fellow 204 ar reloaders?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
cherokee305
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 AR

fellow 204 ar reloaders?

Post by cherokee305 »

I'm just wondering what resizing die everyone else is using for their 204 brass for their AR. I tried a lee resizing die, and the results were terrible. Now I'm working with a standard RCBS die and the results seem better.

I'm having feeding issues with any brass that has been fired and then being reloaded for the first time, its almost as if the die isn't pushing the shoulder back far enough?

anyone else had problems with this? also, anyone tried the 204 ar dies from rcbs?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: fellow 204 ar reloaders?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Try a RCBS or Redding Small Base Die. This die further resizes the case head area, making both chambering and extraction better in the AR platform, and is quite common in many cases with other autoloaders as well.

If all else is good with the rifle; good ammo, clean, properly lubricated, chances are this well may be the problem.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

204 AR
.204 Ruger Guns: custom 204 AR15, DPMS

Post by 204 AR »

I use regular fl dies from Redding for both of my 204 ARs, without any problem. If you have a tight chamber you may need to set the die far enough down that the press cams over at the top of the stroke.

I started out with RCBS fl dies, and they worked ok too, but the runout they created was crazy bad. Switched to Redding with much better results.
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

I use the Competition set by RCBS and have never had a missfeed or problem with chambering. I would recommend that you modify the deflector to keep your brass from getting dinged up and help your sizing. I use a small piece of the fuzzy side of velcro on the deflector to soften the blow when ejected. I have never had a dented piece of brass after I installed it.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I would say that if you obtain a set of the small base dies, your problem will be solved. I would adjust the dies, after the first resize to just touch the neck/shoulder. Bill K
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

+1 Redding standard FL dies.

You do realize that neck sizing for an AR-15 is a no-no?

I have seen neck sized brass work fine one day and fail the next, in the AR platform.

I shot over 3,000 + in my 204 AR last year without any fail to fires.

Retired Timber faller
cherokee305

Post by cherokee305 »

yes, I do realize neck sizing is a no no.
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

cherokee305 wrote:
I'm having feeding issues with any brass that has been fired and then being reloaded for the first time, its almost as if the die isn't pushing the shoulder back far enough?

?

Can you see air between the die and shell holder with the ram at TDC and a case in the shellholderholder? You shouldn`t.
If so you might try turning the die down a extra 1/8 turn or so and see if the case fits your chamber better. Use a unsized case each time you adjust the die. The resized case will not show the same results as a fresh one will.
You also might need to lube the inside of the case mouth. If you have much drag or hear the expander ball squeek on the inside of the case mouth you could be pulling the shoulder back out with the ball. This will cause the shoulder to be too far foreward to chamber easily too. I lube all my case mouths just as a preventionary step in my reloading.

A bit of magic marker on the case body and shoulder will show where the case is dragging. If it is around the base of the case just above the extractor groove you likely need a small base die as suggested. If it is around the shoulder-between the neck and body- you are not setting the shoulder back enough or pulling it foreward.
cherokee305

Post by cherokee305 »

between full length sizing and changing to c-product magazines I think I've solved all my feeding problems.
stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

Ok. What are c-product mags? I haven't heard of those. Are they good?
cherokee305

Post by cherokee305 »

they are the mags that everyone I talked too recommended to try with my 204 ar. I ordered up two 20 rders. I also got a 10 rd AR-stoner mag that seems to work very well.