Trimming brass in the 204???

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
POP

Trimming brass in the 204???

Post by POP »

For years I have been using the Lee length gauge and cutter to trim all my cases. Unfortunately they do not make one in 204 Ruger, not even a custom one.

Anyway what do you guys use? I am looking for the cheapest setup because I will only be using it for this caliber only. Thank you
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Re: Trimming brass in the 204???

Post by Inrut24/7 »

I 2 always used lee case trimmers, I got a redding trim die for the 204 and am very pleased with it. you can use a trim die alot quicker than you would think.
POP

Post by POP »

Excellent idea. BTW what type of file can one use for a trim die? Thank you
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Fine mill bastard file, about a 8" or 10" works well. Be sure to put on the wooden handle prior to starting.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

POP

Post by POP »

Thank you
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I only reload for two rifle calibers,,,,.204 and .223,,,, and I picked up two Lyman trimmers (used) and replaced the cutting heads with new carbide cutters, mounted them to the wall and converted them for use with a cheap cordless screw driver....One is set for each case length and I will only have to spot check about 1 out of every 100 with my dial caliper to insure the locking collar hasn't slipped ...

AR
Factory/Factory
Cephus91
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 Mark II Stainless

Post by Cephus91 »

I also have a brass trimming question. I just ordered a forster case trimmer and I am trying to figure out what length to trim my cases to. My hornady book says case trim length 1.840, and max case length 1.850. I plan to do the trick with a slit in the case neck to get a measurement as to where the lands are on my M77 Mark II and then set the bullets back .002. I have a hornady headspace gauge and will make sure all of my cases are consistent. Assuming my headspace is the same for all rounds, it does not seem to matter to me where between 1.840 and 1.850 i trim my cases, as long as I am consistent. Am I missing something?
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I think you have it right. You want all of your cases trimmed to the same length, not a variety of lengths.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Are you talking new unfired brass or maybe once fired brass. The way to find out is to check all your brass and trim to your shortest case length. If your brass is new unfired, you will probably find that most are shorter than 1.840. If thats the case, wait until they are fired and resized, then check the brass again. a lot of the brass "growth" comes from resizing, but new brass will grow to your chamber when fired. Thus a fire formed case. Once all of your cases are trimed to whatever length you desire, you may not have to trim again for a few firings, as the 204 cases don't seem to grow like most other cartridges. And if you just neck size you will get more firings before you have to trim. But keep in mind that with just neck sizing, eventually you will have to bump the shoulders back at some time, so they will chamber again. but just neck sizing will allow you to reload those cases a lot more times, as you don't work the brass near as much. Then we get into annealing, and that is whole nother story!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
DDRanch
.204 Ruger Guns: RRA AR-15

Post by DDRanch »

I've been using a Possum Hollow, works great.
Cephus91
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 Mark II Stainless

Post by Cephus91 »

The brass I am working with now is twice fired hornady. 30 percent were at 1.840, and the rest were around 1.848. I guess I will reload the ones that were at 1.840 and then trim the rest down to that level once my trimmer gets in.
thumper4fun
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12BVSS .204

Post by thumper4fun »

I've been using a Possum Hollow, works great.
Which one are you using? I looked at their site and it doesn't appear they offer a .204 trimmer.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

POP wrote:For years I have been using the Lee length gauge and cutter to trim all my cases. Unfortunately they do not make one in 204 Ruger, not even a custom one.

Anyway what do you guys use? I am looking for the cheapest setup because I will only be using it for this caliber only. Thank you
Several years before the 204 Ruger landed, I was shooting a Tac 20 and no one made made a trimmer for 20 caliber. I made my own trimmer for the Tac 20 using a 223 Rem Lee Trimmer gauge and one of their standard cutters.

If you turn a .224" Lee trimmer gauge down to 20 caliber, it will thread into the Lee cutter and just barely clear the inside diameter of the cutter blades. I turned a 223 Rem gauge down to 20 caliber and screwed it into a cutter with epoxy on the threads. When I reached Tac 20 trim length, I let the epoxy set up and I had a permanent trimmer for 20 caliber Tac 20 cases.

When the 204 Ruger came along, I did the same thing using a 22-250 Rem Lee gauge. I machined it down to .204" diameter and screwed it into a cutter to 204 Ruger case trim length depth and let the epoxy on the threads hold it in place permanently.

I still use both of them if I'm not trimming a large number of cases...

-BCB
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Post by Clover_Shooter »

If a person has both new unfired Nosler and Winchester brass... Would you trim to the Nosler lenght because they are the shortest!
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Trim length don't mean squat. Just trim everything close to the same length. Main thing is to square up new case mouths. As long as everything is somewhere under the maximum case length, how far isn't all that important, within reason of course. I go about .010" as maximum. If you find a new case that is way under what you've been trimming to, just use it, it'll soon elongate and need trimming, rather than adjust everything else to it. Accuracy won't suffer all that much, if at all. Pressure inside the case will expand the neck away from the bullet and act as a gas bearing before the bullet moves more than a fraction of a thousandth of an inch, minimizing the effect of length variation. Wacky bench rest shooters are the exception, there isn't enough Valium to calm their nerves if they detect a neck .0001" short or long.

Cases that reach or exceed maximum length can cause chambering problems and when forced into battery can effectively crimp the bullet against the barrel lead raising pressures. That's the only reason we trim.

Mainly don't agonize over trim length, only folks that crimp into a canelure will have to be more finicky, as case length determines crimp strength. This is especially true with handgun ammo, even more important with rimless handgun ammo and taper crimps (length and crimp sets the headspace). Many magnum handgun cartridges depend on consistent (and heavy) roll crimps for ignition consistency with slow heavily deterrent coated ball powders.

Remember that trim dies are also full length sizing dies, some wildcat forming dies use a trim die as a full length sizing die, before being processed in the final sizing die that includes the neck expander ball used for loading. If you want to neck size only, then use a lathe type trimmer.