26gn Varmint Grenades

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Romek
.204 Ruger Guns: None

26gn Varmint Grenades

Post by Romek »

Hi guys.
I am after a little advice.

I currently use a .17hmr as I hunt on small properties and want to eliminate the chance of ricochet or bullets passing through the Red Fox I target here in Australia. I limit my shots to around 100m.

I am considering upgrading to a Howa .204 and using the 26gn Varmint Grenades and W748 powder.

Can anybody tell me the best twist rate for such light projectiles?
Is W748 suitable for the Varmint grenades? Ive read about everybody using the 32gn load data.
Are there any other mid priced rifles that I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

Romek.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: 26gn Varmint Grenades

Post by futuretrades »

As a Howa owner, and shooter, in 204, I don't think you can beat this rifle for quality, value, and accuracy. It will come in a 1&12 twist, which should handle just about any bullet, except maybe the 40grainers, you choose to feed it.
On a good day in the rat fields, I can go thru more than 100 rds a day. Like any 204, you will need to keep her clean to maintain accuracy. JMHO
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Second the Howa choice or, if you can find one, the new Ruger American in 204R. 1-12 to 1-11 twist will work for you. Work up a load from the 32 grain bullets. Bill K
Romek

Post by Romek »

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like the Howa will fit the bill nicely.

One last question.....

Would I be right in thinking the lighter 26gn projectiles would not need a long barrel to get velocity up?
Being so light, would they reach their max velocity earlier and I would be able to take an inch or two off the barrel length to make shooting from a vehicle window more comfortable?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Personally, I do not believe you would lose enough to worry about. If you are after clearance from a vehicle. Bill K
Romek

Post by Romek »

So it has been a few years since I started this thread. I thought it might be interesting to give a quick update.

I ended up getting a Tikka T3 Varmint and it shoots the Varmint Grenades very well. I use W748 and am more than happy with the accuracy for fox hunting here in South Australia. As I said previously, I only shoot around 100m on small properties so the tiny projectiles are fine.

I use the ATN Xsight 2 with the NM800 IR light.
Attachments
230.jpg
230.jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 11969 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Looks like you found a nice setup and it appears it is working as you want. Thanks for sharing. Will be watching for more photos, we like photos.. :D Bill K :)
Romek

Post by Romek »

More photos will be coming. It is the middle of summer here with some days around 40*c which is 104*F so hunts are a little less frequent.
It has been a while since I frequented this forum and things look a little quiet.....
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Post by dirtcd »

Has the ATN Xsight 2 worked well for you? Been contemplating one for shooting coyotes at night here in the states.
Romek

Post by Romek »

Hi dirtcd.

Yes, I have been very happy with the ATN Xsight2.

When I first saw them, I was a little unsure how a digital screen would be for holding zero but I have not had any problems in the 2 years so far.

However, you will need to upgrade the factory IR light if you shoot past 100 yards. I currently use a Nightmaster 800 but there are a few other top quality IR torches that will work way better than the one that comes with the scope. Also, a battery pack or Lithium AA batteries are a must. It will chew through normal Alkaline batteries in about 20 minutes. I use Kentli rechargeable AA and get more than 6 hours use easily.

There are 3 series available. Xsight 1, Xsight2 and now the new 4K version with plenty of forums and facebook groups for support if you run into any trouble.
FoxFlopper
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning Predator Hunter

Post by FoxFlopper »

I liked my xsight2, then it failed to start...now 4kpro..sometimes freezes. I moved to PBiR torches.

Was interesting your happy with 26gn for closer ranges..I'm just starting the 204 journey..

I also fox in SA....
Rogman
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 22 inch barrel 12 inch twist

Post by Rogman »

Im foxing in WA, use the ATN X Sight 4 K Pro with Sniperhog light (can see out to 300 yards!!) absolutely the best IR light on the planet! Ive got a Tikka T3 .204 and playing with factory rounds ( I dont reload) I am wanting distance to 200m but lot of shots within 100. I have a 1/12 twist and 22' barrel. My understanding is that up to 50 gn will be good and then you run the risk of tumbling, so I have been playing with 32 grn Hornady Vmax and 40gr Hornady as well as 39 grn SBK. I think the 40's are great and less drift in wind, still playing though , I want something that will be flat shooting but good out to 300m at a pinch. Any hunters have a preference with factory rounds?
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

If your 1/12 twist is like most 204's, you might have success with the 40 grain, without it yawing or tumbling, but over that most heavier bullets will not work well at all.
You will find the 32 and less will work the best. If you want to shoot heavier bullets then you are probably going to have to rebarrel with a 1/11 or faster twist. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rogman, Bill K is spot-on in regard to bullet weight and twist. You might as well forget shooting the 50gr bullets in your 12T rifle. It would be a most frustrating experience. Stick to the 39gr SBK and lighter, and you'll be both money and smiles ahead.

Sorry, but that's the truth unless you re-barrel to at least an 11 twist. Myself and others here have gone that route and have had complete success. PTG has my reamer on file that is considered a 204R Match chamber, similar to what TK designed, just with less freebore. Shoots in the high "ones" and low "two's". Good stuff and allows bullets to be seated at or near the lands.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rogman
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 22 inch barrel 12 inch twist

Post by Rogman »

:D thanks Bill I will revisit the 32gn, but will they drift more in the wind ?
Bill K wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:13 pm If your 1/12 twist is like most 204's, you might have success with the 40 grain, without it yawing or tumbling, but over that most heavier bullets will not work well at all.
You will find the 32 and less will work the best. If you want to shoot heavier bullets then you are probably going to have to rebarrel with a 1/11 or faster twist. :)