Friday fun with "Skippy"

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Friday fun with "Skippy"

Post by futuretrades »

Yesterday I decided to take another trip up to my shooting grounds, north of me. It takes me about an hour to get to the new spot the rancher told me about. I left the house just after 9AM, which is kinda late for me, but with the temps in morning only in the low teens, I wanted to let things warm up a bit before I hit the road. I'm getting a little soft in my old age I guess. Just can't take the cold like I used to. This trip I was prepared, I remembered my bino's and my rest, and even remembered my camera. Here's a shot of what I seen when I finally got to my spot. There were mounds in every direction I looked, and "Skippy was out and about every where I looked! I was in "Skippy" heaven I do believe! :lol: I only had 2 rifles with me on this trip, which was my mistake. I had my Cooper in 20VT and my Howa 1500 in 204. I did bring plenty of ammo on this trip.
Here's a pic of what I was looking at when I got set up.

This poor fellow was almost cut in half by the 20VT, loaded with a 32 grain Vmax, seated at .005 off the lands.With a charge of 28.1 grains of H4198, and a Remington 7 1/2 primer, moving at 3700 fps. This load will shoot bug holes all day long, at 100 yards. Where I set up, most of my shooting was between 100 and 300 yards.

I couldn't find the rest of this victim! :eek: I did a search all around his corps, but no luck.

Here is a victim of my 204R. I load these with a 32 grain Vmax also, With a charge of 27.1 grs., of Benchmark, and a WSR primer, moving at 3900 fps. I seat these at .125 off the lands. My howa does have a SAAMI chamber, but no worries because this load will put a 5 shot group at 100 yards in less than 1/2 in. It was a beautiful day, lots of, sunshine and almost no wind. Thus the reason I stayed with the 32's. Normally the wind comes up between lunch time and 1pm. Then I go to the 39 gr. SBK's in my 204

Here's a pic of my shooting location and my set up. As you can see in this pic, the sky was completely clear of all clouds.

There were times when letting barrels cool and taking time to eat some lunch, that my position was compromised, as I was almost overrun with "Skippy" coming at me from every direction :eek:! I guess I was lucky indeed, I made it out of there with all my stuff and my life :shock:

All in all, it was one of my most pleasant times, in memory, of giving "Skippy" flying lessons
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Friday fun with "Skippy"

Post by skipper »

Nice looking setup. Makes me wish I was there. Better watch out though, you might get that beautiful truck dirty.

You going hunting with Rick this year?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

skipper wrote: Better watch out though, you might get that beautiful truck dirty.
[/quote]

My old rig needed tires and when I went shopping I came home with a new vehicle! :eek: The way I look at, I remember a quote from an old friend of mine from Oklahoma. He always said, "If it don't do what I need it to do, I don't need it". :chin:
skipper wrote:You going hunting with Rick this year?
[/quote]

I am planing on it, if Rick and the guys from Or. come down for the "Rat Rodeo". It is alway's a good time getting together with my old friends from the EORFS, and catching up.
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hey there, Kevin.....looks like you had your way with our little rodent pals. Spring is starting to spring at last, and the little buggers are out in full force already. I was out doing the same thing this weekend....teaching Skippy to fly. ;)

Are you sure you were shooting 28.1 grs of H4198 in that 20VT? I'm not sure how you got that much powder in the case, maybe I'm missing something? I'm thinking typo, but I've been wrong before.

We'll see you for the 17th Annual Rat Rodeo soon. This should be a bumper crop of rats this year too.......the most fun a guy can have with a rifle! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Are you sure you were shooting 28.1 grs of H4198 in that 20VT?
Sorry about that, you are indeed right Rick! :huh: My bad, the charge is 18.1grs. in my VT. I didn't catch that until you pointed it out to me.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

No better way to spend a day! Take that deep breath of clean dry air, smell the tinge of burnt powder drifting in the wind, listen to the "crack-thud" of a well-placed shot, then wondering where the day went when it starts getting dark. It seems like you just started. But you definitely sleep well that night!
K = ½mv2
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Enjoyed that clip Bodei.. Will be watching for more of your video's.. Sure glad Kevin, you corrected that load info. I just knew you could, no way, get 28.1 in a 20VT case unless you powdered it, maybe... But Thank you for the photo's and info on your shoot, very nice. Bill K
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Kevin, glad to see you had a nice trip. Sure hope I can make the Rat Rodeo this year but it comes right in the middle of a major home remodeling project. Gary
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Looks like fun, they are out in force here in Oregun, but no babies yet! Nice looking rig, we can legally shoot out of our rigs in Oregun and that's how I setup. I place my bench in the back of the rig and when I move it's easy.

Retired Timber faller
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

ClaimJumper wrote:we can legally shoot out of our rigs in Oregun and that's how I setup
Because of me being disabled, here in the Commie state of Kalifornia, I can legally shoot out of my vehicle, but only for taking game, including skippy. I do have to have my permit with me when shooting out of my vehicle. If I am target shooting, or working up loads, or just plinking, I am not legal. I know this because I got checked by the local warden when I got my new Ruger MarkIII and was leaning against my pickup, resting the pistol on the engine hood, and shooting at any target I could find. He was a very nice guy, and clued me into the law as far as my permit is concerned, between shooting targets or any animal. What I cannot explain is this law, as far as the difference for a disabled shooter. He let me know that I was shooting squirrels in the area, and not plinking, so I didn't get a violation. Like I said, "nice guy"