Forster press

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Billy J
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Forster press

Post by Billy J »

I currently have a RCBS rockchucker supreme press. I was thinking about getting the Forster press. I use the Redding competition neck sizer and seating dies. I hear good things about the Forster press, but was wondering if you guys are able to minimize run-out with this press. Looking at the picture, looks like the lockring is what is taking the pressure when the handle is pulled down. With the quick change aspect of the dies, looks like it would be harder to maintain correct neck tension when seating a bullet, and correct neck sizing. I have also been looking at Russ Haydons arbor press, and changing to Wilson dies. I really dont want to get away from the redding dies, because I don't think you can get much better run-out using the Wilson dies.

Thanks, BJ
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: Forster press

Post by Critter »

The thing about the forester Co-Ax press is called compliance. This is the ability of the die and the shell case to line up.

X axis compliance is in the shell holder movement and y axis compliance is in the die holder.

No other press that I know of does that. Then you have to go to the best die you can find to maximize concentricity. Concentricity should be in the die, the case, and the bullet and not in the press.

http://www.larrywillis.com/Forster.html

Last edited by Critter on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

If you do not want to go to an arbor press, I would take a hard look at Sinclair Internationals' press. Machined out of billet aluminum, sealed bearings, open front and, angled back 10 degrees. Looks to me to be the "Playmate-of-the-Year" in presses. I must be getting old if a rifle press can stir my blood in such a way. After all, you can have your' way with it for hour after hour and still be asleep before 9:00 PM! Truly, worth consideration. These guys do not turn out junk.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Buy it. Best press that I own. Mine must be a late 70's model...I bought it used at a gunshow.

If you don't like it, list it on the internet and get your money back out of it. Have you ever noticed that these are rarely for sale?
Billy J

Post by Billy J »

Thanks for the advice.

BJ
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

On the Forester Coaxial press.....just be sure that your Redding Comp Seating dies will clear the wishbone on the press handle. Sinclair's catalog has a note warning that some of these dies won't clear the Co-Ax press handle design because of the tall nature of the mic assembly.

Just something to consider before jumping in...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Billy J

Post by Billy J »

Rick,

I looked at the Sinclair site. It said that it works with the Redding Competition dies. Is that not the case.

BJ
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Billy J wrote:Rick,

I looked at the Sinclair site. It said that it works with the Redding Competition dies. Is that not the case.

BJ
Forster is fully aware of the lack of arch clearance in the Model B-1 press. This meant that for certain long magnum dies, the handle would not clear the dies.

So they came out with a new extended height lever arch in the model B-3 and this problem no longer exists. They have also made available a shorter handle as an accessory so the ergonomics (man-machine interface) remain the same.

Be sure therefore to purchase the latest model if you are going to load long magnum cases.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3I6CRMYcM
Billy J

Post by Billy J »

Thanks all for great information. I was planning on buying a new one whenever I did.

Thanks again, BJ