CFE223 anyone?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: CFE223 anyone?

Post by Wrangler John »

Load data for CFE 223 is available on Hodgdon's web site. It's free! Of course it is, they want us to use the stuff! http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp I have an order wending it's way from Powder Valley, good way to start a new year is with new powder and stuff to experiment with. :D
oldguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Icon

Post by oldguy »

I've used it in both the 223 and 204, excellent groups from both,I don't own a chronograph so don't have any numbers other then to say accuracy is good which is my concern. I was using a 52 gr sierra 223 and 40gr Berger in 204, my thompson center hunter has a 1/10 twist appears to like the heavier bullets. I plan on my testing with CFE223 in the 204 only loaded a few during last range session:
cubdad67
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 110

Post by cubdad67 »

I too have bought 1 lb of CFE 223. But I have not used it. I was thinking of waiting for the z-max rounds to come in, if they do. But I too would like to see loads that you all have come up with.

Darius
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Darius, I was interested in the Zmax rounds so I asked my local gunshop if they were going to carry them and he said no. He thought they were only offering them as factory loaded rounds, and he said they were V Maxs with a different colored tip. Not a new bullet, just marketing BS.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

They are just the V-Max but with the zombie/yellow tip. I just want some, as they will be different, may never have them out again, and they will shoot just like the normal tipped v-max... Just eye candy, but what the heck. Bill K
cubdad67
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 110

Post by cubdad67 »

Tokimini you are right they are the v-max with a different tip. But a box of 500 for like $54, got to have it. It is just about the same price as the Midway Dogtown's. Midsouthshooters.com is going to sell them when they are released. They are taking orders now thou.
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

cubdad67 wrote:Tokimini you are right they are the v-max with a different tip. But a box of 500 for like $54, got to have it. It is just about the same price as the Midway Dogtown's. Midsouthshooters.com is going to sell them when they are released. They are taking orders now thou.
Wow $54 for 500! You're right, I gotta get some of those.
mec1
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15

Post by mec1 »

Hey guys,

I'm interested in any results with CFE223 also. I've been using Ramshot TAC, and I've read that it's similar to CFE in that it has some bismuth mixed in to remove copper fouling. TAC is hard to find locally though, so I'm interested in seeing how the Hodgdon powder works. If it lives up the marketing, it'll be great for p-dogs!
Tokimini wrote:I'm picking up a pound today. I'm interested to see how it will compare to my two "go to" powders Reloder 10X and 8208XBR. Does anyone know if it's a temp sensitive powder?
According to Hodgdon's website, CFE is a ball powder and would be more temp sensitive than their extruded powders like H322 or Benchmark. It should meter well though!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

It is interesting, just the other day I read on a jug of Alliant 1000, and it shows it has some sort of copper fouling reducer in it also. I guess they are all getting onto the band wagon.. BIll K
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

Bill K wrote:It is interesting, just the other day I read on a jug of Alliant 1000, and it shows it has some sort of copper fouling reducer in it also. I guess they are all getting onto the band wagon.. BIll K
Interesting,
I was reading a thread on another forum on this subject a week ago. The guys talking (3-4 are gun writers) seem to believe they have been in powders for some time and are just now being reported as a plus for their product by the manufactures.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost5925481
Tokimini

Post by Tokimini »

mec1 wrote:According to Hodgdon's website, CFE is a ball powder and would be more temp sensitive than their extruded powders like H322 or Benchmark. It should meter well though!
It's the smoothest metering powder I've used so far, a real pleasure to work with. This Sunday I'll see how it shoots.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

Tokimini, I'll be looking forward to your range report. I hope you can give us some chrono data as well as how it groups. I believe CFE 223 is using tin dioxide instead of bismuth to prevent the copper fouling. It is also used in Winchester 748 which they also own now. You can easily check the MSDS sheet on Hodgdon's website for all their powders.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Toki', I just PM'd ya...
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I'd bought 8lbs from Powder Valley a few months ago, and have used it for some loads, with overall good results in terms of accuracy. I'm getting ready to leave for NM this week for a three day coyote hunt and needed to decide on my .17Rem load for my AR.

It came down to W760, Benchmark, IMR8208 and CFE223. It was extremely close, but I'm going with 22.6gr of the 8208. It was a very windy day, with a 16 power scope on sand bag rests. Here are two photos....not the best, and granted the differences aren't great....but here they are:

CFE223

IMR8208

PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Doubleup is correct,
The Tin Dioxide that is the "copper fouling reducer" has been in BOTH Win 748 & Win 760, for over 20 years according to the MSDS. CFE223 is one step slower than BL-C(2), due to some lot variations with that, I'm hoping that this is Hodgy's attempt at a replacement.

As to the "not extreme... temp sensitivity" comment, it isn't the case.
If you go to Hodgy's site and search for the "data" that shows the results of the testing, the testing was poor at best. The long and short of it, is that due to a coating, it CAN(not is) be more consistent in REALLY cold weather. This is unfortunatly, only in a specific case, Varget works well as advertised in the 308, but has some real problems in the 223.
As has very recently been discussed on shootersforum, Dr(?) Denton Bramwell did a series of experiments on temp sensitivity. In cases smaller than the 30-06, primer type & brand had ZERO effect on velocity and pressure. Also the "temp sensitivity" issue is about temp differentials between the barrel steel and case. He tested some "extreme" powders and some ball powders, with no statistical difference between any of them.

I believe that Hodgdon has taken their marketing of "extreme" as far as they can before too many questions get asked. If you look at their last 3 "miracles" they have released: Leverevolution, Superformance, and CFE223; they are ALL ball powders...
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.