anyone use the 45 hornady sp?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
snipersam
.204 Ruger Guns: vanguard sub moa varmint

anyone use the 45 hornady sp?

Post by snipersam »

how does this bullet preform/react on game? more of a mushrooming bullet or blows to pieces? exit holes in coyotes/fox?
Great White North
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3

Re: anyone use the 45 hornady sp?

Post by Great White North »

I wouldn't use them if you want to keep the fur. They have always had a large exit hole when I have used them. If you hand load, the Berger 35gr and 40gr have given me the best results. Drops them right there and usually no exit.
Last edited by Great White North on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I shot several groundhogs last Summer with them as a test media. They knocked the snot outta them from about 10yds out to a little over 100yds. Per my very unscientific testing I have to agree with GWN on the fur issue. I never found any of the bullets because they all passed thru but indications were that they expanded nicely & left a nice channel.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

I have shot many coyotes using the Hornady 45gr SP...and all have produced excellent results! Ranges varied from 50yds to over 300yds, somebroadside and all other angles as well. I even shot one in the head and there was not a big explosion at all. I keep all furs as our Saskatchewan coyotes are prime. The most sewing I have done is with about 4-6 stiches, but most are are 20 cal entrance with a slightly larger 20 cal exit that require 3-4 stitches.
once_a_skeptic
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps varmint hb with Bell and Carlson tactical stock

Post by once_a_skeptic »

45 sp hornady were good up to 100 to 150 yds the would tummble. 40 gr horn worked awesome accept for the giant hole it left at no matter what range lol. currently using 32 gr horn and I shoot 2" group at 350 yrds not such a big hole. especially when u shoot in one ear hole and out the other lol. I shoot a rem 700 sps varmint with a bell n carlson tac/varm stock 1:12" twist and a timney trigger lol Its a GD tack driver but fml if u end up walkin. startin to reload and built some sierra bk 39 gr and waiting for he 35gr bergers to show up. any tips reloadin for this gun lemme know .
once_a_skeptic
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps varmint hb with Bell and Carlson tactical stock

Post by once_a_skeptic »

45 sp hornady were good up to 100 to 150 yds the would tummble. 40 gr horn worked awesome accept for the giant hole it left at no matter what range lol. currently using 32 gr horn and I shoot 2" group at 350 yrds not such a big hole. especially when u shoot in one ear hole and out the other lol. I shoot a rem 700 sps varmint with a bell n carlson tac/varm stock 1:12" twist and a timney trigger lol Its a GD tack driver but fml if u end up walkin. startin to reload and built some sierra bk 39 gr and waiting for he 35gr bergers to show up. any tips reloadin for this gun lemme know .
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

snipersam wrote:how does this bullet preform/react on game? more of a mushrooming bullet or blows to pieces? exit holes in coyotes/fox?
You will find that the sp's open like a decent hunting bullet and hold together. Now the SPSX's they put out are the explosive one's, they open fast and take things apart.. Bill K :)
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I'm having trouble finding load data for the 45 grain bullets. What is everybody using? For powder I have CFE223, R10X, AA2230 and H322. I also have Varget and Benchmark but I like to save that for the 6BR.
Shady99
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite synthetic (Non Stainless)

Post by Shady99 »

haven't used the 45 grain sp yet but limited success with the 40 grain v-max

interesting fact: the 45 grain sp is actually shorter than the 40 grain vmax so it "should" stabilize better than the 40 grain vmax.

i had a problem with the 40 grain vmax grouping consistently, always a flier that opened the 0.5 inch group up to about 1 to 1.25 inches.

also the 40 grain is not fur friendly at all and not the best choice for anchoring coyotes, had only one get away out of 10 but that was heartbreaking enough. most of the
others needed a second or third shot to finish them off. I know shot placement is very critical but since i switched to 40 grain bergers i have not needed a second shot so far.

The berger 40 grain is a hollow point boat tail with a ballistic coef. of 0.225; that is quite a bit lower than the 40 gr. vmax at 0.275 and the 45 gr. sp at 0.245; but for some reason the trajectory of the berger 40 grain is only approx 1 to 2 inches lower than the 40 grain vmax, so either the bc is incorrect or the longer vmax is not perfectly stable with a 1-12 twist.

i have a hornady reloading manual but the powders you (Tokimini) are interested in are not listed
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Shady99, I have the same Hornady manual.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I see the photos for the line up are no longer available from "predator hunt Canada" so will post these again in regards to lengths and stability of the 45 gr SP's for 1 in 12 twist tubes.

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7237

Been a while since I've been out here. Been working over seas in the middle east for a while now and really miss my 204's. Heading back at the end of may for the birth of our first grandchild and hoping to head out to the fields and make "skippy" do some aerobatics (as Rick would say) before I head back to the land of sand again.
Place sure looks different.
Savage Vaporizer