The perfect loading setup

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

The perfect loading setup

Post by Mike »

I want to start handloading, so I'm working on assembling a gear list. I have always subscribed to the theory that it's best to buy right the first time around, so I'd like to know what works well for my fellow forum members. At this stage, I'm only loading for two or three rifle calibers, with the .204 making up the bulk of my ammo needs for annual prairie dog trips. Precision and convenience are two of my biggest priorities with loading, if that helps with suggestions. As always, I appreciate the insights that anyone offers up.

Thanks,
Mike
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Re: The perfect loading setup

Post by Tokimini »

I've had good luck with the Hornady Lock N Load kit. About the only thing it's missing is a case trimmer. Other than that, all you need are dies, bullets, brass, primers and powder and you're good to go. Almost forgot, get a good dial caliper too.
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

redding comp dies, decent brass,l e wilson trimmer,rcbs scales,k@M neck turner,decent bench and press,good bank manager,understanding wife.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

zx10mike wrote:redding comp dies, decent brass,l e wilson trimmer,rcbs scales,k@M neck turner,decent bench and press,good bank manager,understanding wife.
I laughed out loud when I read the part about a good bank manager and an understanding wife.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

zx10mike wrote:understanding wife.
Understanding is one way of putting it. Mine says it's more of "tolerance", and she works in the gun industry! Around here she's known as "The Minister of Finance".

(Good thing, as if I was in charge of the $, I'd have lots of cool new guns, but I'd be living down by the river in the back of my truck! :lol: )

Sorry for the OT Mike, here's what I'll offer:
Redding comp seater, neck and body dies. F/L if needed, but with these you'll never need or want one.
Good sturdy single stage press like a Redding Mag or RCBS Rockchucker (I actually wore out a Rockchucker after 32 years...true.)
Good (all this stuff should be of good quality) beam scale with dust cover. I gave up on digitals
Sinclair priming tool (the best on the planet)
I use a Forester trimmer, also for neck turning
Redding BR-30 powder meas w/baffle
Redding trickler
CRT powder funnel w/caliber specific inserts
CRT or Holland VLD tool for case necks, regular Wilson/RCBS/Redding 45* tool for chamfering
CRT loading trays (if you like the best)
CRT/K&M or Sinclair primer pocket uniformer, same for flash holes (CRT tools are VERY nice) Make sure it registers on the case web
Imperial Sizing Wax for F/L or body die use, Imperial Dry Neck lube for all neck sizing
Mitutoyo 4" digital caliper (I also use the same but dial)
If you neck turn, you'll want a high quality inside tubing mic, but the above caliper can also be used
Hornady comparator tool (formerly Stoney Point) w/inserts for each caliber you load.
Hornady modified case for bullet seating w/above tool (or make your own if you have a lathe and the obscure tap)

I'm sure I've left something out I'll remember later, but that's my preference FWIW. If my wife saw this, she'd ask "if that's all you need, then why is your room so full?" Girls......what do they know? :wink:

That was taken some time back.....there's even less room and more stuff in there now. In the closet are all my shotgun presses, PW handgun progressive press, bullet casting stuff, powder stash.......you get the idea. It always starts "small" and morphs from there.....you'll see, Mike....plan ahead. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

K22

Post by K22 »

Mike wrote:I want to start handloading, so I'm working on assembling a gear list. I have always subscribed to the theory that it's best to buy right the first time around, so I'd like to know what works well for my fellow forum members. At this stage, I'm only loading for two or three rifle calibers, with the .204 making up the bulk of my ammo needs for annual prairie dog trips. Precision and convenience are two of my biggest priorities with loading, if that helps with suggestions. As always, I appreciate the insights that anyone offers up.

Thanks,
Mike
Oh boy, you are going to get a long list. :wink:
The press I use is a Bonanza Co-ax and now currently made by Forster. Forster Benchrest dies, a Redding brass trimmer, RCBS 10-10 scale, and a Redding powder measure are the main components I use.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Mike,

We recently became a Redding Dealer. Between Redding dies, a Redding press, and our Custom Reloading Tools products I believe we can get you the best quality products in the business for the best prices. We just recently became a Redding dealer so I am offering all the Redding products at 10% over dealer cost for a very limited time. If you are interested in these products you can email us for a price quote. Email is: sales@customreloadingtools.com

Thanks,
Brad
Mike wrote:I want to start handloading, so I'm working on assembling a gear list. I have always subscribed to the theory that it's best to buy right the first time around, so I'd like to know what works well for my fellow forum members. At this stage, I'm only loading for two or three rifle calibers, with the .204 making up the bulk of my ammo needs for annual prairie dog trips. Precision and convenience are two of my biggest priorities with loading, if that helps with suggestions. As always, I appreciate the insights that anyone offers up.

Thanks,
Mike
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Go with Redding!!!!!!!!!! and I echo what Rick had to say.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the information thus far, guys. I really appreciate the help as I work out my gear needs.

Brad, I sent you an email.

What's the consensus on the Forster press? The features look good, but I have zero practical experience to draw from.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.as ... atid=19938
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Check out electronic powder dispensors,especially if you will be loading hundreds of rounds for the prarie dog fields.RCBS,Lyman,Hornady and Pact all make them.Also check out this bullet seater.The original ,window,bullet seater.One body with cal inserts and shoulder angle.

http://www.gmwvickerman.com/
l
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Mike there is alot of good info here from these guys.
CRT tools make reloading so much easier. Just a warning once you use CRT tool you are spoiled and wont want to reload with out them.
K22

Post by K22 »

What's the consensus on the Forster press? The features look good, but I have zero practical experience to draw from.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.as ... atid=19938
It is generally talked about in the same arena as the Wilson and other high end presses. I have a Lee, a RCBS, a Redding Boss, a Lyman, a Dillion, and of course the Bonanza/Forster. My favorite is the Bonanza/Forster. Nothing wrong with the other presses, they are good presses also, but I feel the Co-ax press is a bit better and much easier to change caliber and size brass. Oh, and CRT reloading accessories are worth every penny.

All of this is just my opinion and worth about as much as you paid for it. :wink:
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Agree that the Bonanza co-ax press is a high quality unit, but just be aware that most of the competition seating dies will not clear the overhead wishbone arrangement of this press, so they cannot be used. The micrometer adjustment makes these dies too high to clear the press handle.

Just one more thing to consider when setting up your loading operation. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

K22

Post by K22 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Agree that the Bonanza co-ax press is a high quality unit, but just be aware that most of the competition seating dies will not clear the overhead wishbone arrangement of this press, so they cannot be used. The micrometer adjustment makes these dies too high to clear the press handle.

Just one more thing to consider when setting up your loading operation. :chin:
Really? My Forster micrometer seating die clears ok.
Here is one in a Bonanza Press. The die is set at its highest postion in the press.

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The Redding Comp Seating Die was the specific one I was referring to. Good that your Forester comp die clears; it should, they're made by the same company, but friends tell me the RCBS comp seater won't clear either. It's just one more thing to consider when starting out fresh; not all of this equipment is compatable.
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA