just make sure your brother does not leave them exsposed to the hot sun.
Along the lines of what Hawkeye said. I burn a max load of Win 748 winter and summer. 748 has a reputation for being temp sensitive. I've never seen anything strange happen. Shoots just as well in winter as it does in summer.

Apothideus

Post by Apothideus »

jo191145 wrote:
Here's the full story:

Apothideus

Its safe to assume your loads should be fine. just make sure your brother does not leave them exsposed to the hot sun.
Along the lines of what Hawkeye said. I burn a max load of Win 748 winter and summer. 748 has a reputation for being temp sensitive. I've never seen anything strange happen. Shoots just as well in winter as it does in summer.
I won't be careless and I will speak to my brother (even though he is already aware of the situation). It's nice hearing feedback from others because I don't have the first hand experience yet.

Thanks.
cracker

Post by cracker »

tell your brother to keep your whammo in a cooler and out of the sun.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker