Pheasant Hunting this past Monday.

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Sask Boy

Pheasant Hunting this past Monday.

Post by Sask Boy »

Hi Guys, my son,a buddy & I went pheasant hunting south of Weyburn Sask. We were glassing a real nice Muley buck when my son spotted a coyote on the run. I got my 204 out and gave a whistle and it stopped and I shot it fell right over we estimated the distance at over 400 yards. I was just about to get back into the truck when it got up and ran another couple of 100 yards away and sat down. I was out of my reloads so I quickly grabbed a box of factory and they were 32 gr. V max. I held approx. 2ft over and shot and he did not move so I held higher I shot again and he went down for good.
I not sure exactly how far it was but it is one of the longest shot I have ever made on a animal.
I have this rifle sighted in at 300 yards and I have been using 39 BKs with 26.5 grains of H4895. I used factory to originally get it on paper.
I think that I will be doing a little experimenting in the coming weeks I want to see if I can get a little more speed out of the 39 BKs as I know that I am not at Max.
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
Arizona Hunter

Re: Pheasant Hunting this past Monday.

Post by Arizona Hunter »

I only run the 40 V-Max at 3650fps, using 26.8 gr. of RL 15. Very accurate on prairie dogs. I figure it burns less powder and lowers the pressure a little so the barrel should last longer-at least thats what I've read. But for you and coyotes, I can see you loading that to 3800-3900.

If you ever keep the pelts, you may wish to try the Hornady 45 Spire point or 40 Berger. They penetrate better than the 40's but hold together better.
Last edited by Arizona Hunter on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakerboy

Post by bakerboy »

i am close to max load with mine, using 39's. i am using benchmark with 28 grains. i have been shooting that load for over a year now. it is pushing a little over or right at 3900 fps. my gun loves this load, when my gun is in a lead sled, the groups are .25 or better. sometimes they are all in the same hole or real close.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Sask Boy you sure know how to go pheasant hunting. I went pheasant hunting this week and all I got was some darn pheasants. Had the 204 ready for a coyote but never got a chance.