Anyone shot the New Varmageddons yet???

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Anyone shot the New Varmageddons yet???

Post by Predator1 »

My rifle really likes the sierra 39gr but these are really tempting for the price. Looks like a nice bullet. Just worried that if nosler is selling them cheaper than BT there must be a reason. Is the tolerances not as good?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Anyone shot the New Varmageddons yet???

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

The varmageddon's are a great quality bullet and should actually be a little more explosive than the standard Nosler BT bullets. According to Nosler the Varmageddon jacket is a littler thinner at the front of the bullet. The 17 & 20 caliber ballistic tipped varmageddon bullets haven't been released yet, we will have them in stock as soon as they are available. We do currently stock the 40 & 55 Grain .224 Varmageddon bullets and they are an excellent bullet for the money. The quality control on Nosler bullet is much better than the Hornady vmax. Check them out on our website. http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_036.htm
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

I tried a few of the 32gr I picked up from Grat a few weeks back, but my rifle doesn`t seem to think much of them. That isn`t saying a lot though, this rifle is the most finicky thing I own when it comes to bullets. If it isn`t a 39gr Sierra or 35gr Berger it shotguns instead of groups them.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

For my 20's I have only been able to obtain some of the HP's and they shoot right along with my HP's in the 34 grain Dog town bullets. I will try the tipped when they ever arrive. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote:I will try the tipped when they ever arrive.
Me too Bill, but it still may be a little while, as the plant has not even started to run the .20 cal tipped version yet, trying to keep up with demand for the .224" bullets. I was up there looking for seconds, and found there's not even any 'firsts' available yet. :?

Pred: As for their quality compared to the 'regular' BT's.........are you kidding?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Predator1

Post by Predator1 »

Pred: As for their quality compared to the 'regular' BT's.........are you kidding?

Rick, I wasn't meaning that the Ballistic Tips were not a quality bullet. Maybe I didn't explain it well in my post as I'm not great at explaining what I mean. I was just curious if they(the varmageddons) were held to the exact stds and made with the same quality of components as the Nosler Ballistic Tips. I just figured if they were going to sell them so much cheaper than the BT's that they might not be the same quality. If they are of the same quality and components than I guess I don't understand how they can sell them cheaper. Or, have I been overpaying for my BT's? LOL
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Predator 1. I think you will find it is a marketing thing.. New product, image and as Hornady is doing with the Zombie z-max, a turn on right now.. We all go for something new and different. So probably the price is a inducement, could go up later, maybe not. My take anyway. BIll K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

BULLET FLASH: :eek:

I was at Nosler yesterday picking up some new Kimber 1911 grips and saw one of the production managers in the Pro Shop. I had to twist his arm to give me the information, but he admitted that RIGHT NOW they're running both the 32gr and 40gr plastic-tipped Varmagaddon bullets in .20 caliber.

So the large bulk orders for the mail-order houses (Midway, etc) will be shipping in the coming weeks. They have VG seconds now, but only the HP's, no tipped seconds.......yet.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Predator1

Post by Predator1 »

Thats good to know Rick! Hopefully we can get ahold of some pretty soon. :D
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Rick... I can not locate any of the seconds on their on line web or site.. Do they have another avenue to locate some? The Nosler site does not show seconds, or I can not find the correct link.. Any info would be nice. Bill K
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill: The VG seconds may only be 'in-house', and not on the website. It could also be because the Pro Shop manager left the company last week, so there's no one monitoring the site right now until they get a new fellow in there.

If you call Gary in the Pro Shop, he can UPS seconds for you. Lots of VG seconds in .224" too.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick.. I also, just recieved back, a email from Nosler refering me to the Pro Shop.. Bill K
Predator1

Post by Predator1 »

Do you guys think the .209 BC of the 32gr Varmageddon will sacrifice alot to the .287 BC of the 39gr Sierra? Most of my shooting with the 204 is under 350yds. Which do you think will be flatter and drift less out to 350? I think I know the answer, but?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Predator1 wrote:Do you guys think the .209 BC of the 32gr Varmageddon will sacrifice alot to the .287 BC of the 39gr Sierra? Most of my shooting with the 204 is under 350yds. Which do you think will be flatter and drift less out to 350? I think I know the answer, but?
In most cases the higher BC will carry further, etc. But sometimes you can get fooled by a bullet, depending on it's shape, etc. But the rule of thumb, I believe, is higher is better out further. Bill K :)