Where to start?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
boomer68
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Where to start?

Post by boomer68 »

Hi guys,

I have a M700 VSSF and just getting around to loading for. At the moment it will just be target shooting. What do you suggest for bullet and powder? She has a Burris 8-32 mounted and sits in a Boyd's thumb hole stock. I have Redding Comp neck die set and the Lee Collet to work with.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: Where to start?

Post by Jim White »

boomer68 wrote:Hi guys,

I have a M700 VSSF and just getting around to loading for. At the moment it will just be target shooting. What do you suggest for bullet and powder? She has a Burris 8-32 mounted and sits in a Boyd's thumb hole stock. I have Redding Comp neck die set and the Lee Collet to work with.
I presume we're talking about a 204. This would be my preference, others may vary;

Primer: Rem 7 1/2 or CCI BR-4.
Case: Get Nosler if possible (supplied by Norma I believe) followed by either Winchester or Remington (used both and they both have about the same quality (LOT dependent). I’ve never heard anything good about Hornady (Frontier) brass.
Bullet: Depends on the barrel twist. If shooting any distance, the heavier the bullet, usually the higher the BC along with wind-bucking ability. If it is a factory barrel it most likely has a 1-12 twist and on average the heaviest bullet that will stabilize is a 30/40 grain but varies from barrel-to-barrel. Both of my Remington's love 39 SBK. The Hornady VMAX don't work and I’ve never tried the Berger bullets over 35 grains.
Powder: This goes along with; "what’s the best motor oil"? For me, I try and stick with Hodgdon’s "Extreme" line of extruded powders and of that line, H4895 has been the best for me for max velocity with best accuracy. Benchmark was just as accurate but not quite as fast. Varget trailed in both areas. For max accuracy & velocity Alliant’s Reloader-15 has provided the best by just a few FPS. The best velocity for me thus far has been IMR 8208XBR but the accuracy isn't quite as good as RL-15 with the minimal amount of test I have done. I've also tried Reloader 10x and it performed very similar to Benchmark but seemed dirtier. I have also tried Vihtivouri N135 and it too shot well with average velocities.

Although you didn't ask, to me it is worth mentioning to get good quality cleaning tools (rods, bore guides, jags, brushes and so on).

HTH,

Jim
7mag
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 7, Zeiss 4.5-14x44-Rem 700, Zeiss 6.5-20x50-Cooper Pheon

Post by 7mag »

I have a rem 700 vssfII and it loves the 40 grain vmax over 27.7 grains of h4895. Also the 32 grain vmax over 28 grains of benchmark. I use rem 7 1/2 primers or cci450. BE CAREFUL WORKING UP TO THESE LOADS!!! They are pretty warm, and I reached those numbers slowly. Just cause they are ok in my rifle doesn't mean they will be safe in yours. I have also had some luck with 8208 xbr .
Leave nothing in the field but your tracks.........(and a few carcasses!)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

On other thing, all of my 204's prefer the higher end loads for the best accuracy. A 1/10th of a grain can make big difference so be on the lookout for those pressure signs (which is why most will say use the REM 7 1/2 and CCI-BR4 and 450 primers (maybe the CCI-400's too) because they have thicker priner cups. If it were me I'd get a Box of each of Sierra 39 grain BallisticKings and 40 grain Hornady VMAX and check them both out. They give a little speed to the 32 grain bullets but they more than make up for it down range.

HTH,
boomer68
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Post by boomer68 »

Great, thanks for the responses. I will try some H4895, Nosler brass and 39gr SBK to start with.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

My 700 does very well with 39gr SBKs and 40gr Vmaxes over either Reloder 10X or CFE223.