I can't reload ammo this good . . .

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I've tried several bullets and powders and varying loads but I cannot get my Tikka T3 shoot anything better than the factory Hornady 32gr V-Max ammo. I was at the range sighting in my new AR15 today and took my Tikka along and when I finished with the AR, I shot 4 shells at a fresh target at 100 yards. I shot 2 2-holers almost 1 1/2" high at 3900 fps that measured .570". I don't know if it's the bullet or the proprietary powder or what - I can't find or make anything that shoots better. Back in January I shot an 1 1/2" group at a measured 200 yards off the back of my tailgate with this ammo. I'm going to quit reloading .204 and just buy more of this ammo . . .

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: I can't reload ammo this good . . .

Post by RAMOS »

Sure ya can! Don't know how many more combo's you will have to try is all. FWIW, 32 V-Max or 39 SBK, RL10X, Federal 205M and full prep WW brass has been spectacular. Don't let the factory hold you hostage!
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Have you tried different COLs for your hand loads? That can shrink your groups a fair amount when you find the sweet spot. Don't give up. Once I got my handloads dialed in the groups were half the size of Hornady factory ammo groups, and from what I've heard thats pretty much standard.
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

You've got me wondering, are those 1" squares on that target? How do you measure your groups?
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

Zeus wrote:You've got me wondering, are those 1" squares on that target? How do you measure your groups?
1/2" squares on a 4 MOA target. I measured the group outside to outside with a pair of calipers at .774" and subtracted one caliber. This isn't my first rodeo . . .
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

for what it is worth. have you changed the velocities much ? to see where your sweet spot is. and checked all screws to make sure your equipment is tight ? not much help but i think you might find the low sweet spot 100 to 200 fps slower. not sure about tikka.
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

tpcollins wrote:
Zeus wrote:You've got me wondering, are those 1" squares on that target? How do you measure your groups?
1/2" squares on a 4 MOA target. I measured the group outside to outside with a pair of calipers at .774" and subtracted one caliber. This isn't my first rodeo . . .
I'm sure it's not.....I have targets similar to that but with 1" squares. That's why I was wondering.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I really think you can do better than 1/2" with hand loads. Even if you cant, its still cheaper to shoot.
K = ½mv2
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

I wouldn't be happy even with that mate, with a tikka .204 and home loads I would expect far far better groups then that.
Like you said you shot 2x 2 hole groups, even as close as 100 yards there is a big level of inconsistency within the factory loads, the further out you go the worse it will get. The factory level of accuracy and consistency will also probably change from batch to batch as well.

How are you reloading, how have you gone about doing it? I think my worst group throughout my whole load development for my .204 was .502"

I'm sure you can get it better then that mate, tell us about it ?

Steve.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

I've gone over my reloading data and it seems I've been trying shoot 39gr bullets - both Speer TNT and Sierra BK. And I tried some 35gr, 37gr, and 39gr CRT bullets and nothing was as impressive as the Hornady 32gr factory rounds. I'm starting to think my Tikka's 1:12" twist doesn't like heavier bullets and prefers 32gr. (I did shoot a 1 1/2" group with them at 200 yards earlier this year off the back of my tailgate). The COAL on the Hornady runs about 2.255" - 2.260" and that with the inconsistantcy of a polymer tip.

I use Lee collet dies, weigh every powder charge, measure and record the COAL and ogive to base on every cartridge. I use a Harris benchrest bipod and a Protector rear bunny bag when I'm at the range. I might pick up some 32gr bullets - either Speer TNT hollow points or the Hornady V-Max polymer tip - hopefully I can get something to equal the Hornady factory ammo.
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

Post by jdohio »

What kind of scope do you have on the Tikka? I noticed with my cheap 3-9x and fat cross hairs, I couldn't really hold dead center consistently.

And my understanding is that with a slower twist like 1/12, you will have better luck with lighter bullets (32gr).

The hevier bullets are for 1/10 twist.
tpcollins

Post by tpcollins »

jdohio wrote:What kind of scope do you have on the Tikka? I noticed with my cheap 3-9x and fat cross hairs, I couldn't really hold dead center consistently.

And my understanding is that with a slower twist like 1/12, you will have better luck with lighter bullets (32gr).

The hevier bullets are for 1/10 twist.

I have a Sightron Big Sky 6-24x44mm with a dot reticle set in a DNZ one piece mount. If the scope and mount shoot ok with the Hornady factory loads I'm pretty sure it doesn't change when I shoot my reloads.

I picked up some 32gr SBK and have 3 each of six powder ranges in both H4895 and 8208 XBR powders (36 pieces total). I'll see how these shoot.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

Let us know how you get on fella if you would please. :)

steve.