New rifle

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: New rifle

Post by Jim White »

On the subject of fliers, I have found with certain scopes that if the eye relief and alignment are not consistent, especially on max power, it may could play a role with fliers.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Jim,

Yup, cleared it up.

Good point on max power, too. Especially around 20x and above for me. Gets pretty touchy.
I've found that I don't have much use for anything above 16x.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
kirk
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT, Les Baer Super Varmint, Cooper Model 21

Post by kirk »

Got 200 rounds of Norma brass. This is addictive.

Kirk
kirk

Post by kirk »

Have loaded and fired some of the Norma brass. Results were about the same as what I have been seeing previously but this is new brass. Unfortunately I have not been smart and have been full length sizing all of my brass every time. Will neck size this new brass and load up some more for testing for next weekend. Still have the goal of a half inch group at 200. May not make it but it is certainly a goal.

Kirk
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Live long and shoot many bug holes my friend.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
boomer68
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Post by boomer68 »

Try the Lee collet dies with the fire formed brass.
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Yup, like Boomer says, try the Lee collet die. Not expensive and works better than you would think. Will keep your bullet runout below .002". Even the little bullet seater that comes with it is better than my micrometer seater.

One caution with the Lee die. The pin is soft and will bend as it slides down the outside of the case if you don't line it up with the case neck. Not a biggie. Just requires a little attention to your process.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Use one powder per outing or at least clean when changing powders. Easiest way to create fliers.
Its also a good way to create tight groups that cannot be repeated.
Its not just a tube with squiggly lines in it. Its a precision projectile delivery device.
Treat is as such and it will teach you new tricks.

On the other hand,,, Once a barrel has told me which powder it TRULY prefers theres very little use for a cleaning rod.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Another way to create groups that can't be repeated (at least without starting over) is to do what I just did.

I measure all my bullets from base to ogive and sort them in trays. When I start playing with seating depth, I pick a given length of bullet and do my seating tests. Once I find my tightest group, I have a BTO (base to ogive) length for reference. When I run out of bullets of the reference length, I just pick another and add or subtract that length from my reference for a delta to adjust my seater.

Well, I found a nice group and loaded up a few more verification rounds with a bullet having a different BTO. Blew the group to heck. I'd forgotten to readjust my seater. To top it off, I didn't note which BTO I'd used for reference. ARRRRRRGGG!!! :wall:
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Nothing is more frustrating than fliers. I have 6 varmint guns and two with PacNor barrels. I find the biggest enemy I have is ME. I just need trigger time to set my consistency of doing the same thing each time. Then I need patience, and cannot shoot well on targets If I feel hurried.

I usually find that if I am getting fliers, it is self imposed. Watched my shooting partner go thru the same thing and he has now developed his technique to where he shoots small groups. Again, it takes patience and trigger time. If you are an accomplished shooter, you probably know this already
kirk

Post by kirk »

Planning on getting back to the rifle range this weekend. Spent time with pistols last weekend, maybe a week off will make my eye better. :)

I suspect that I am not getting consistent alignment between my eye and the scope. Shouldn't be much of an effect but when you are trying to achieve .5" groups at 200 it may be my problem. Will try to concentrate on consistent holds this time.

Kirk
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

kirk --You mentioned you were going to go from full length resizing to neck sizing and that is a good step for saving wear and tear on your brass. The suggestion to use a Lee collet neck sizing die is one way to do the neck sizing. Using a Redding Type S neck die is a great way to go as well. Another route to go with resizing casings is to use a Redding Type S full length sizing die. If you aren't familiar with them, they size the body and set the shoulder back to whatever setting you use, but have the bushing for sizing the necks.

I use the Redding Type S full length sizing dies for my Nosler brass and for the brass I formed from WW .204 Ruger brass down to .17 Remington. If I had the money, I'd use the same type of dies for my other varmint rifles. However, using the Redding Type S neck sizing dies and then using a FL die to set the shoulder back when necessary works well too.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
kirk

Post by kirk »

Fox, I ordered the Lee collet die from Midway. Looked at the reviews for the Redding and decided on the Lee before reading your post.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Loaded up some of the new Norma brass to fire form the cases. Used 25.5 grains of Benchmark, Rem 7 1/2 primers and the Midway Dogtown 34 grain bullets.

Was certainly surprised, didn't expect much for accuracy since I didn't work up a load. Figured I would use a light load and cheap bullets since the goal was to form the cases. Posted the best 5 shot group below. I think that it is time to try some more of these Midway bullets. This is the first time I have loaded them.

Kirk