"New" powder avaiable

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

"New" powder avaiable

Post by Pmoper »

Hey guys first post here....so be kind...LOL...been shooting my new toy a model 700 Remington 204 heavy barrel...love it..started to roll my own..Just managed to get some of the new powder...the Hogedon CFE 223...it is the same powder that Hornady is using in their factory loads...Powder has a treating to reduce the copper fouling of the barrels...for 40 gr Hdy V-max..list 29.0 gr for a MV of 3769fps and a pressure of 56,700 PSI(MAX. LOADS) for the 32 gr pill (Hdy V-Max) 30.9 gr of the CFE 223 for a MV of 4091 at 55,000 fps....NOTE both have a COL of 2.250"....This powder is being referred to as the "eraser"......Just something a little different to throw out there.....
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: "New" powder avaiable

Post by Bill K »

I have been trying to purchase some in my area, for over a month now, they just do not have it in stock, yet. mid Jan to early Feb is what they tell me. I could order some, on line, but do not want to pay the extra hazmat fee. will just have to wait to give it a shot. Bill K
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I bought an 8lb jug from Powder Valley a few weeks ago....and so far have only loaded it for my .223 AR....and looking forward to using it for my 204's and 17 Rem's.....
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

I`ve had my eye on this powder too. More due to the claims of temperature tolerance and decent (not necessarily greater then other powders) velocity then any "copper cleaning" quality in the cartridges I shoot. I`ve had good results with Benchmark in my two 223`s but just added a 204 to my toy chest and am open to new ideas on powders since I`m just starting out loading for it.

There is a thread on another forum that discusses the cleaning abilities of this and a few other powders. It seems it may not be such a new development as claimed. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost5925481
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I may be wrong, but I do not believe this powder is new, has been used for government/military ammo for a few years. But is now being put out, so we in the civilian market can have and use it, if we want.. It was for reducing copper fouling and residue in the militarys firearms, to cut down on the cleaning process, supposedly. Bill K
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Bill K wrote:I may be wrong, but I do not believe this powder is new, has been used for government/military ammo for a few years. But is now being put out, so we in the civilian market can have and use it, if we want.. It was for reducing copper fouling and residue in the militarys firearms, to cut down on the cleaning process, supposedly. Bill K
Agree Bill...."New" is a bad term to be used...New to our market would be better...you are correct...after doing more research I found that it indeed has been utilized in military cartridges for a while.....
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

If you want a real cold shower with this powder(or properly said, Hodgdon)....
This "copper cleaning technology" is a tin compound...SAME stuff(same quantity to) that has been in Win 748 & Win 760 for(according to the MSDS) at least the past 20 years.
For all their marketing of "extreme" extruded powders, their latest miracles (Superformance, LeverEvolution, now CFE223) have all been ball powders from General Dynamics. The plus side to this is that even though they have been killing off useful information for Win ball powders, at least they are providing some stuff that is being made in the US.
Nothing against the Aussie's, but I like stuff made here.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.