suppressor increase velocity ?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: suppressor increase velocity ?

Post by Trent »

Sidewinderwa wrote:There was an article in the Jan-Mar 2011 Varmint Hunter magazine and his test showed that suppressors did increase the velocity of the bullets. It was also interesting to find out that suppressors will reduce the recoil of the larger caliber rifles by up to 50%. I have a customer that ordered one for his 338 Lapua for that reason as well as reducing the blast to the ears. NESHOOTER, it is good to hear that a 223 suppressor will work on a 204. That will make it much more versatile to be able to move it between coyote rifles. They are pretty spendy!
I shot a .300 Ultramag last week with a $1700.00 titanium suppressor on it and I can unequivocally tell you that it reduced the recoil by more than 50%. It was amazing! The report coming out of that rifle was WELL below that of a .223. I would say it was equal to a .22magnum. Absolutely spectacular performance. 91 grains of powder never sounded so quiet!

.300 Ultra mag is second from the left. The far right "little" one is a .308win. I would never have believed it if I didn't get to shoot it myself.

Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

This is the suppressor that was on the .300 Ultramag. It is designed for .338 cal rifles but it was VERY effective on the .300 UM.
http://www.thunderbeastarms.com/products/338p-1

I want to get one. Just have to stop buying guns and bullets and save some money instead of spending it! This one would work great on my .22-250 and my .204R.
http://www.thunderbeastarms.com/products/223p-1

NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

Here's a YHM suppressor and the cost is 795.00 here is the link http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=prod ... cts_id=318. It is more in my price range and then the difference could be spent on optic's.
Semper Fi
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

Of course this is for a .338 but the .308 is the same price and the .223 is appx 600.00
Semper Fi
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

sweet ar! wow 50% recoil reduction ! so you guys run regular reloads and regular ammo through the suppressors ? ok. wow crap $700 to $1700 i was thinking that the suppressors only cost $200. plus the cost to thread the barrel and the atf stamp. everyone provided very good informative posts thank you all very much.

how much reduction in recoil with the 204 ? 10% to 20% ? how about the point of impact with regular ammo does that change as it does with the subsonic ammo ?

so what is the advantage of using a titanium suppressor instead of steel ? is it just strength ?
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

204cat wrote:...how much reduction in recoil with the 204 ? 10% to 20% ? how about the point of impact with regular ammo does that change as it does with the subsonic ammo ?

so what is the advantage of using a titanium suppressor instead of steel ? is it just strength ?
I wasn't aware a .204 had recoil. Then again, my rifle weighs 14 lbs. In general, recoil reduction is a function of cartridge pressure, and 60K psi is pretty high.

I don't understand the question about POI and SSS ammo. The barrel will sag slightly under the added weight of the suppressor, which will change the POI. With the better suppressors, the change in POI is repeatable, meaning it consistently will shoot to the same POI every time you mount the can. Except for the small effect of freebore boost, trajectory is unchanged. Usually, accuracy either won't be affected or will improve slightly.

My steel .30 can weighs 1.85 lbs., actual weight. The advertised weight for the same can in Ti is 15 oz. Adding even a pound to the end of a standard length hunting rifle barrel (20-24") makes a HUGE difference in handling. Doubling the weight just compounds the problem.

$200 is the amount of the federal tax. Rimfire cans start at about $250. In countries where the government isn't so anal about the devices, they're less than $100 equivalent. CF cans start at about $600.

The price was set at $200 by the NFA of 1934. It's not a license, not a permit, it's a tax. You receive a postage stamp looking thing on an 8 1/2"x11" sheet of paper. The Congress didn't have the cajones to outlaw them altogether so they just levied a tax that was so exorbitant at the time -- at the height of the Great Depression -- that they thought they were too expensive for all but the ultra-rich to afford. And they've never managed to raise the rate.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

paper or plastic or the occasional golf ball is what i shoot at the range. last time i shot a golf ball i saw the muzzle jump then set back down then the golf ball go flying. that jump is recoil .... almost. i was thinking that the poi change was from the extra length of the suppressor. i did not even consider the weight of the suppressor. i did not realize that the titanium was that much less weight. i was thinking that the titanium did not expand and contract as much as steel does. < embarrassed face >
kiwi**
.204 Ruger Guns: howa m1500 lightning

Post by kiwi** »

Hi I shoot with the same suppressor on my Howa 204 and a semi auto 223, works well on both guns These are made here in NZ out of Alluminum and cost around $385 each plus fitting about another $65. These reduce the recoil by half and makes the 204 shoot around .18 moa, makes a fantastic gun to shoot with, just can't stop shooting with it.
Hope this helps you.
Regards Kiwi
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Kiwi, tell us more about your suppressor. That is a pretty good price if it is of good quality and not too heavy.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
kiwi**

Post by kiwi** »

Sidewinder, these kiwi made suppressors are top quality, they are over barrel (5inches forward of the muzzel 7inches back on the barrel units)
Our gunsmith has been making them for at lease 10 years. They make them out of ali (4-6000 rnds) and stainless up to 20,000 rnds) These work very well on high powered ammo, reduces noise down by 2/3 when you shoot game with them the animals don't know where the shots are comming from and quite often run straight to you they crack over their heads and get very confused.
To make these changable for different guns they will supply a larger or smaller screw on back bush for the different barrel diameter which is easy to change.
If you want any more details , please send me your email.
kiwi**
204cat

Post by 204cat »

thank you kiwi what sidewinder said good price. are those over barrel attachment ? or regular screw on to the threads at the end of the barrel ?
kiwi**

Post by kiwi** »

Yes these are overbarrel suppressors 5'' forward of muzzel and 7'' back on barrel, these costs are in kiwi dollars.