case necks

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
spongejo
.204 Ruger Guns: howa1500

case necks

Post by spongejo »

just been reading on reddings web page on sizing the case neck.
how much are you sizing 3/4 1/2? ive been sizing all of it and getting great groups.
ollie :doh:
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: case necks

Post by Hedge »

If you're satisfied with your groups, stick with what you're currently doing. The only drawback is reduced case life.

I'm neck sizing with a Lee collet die and an occasional shoulder bump if it's not in spec. with my case gauge. When the neck isn't holding the bullet any more, I anneal the case.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
spongejo

Post by spongejo »

cheer's mate, ive been after a sinclair reloaders manual, but cant find one in the uk anywhere.
more reading i think.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Cheers!

Don't know which manual you're looking for, but there's one on Amazon.com
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

The big consideration is how well are the bullets uniformly and securely held in the case like round to round.

Another consideration is bullet run out or missaligned bullets.

In a .300 Win mag sizing the entire neck would be done. In a .30-06 using 110 grain bullets maybe 1/2? Sizing the entire neck would not cause problems.

Depends, if it works now chances it will continue to work. Eventually when neck sizing only, it will be needed to full length size when less than no head space occurs. This can be done with a body die. If a standard full length die is used to size the entire case the neck will be also sized then expanded.

I like Lee collet dies that size the entire neck only and also use a body die when needed. My neck sized rounds shoot well and bullets are securely held. My brass lasts a long time and I only lube cases when using the body die.
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

I also necksize to the shoulder, my groups please me...
Semper Fi
spongejo

Post by spongejo »

thanks for that :D
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Same here. I bought a Lee collet neck die for a .243 WSSM, a cartridge that needs help with case life if there ever was one. As well as a Redding body die for the shoulder bumping. But my groups shrank a bit, got a bit more regular in size and fliers became less frequent. So I bought more for my other calibers. Good stuff, that.