Members Meet.....Skippy Flies

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Re: Members Meet.....Skippy Flies

Post by hemiallen »

That sounds pretty fast shooting Dan. I know when I was on the little ones last year with the 17hmr I was probably about one every 20 seconds, until I needed to reload. Most all of my Skippy rifles are now 18 grain or less powder burners, and heavy barrels to take longer to heat up, but they do take a long time to cool down.

Be careful, Rick will cost you money....lol. He surely will try and convince you to set the barrels back on those 204's you have listed : 0

Sounds like fun, does Oregon require out of state hunting licenses? Dang retirement is expensive, LOL

Allen
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Yes Oregon requires an out of state hunting license to shoot sage rats, unless you are an agent of the land owner. Better get in writing to save yourself problems. Last time I checked it was about $140.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hemiallen wrote:Sounds like fun, does Oregon require out of state hunting licenses? Dang retirement is expensive, LOL Allen
Allen: In regard to retirement......now that I am, I don't know how I ever found time to go to work!

The best part of it is, in the springtime when the weekday weather looks sunny and mild, a guy can grab a rifle and an ammo can and go have his way with the varmints. No boss to lie to, no desk that's piled high when you get back, nobody ragging on you at all. It's quite possibly the best time in a guys life. Just add varmints and sun, we'll do the rest. :wink:

And as sindewinder mentioned above, if you shoot rats here and have a written permission slip from the landowner, no license required, just shoot 'em up and make empty brass. Speaking of making empty brass, we'll see you soon in that regard. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Yes, I recommend retirement to anyone who asks,lol

I still need to get a new batch of 20vt ammo verified on paper before turning all of the empties into 'SKIPPY KILLERS" and agree, that day will come soon. I have no excuse to not break bread this year, I think I will be by myself and you can talk me into another purchase over the firepit. I totally blame YOU for the 1517D-HB, you know....lol

If Mike stays home I can bring more of my arsenal, I do have a 10-22 Kid upgraded and about 900 of the good winchester 40 gn hp's, again at your suggestion.LOL Glad I got them when I did.

Allen
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Just got all caught up on my reloads, and now it starts snowing...
I will be up your way Mar 28-Apr 10 so save some for me. Would be great to meet up with you guys and share some laughs at Skippy's expense. Just picked up my rimfires from the gunsmith, barrels threaded for the suppressor. Brand new CZ 17 Hornet waiting for its first kill. 800 rounds of Vartarg ready to send em flyin! Gonna be a great year!
K = ½mv2
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Nice report Rick, as always, and nice shooting. You surely know how to make a guy jealous.

Glad to see the recent "present" is working out for you. At 3100fps, you're not losing much on anything with plenty of splat factor.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SShooterZ wrote:Nice report Rick, as always, and nice shooting. You surely know how to make a guy jealous.

Glad to see the recent "present" is working out for you. At 3100fps, you're not losing much on anything with plenty of splat factor.
SSZ: Don't be jealous, that snow will go away soon......promise. ;)

This is my fourth 221FB rifle....the last three were all Sako L461's built over the years, and every time I'd finish one and get it into the field, someone just would HAVE to have it, and make me a silly high offer I'd of course take. Not this time, I'm keeping this one and remember why I liked the little caliber so much in the first place.

As for 'splat-factor'.....it doesn't launch them like a warm 39gr SBK out of a 204R, but it does the deed with a lot less fuss:

Almost time to get back out again. No wonder this is my favorite time of the year. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SShooterZ

Post by SShooterZ »

Rick in Oregon wrote:SSZ: Don't be jealous, that snow will go away soon......promise. ;)
Well the snow is gone here. But, we don't have squirrels. SO I'm still jealous.. :lol: :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SShooterZ wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:SSZ: Don't be jealous, that snow will go away soon......promise. ;)
Well the snow is gone here. But, we don't have squirrels. SO I'm still jealous.. :lol: :D
Well then, maybe you should try the "LOS" (Lack Of Skippy) therapy just posted here on the forum by our buddy dsandfort. It may have therapeutic properties we're not aware of yet. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

SShooterZ

Post by SShooterZ »

I saw that. LOL So far it hasn't worked for me. Seems shooting those squirrels is a popular event in the NorthWest. Couple of guys at BP have been doing it too. Only adds to my jealousy factor.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SShooterZ wrote:Seems shooting those squirrels is a popular event in the NorthWest.
You bet it is, and more so now than ever. I started as a kid with my pellet gun then a .22. After returning from overseas in '68, I got into it with a M700 Varmint in 22-250 and really got the fever. Been at it ever since (with smaller cartridges), but it seems 'the world' has discovered what fun it is, so now there's competition for good places to shoot the little buggers. But it still beats the best prairie dog shooting I've ever had, and it's closer to home to boot. I'm convinced it's the most fun a guy can have with a rifle. We all just wish the shooting season was longer; usually only three solid months a year.

When I die, I'm sure there will be a huge rodent festival to celebrate me being gone. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

SShooterZ wrote:I saw that. LOL So far it hasn't worked for me. Seems shooting those squirrels is a popular event in the NorthWest. Couple of guys at BP have been doing it too. Only adds to my jealousy factor.
And addicting too. I went for the first time about six years ago, borrowing a 17 HMR. Since then I've acquired a collection of 17HMR, 20VT, 204, 221F and a 22LR. I'm glad the Mrs. understands.