32 vs 39 Grain SBK's

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: 32 vs 39 Grain SBK's

Post by Jim White »

Never tried any 32 grain pills. Tried 26 gr's didn't like them. 40 gr VMAX will only shoot in my CZ, so they're a wash. The 35 Berger and 39 SBK are superb. I shoot the 39 because ballistically, they'll do everything the 35 Berger will.
M_D
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by M_D »

So far, I have never seen any indication of tumbling bullets from my Savage model 12, the photo is of a target shot with it and 32 SBK's. Out of all the powders and bullets tried, all of them shoot under 1", most under 1/2". The barrel on it is nice, I clean it just because, but there is never much to clean. Maybe it's the exception rather than the rule with Savage, I don't know, have only owned 2 Savages. On the other hand, I have a .17 HMR Savage that doesn't shoot so well......................Probably if factories could build them all perfectly the same, there wouldn't be so much "load development" going on. I might be tempted to try another one some day, but all of these tumbling bullet stories make me wonder what the ratio of "good" ones versus "bad" ones is.

204 AR
.204 Ruger Guns: custom 204 AR15, DPMS

Post by 204 AR »

Hi guys, new guy to the forum.

I thought I was the only one with probs with the 32 SBKs. I thought they grouped ok, but not great at the range. When I took a few pdog shooting, I didn't hit anything and couldn't even see a dust poof of where they hit! I don't think they were making it, or were just flying wild. Never had this problem with any other bullet, the 39's and 40gr and 32gr vmax shoot great as well as 34 gr Midsouth bullets and 32 NBT's. I also had one SBK with a messed up jacket.

This is with a 1-12 shilen barrel on my AR.

I also agree with the use of a little JB once in a while. When my groups seem to open up a little, a scouring with JB seems to bring it right back.

Good forum, lots of good info here!
Russ
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Russ: welcome to the forum!!! You're at the right place, alright.....

I've only used the 32 SBKs with the 20 VT, but love the 39's with the .204's....esp with
RL10X.... :)

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
WnMag
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M Pro Varmint .204 Ruger- Cooper M21

Post by WnMag »

Picked up som RL10, and might have to try that out in the morning at 7Mags reloading mill. Going to give the 26 grain varmint granades a shot and see if they will fly. Have a few 45gr soft points to load for yote's. Have any suggestions for the 26's?
I think it was me....or the wind.