Four more pasture poodles down in WV

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Immortal
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV 204,Cooper MTV 204,Sabre Defence 204

Four more pasture poodles down in WV

Post by Immortal »

Well since I could not go to the range to continue load development on the Savage 204,figured I would take out my frustrations on some hogs.

Went to a new farm that I recently acquired hunting rights to. I was talking to the land owner and she said absolutely no semi auto rifles allowed. I told her that I was planning on shooting my AR in 204. She then asked me what "AR" stood for. I replied back"accurate rifle". I showed her my weapon and she said to go ahead and use it and we'll see how it goes.

She then told me where to park my vehicle so I proceeded to where I thought was a good place to park. As I was getting close to the barn I planned on parking by,I saw a ground hog about 250 yards out making it's way back to the hole.I thought this is great,not even out of the Suburban yet and I'm already seeing them.

I got geared up and set off after the pig I had spotted. I got to within 200 yards and got set up. All of a sudden I spotted another one farther out and slightly right running away from the one I was trying to stalk. He got to the top of a small hill and stopped to take one last look at me. Big mistake!! Got on him and sent the 32gr. B/K his way. Instantly saw the re mist and knew he was DRT!!

After the hero pic I decided to try another field.Got to the gate and as I was opening it I saw another about 100 yards out sunbathing on a rock by it's hole. Grabbed the rifle and got to within 80 yards.I could tell it was a little nervous so decided to take the shot.Being so close I held a little low and sent one on it's way. Missed!! shot just below it and sprayed it with rock shards. Immediately it went down the hole so I figured it was down for the day.

Went back to get my gear and proceeded to my next spot. I no more than sat down in my chair when I noticed on standing up in some tall weeds looking straight at me. Distance was about 40 yards!! Thought to myself "man how am I going to pull this one off!". Slowly slid out of my chair and got set up.All the while it kept watching me. Placed the cross hair on his chest and squeezed. Instantly he folded and I knew he was history. Now I know why he looked so tall.He was standing on a tire for a better view.

Walked the field for a while but no action so I decided to head back the other way. Walked for about 400yards and noticed one close by the owners house. Not wanting to shoot so close I decided to pass on the shot.Turned to look in the direction I just came from,I spotted one coming out of it's hole and making it's way onto a rock. Had to make my way to the top of a knoll and had to butt scoot about 30 yards to get a clear shot.This one had no idea what was about to unfold. Ranged him about 200 yards. Got settled in and let one rip. Saw the hit in the scope and watched it do a 360 in mid air. First time I have ever lifted a ground hog in the air. He went about 18" straight up. Needless to say he was history.

It's was getting late so I decided to take one last look for the hog that I missed. Sure enough it was back out on the same rock!! Time for payback!! As I was trying to put on a stalk,it spotted me and went down it's hole.Immediately it came back out but would only show it's head. I was able to get to within 225 yards but it would not come out any farther. Figured I better not take a chance to get closer so I settled in and got on it. As soon as I squeezed the trigger I heard the infamous "whop" and knew I planted it good. Lifted the piggy right out of it's hole.

On my way out,I stopped by to talk to the landowner to see if they had any concerns with me using my AR. She replied that she didn't even hear me shoot so I think she is comfortable with my rifle. I told her I got 4 hogs and she smiled and said than you.

All in all a good day.

Dave
Great White North
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3

Re: Four more pasture poodles down in WV

Post by Great White North »

Nice! Its good to see green grass lol, its still brown with some snow in my neck of the woods. Did the lady give any indication as to why she didn't want a semi auto used on her property? Seems kind of silly if she wants the hogs dead.
Immortal
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV 204,Cooper MTV 204,Sabre Defence 204

Post by Immortal »

Great White North wrote:Nice! Its good to see green grass lol, its still brown with some snow in my neck of the woods. Did the lady give any indication as to why she didn't want a semi auto used on her property? Seems kind of silly if she wants the hogs dead.
I think that her concept of semi auto AR's is people pulling the trigger as fast as they can sending boolits everywhere. I told her my rifle is set up for long range shooting.I also added that having a semi auto does have it's advantages.Like a quick follow up shot if you wound an animal.She did like the sound of not letting the animal suffer.

I think I have persuaded her to let me hunt with my "accurate rifle".

Dave
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Love it!! thanks for the great pics too!

I was out with mine last week, and had one shot opportunity. Unfortunately, I gave my buddy 1st crack and he made good on it with his 25-06 @ 289 yards :mad: , LOL!!

Congrats, brudda!