New to the forum- new to the 204

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
belfire27
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV

New to the forum- new to the 204

Post by belfire27 »

Hey folks- I bought a Savage LRPV for my son (at least that's my story) and I ordered up some Nosler brass and Hornady 32gr V-Max bullets. I'm looking for some load info for a starting point. I've been reloading for 20 years so the process isn't new to me and I shoot .222 and 25-06 varmint rigs and have tailored loads for each. Are there any issues that are unique to the 204? I've found that both of my other guns like bullets touching the rifling. My BVSS in 25-06 isn't a problem with getting them to touch but the 204 32 grain pill might not have the bearing surface to hang out that far in a Savage chamber. I guess I'll find out. I still have to mount the scope so I'm not loading yet. Just looking for any advice that might be unique to this caliber.
Thanks in advance, TC.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: New to the forum- new to the 204

Post by RAMOS »

TC,
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will get more detailed responses from other members but, I will give you a short one to get things started. I have used Varget and liked it. Decent velocity and good accuracy. Decided to try RL10X and like it even better on all counts. My current load that I have used all summer: fully prepped and annealed Win. brass, Fed 205M primer, 24.7gr RL10X w/ 32gr V-Max. Shoots 1/2" groups at 200yds. consistantly. The .204 seems to benefit (in most rifles) from a bit of a jump to the rifling so don't be too concerned about the short 32gr pills. Enjoy your' son's new rifle!
Jon
On Edit: Above info. using a Savage Model 12FLV
belfire27

Post by belfire27 »

Couple followup questions- Do you have better luck with the mag primer? I couldn't get my 25-06 to perform well enough until I tried WW mag primers- what a difference! Second- what is your OAL on the cartridge?
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

The magnum primer seems to hold up to the pressure better with the thicker cup material. Length over-all is about 2.30" but, the plastic part of the ballistic tip varies so a consistant measurement is not possible. I need to get a comparator so I can measure from the ogive, it's on that long list of "sure would like to have"!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

belfire: Welcome to the forum....you're now surrounded by fellow 204 .20 caliber nuts. :D

For starters, RL-10X and Benchmark have proven to be the overall winners in my four 204's as well as many others here. Also, I've used both Fed Match 205's and Rem BR 7-1/2's, and feel the Remington offering yields the best uniform results, at least in my guns. Good luck, let us know how it shakes out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

belfire27

Post by belfire27 »

So the "M" is match, not magnum? I guess I'm a Winchester primer guy! Thanks for your help guys- I'll keep you updated.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

If I read the post correctly, the "M" in Winchester (i.e. WLRM) is a magnum primer. Federal has a confusing numbering system for their primers. To make sure you have the right one the number is the most important indicator. For example;

Federal Large Rifle Standard 210.
Federal Large Rifle Match 210M (aka 210GM).

Federal Large Rifle Magnum Standard 215.
Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match 215M (aka 215GM).

HTH,
belfire27

Post by belfire27 »

took the day off today to admire the new rifle. I set the "target" trigger down to just under a pound.. any less and it will drop to the accutrigger bar when closing it too hard. 6 ounces?? that is wishful thinking on Savage's part. i ditched the standard accutrigger on my long range gun in favor of a custom job for this reason. they have a nice setup with the aluminum bedding block though- it looks like it mates precisely to the action. We shall see.
oh, yeah, the wholesaler was quick getting my Nosler brass and bullets to me- so I've got 50 cases primed but don't have any RL-10X in the house, but I have IMR 4198, so I'm thinking for fireforming purposes I might put some loads together. I am wicked anxious to get this thing to the range but I'm sure it doesn't show.
I bought 100 Nosler cases- I figured I wanted to start out with decent brass. It's almost double the Winchester price but I weighed a dozen or so cases and they're within tenths of each other, and they're all right on 1.834" so I like the consistency. so what is the consensus on I4198? does anyone have good luck with it? Should I wait for the 10X? it is fireforming and bore conditioning more than anything at this point but it's like Christmas morning and there's a new rifle under the tree.
RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

Post by RUD »

Hi, I have tried the IMR4198 and it is capable of 5/8 " groups with the 35 gr. Berger in my COOPER 204, so far! I am loading up some more with different powder weights, to try next time at the range. I just finished testing some new loads with H335 and the 32 gr. Hornady grouped 3/8 ", better than the Bergers with H335. I am going to have to pick up some R10x and try it next. I would load what you have to fireform your cases, IMR4198 will work but don't expect super small group sizes. Good shooting! Rudy
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I like imr 4895, and also am leaning more toward 10x. I just wish alliant would get on the band wagon and post some 204 load data! So far the 10x seems to be shooting a touch tighter than the 4895. 4895 is a old powder and a reliable one I shoot it in my 308 and 22-250 as well. I have been warned to be very carefull with 10x with the heavyer 204 bullets as pressure increses fast? Wish alliant would verify, Good luck. I too am neww to 204 as of a few weeks ago. I hope you are is happy with yours as I am, Awsome!
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

All load advice is good.On the LRPV,and many other production 20 rugers,you can forget reaching the lands,as they all have excessively long throats.If you measure a Hornady factory round, 40 or 32 grain,you will find the OAL about 2.250 +/- .002.There is allot of jump,but it seems to work,as most will shoot sub 1/2" groups,right out of the box.Also the crimp on a factory round it very tight.My loads hit the sweet spot around 2.350 OAL WW brass,Rem 71/2,.002-.003 neck tension,and IMR 8208 XBR or Varget,plus most of the other powders mentioned.
Valar

Post by Valar »

You are correct I think about touching the lands especially in my shilen barreled ar. I have been loading to 2.260 oal and a couple thou under. they are shooting well. The ar mag works fine at max oal. You may touch the lands with the longer bullets in a bolt action204? IE 50 grain Bergers and perhaps 40s. I know my rem 700 22-250 shoots great with bullets seated .002 out the lands. However again being a stock gun it becomes a single shot as ther are two long for the magazine. :eek:
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Welcome to the forum,,,I load for an AR in .204 as well as a CZ and have made a practice of trying to find a load that works well in both for the sake of simplicity..

My AR has a custom cut chamber in a Douglas XX Match barrel and has worked extremely well using Winchester 748 powder with CCI magnum primers, seated just under 2.25", giving me about .035" of jump with 39gr Sierra BKs..

While the powder charge changes just a little for the CZ, I'm getting pretty good accuracy out of the same combination, as well as the 35gr Bergers...

Lately, I've started switching over to the Ramshot line of powders as they are a little less expensive, burn a little cleaner and meter much better for volume loading....The X-Terminator is a little faster than the W-748 and the TAC is a little slower. so adjustments have to be made, but the future is bright with them..
AR
Factory/Factory
Valar

Post by Valar »

Turrtle, I have some w 748 from some 308 rounds that I used to load. I have seen some recomendations for load data etc. I am rather amazed that this powder provides good results as well. XBR is very close to 10 x burn rate and IMR 4895 a mid consistent powder. 748 is a rather slow burn rate powder. So far my findings have been with the right charge of whatever powder the 204 seems to be very temperate with results. I may try a few loads with 748 just for grins when the weather warms?