Who's using Redding dies and what type?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Who's using Redding dies and what type?

Post by sharptailhunter »

I just put a new barrel on my 204* and I was contemplating switching to Redding dies. I don't know which style to get. Can I bump the shoulder back with the neck bushing dies? Or, do I need the full length sizing die to do that? I have been using Hornady dies to do that and I think it has worked OK. Can anyone see a problem with using my Hornady die to full length size and then just purchasing the neck bushing die to just neck size after fire forming my brass to my new chamber? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the spendy price of the Redding dies to make the switch. I'd appreciate anybody's experience with these dies or their input.

Thanks for any help!

*As an aside, I just installed the Criterion (made by Kreiger) with a 1:11 twist. The reports have been great on this barrel in the other chambers. I haven't seen anything in the 204 yet but I'll post my review as soon as I can make it to the range.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Who's using Redding dies and what type?

Post by Joe O »

Redding dies are top notch.The type S bushing die, neck, or FL, will bump the shoulder.In a bolt gun,you may be okay with the neck bushing die,however,it won't size the body,in which case they have a body die that sizes the body, slightly less than a FL die,and bumps the shoulder.I use that set up for a 243 AI.Works great.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

sell your other dies and buy the redding competition die set.
You will get a competition neck and seater die plus the body die for around $200 or less.
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

I use the Redding type S bushing die. It's a three die set. After my first reloading,and the brass has been formed to the chamber, I remove the expander ball and don't use it again until I start a new cycle of brand new brass.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Bump die for .204
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Also called a body die I think. Just bumps the shoulder back.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I personally use the Redding deluxe 3 die set for my 204's, Some guys prefer the S or Competition dies. We are a Redding dealer and would be happy to offer you a price quote on any Redding products you may need. www.customreloadingtools.com
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I use their competition sets, but I'm sure the Type S dies will be great also. These dies are awesome and I dont even consider other dies at all. If I had an arbor press I'd go with L.E. Wilson dies but otherwise I'm sold on Redding.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

I looked seriously at the Wilson dies a while back. I have their case trimmer and love it. So, the Redding deluxe set includes a neck die. Is that the same as the neck bushing die? What's the difference between the body die and the full length sizing die? Sorry for all the novice type questions, I just want to get the right equipment.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Predator1 »

Redding is no doubt top notch. And, I do own a few Redding dies, a Competition seater for a 22-250 and a full length set for my Mach IV. I once thought these dies must be the stuff as they were always pricier than other dies and I figured you pay for what you get. So, I bought em. However, I have found that Forester offers the same quality for less money. I know some will cringe when I say this but I have actually found the Lee Collet die sets to load just as accurate as the Redding stuff for waaay less money. I know some guys just can't make themselves buy "the cheap Lee stuff" but its their money so nothing wrong that. My favorite set up is to run the Collet die with a Competition seater like the Forester. Then you can use the full length to bump the shoulder back if need be after repeated firings. In the end its your money and you just have to decide how much you want to spend.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

I also neck size with Lee, and seat with a Wilson, and then bump with the Redding when I need to...

If I start with uniform neck wall thickness, I can count on no more than 0.002" bullet TIR. As I understand it, that won't do much for me, shooting factory guns, but it eliminates the "I wonder is my accuracy sink is because my bullets aren't concentric". Just one less thing to have on my mind.