Crow sniping

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Boisblancboy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VS SF II

Crow sniping

Post by Boisblancboy »

Any one hear like to do any crow sniping with their rifle? If shot a lot of crows with my shot gun but for some reason I find it just a blast to pick them off with my .204.
.204 Remington 700 VS SF II
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Crow sniping

Post by Bill K »

It would be great fun and shooting, however my state, California, says you can only legally hunt/shoot crows with shotgun or bow/arrow. Bill K
Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

Bummer. Talk about a challenge, shooting a crow with a bow!
savageforlife
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Lpv

Post by savageforlife »

I have had a few different shots at crows with only one kill that im proud of. Shot the little bugger at 602 yards on a dead calm day while coyote hunting. Shot it with a 39 grain bk. Must admit it was a lot more gun and scope than shooter. I dialed my vortex viper 6.5-20 in right at 600 yards with a dead prone rest off a sand bag, held dead on the bird and let it fly. The crow just tipped over and my 2 friends could not believe it nor could i. Best shot with a 204 to this day. I gained great respect for vortex optics after this as well as the 204 caliber.
Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

600 away is a long shot! I just missed one this morning at 200. Mad at myself for that!
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

600+ !! That was a great shot! Crow sniping can be fun. Kentucky has a season but allows for killing crows "about to commit an act of depradation." Most of my crow kills have been during deer season. Longest was with a .25-06 and 110 gr Nosler Accubond. Now that I have a .204 and it's shooting well, I'll have to go protect the food plots from acts of depradation this summer . :)
savageforlife
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Lpv

Post by savageforlife »

Ya it was quite lucky i must say. But it seems like i miss 5 for every one i kill, they are such smart birds here in utah as im sure they are everywhere else.
Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

I just read an article, in short, more crows killed helps the waterfowl population increase. I found that interesting since I'm an avid waterfowler. But I'll take just about any excuse to get out and hunt/shoot.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Boisblancboy wrote:I just read an article, in short, more crows killed helps the waterfowl population increase. I found that interesting since I'm an avid waterfowler. But I'll take just about any excuse to get out and hunt/shoot.
Crows kill and eat many, many young birds and animals in the spring. They will raid nests and eat any fledgling or small mammal they can get their beaks into. Seems to me, in my area, that they have been on the increase and more are moving in over the last year or so. Crows, that is. Would be great if we could shot them with our rifles. But you know Enviro's and CF&G. Moving more and more to anti hunting and control. :wall: Bill K
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Hate the darn things. We raise meat goats and they will kill the kids as they are being born,they will either start with the eyes or pull the intestines out their rectum. Also heve seen them eat the soft pads on calf hooves to the point you can't get the calf on its feet. Hate them and have more trouble with them than coyotes. Smart SOB's though. I can drive by one at 20 yards but, if I stop at 200 yards they take off and make smart a$$ comments.
Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

They are smart there is no doubt about it! Well now that I have my .204 and I have her shooting well I am going to try like heck to see if I can bring some of their numbers down but that's if I can hit the darn things. Either way it will be fun trying.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Never tried it but, it might be worth buying a crow call. Give it a try and let me know if I need one!
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

Hate the darn things. We raise meat goats and they will kill the kids as they are being born,they will either start with the eyes or pull the intestines out their rectum. Also heve seen them eat the soft pads on calf hooves to the point you can't get the calf on its feet. Hate them and have more trouble with them than coyotes. Smart SOB's though. I can drive by one at 20 yards but, if I stop at 200 yards they take off and make smart a$$ comments.
had no idea crows would even do that. never saw one do anything like that. around here we have very large crows and regular crows. think they might be two different species ?
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Crows and Ravens. Ravens are much bigger and I think are protected around here. Got no problem eliminating anything messing with our livestock or children. Local law enforcement fully supports this position. When my oldest was five years old he came up to me and said: "Daddy, there's something in the pasture and I don't know what it is." Looked where he was pointing, Cougar. Eighty yards from the house in broad daylight. Dang thing was laying on its' belly, tail twitching, deciding what it wanted most on our menu.
Boisblancboy

Post by Boisblancboy »

I've used a call shot gunning them. When I'm sniping them I just hunt over a carcass or what have you.