Red Fox with 32gr Vmax

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Re: Red Fox with 32gr Vmax

Post by varmit_master »

The 32gr bking mite be better if u wanted to use 32 gr. For fox cats my goto bullet is a 35 gr Berger hp. The 39 gr bking is what I shoot to. My rifle will shoot same bullet as the others. I don't know how that work out. But the 39 gr bking will make mess of a cross at 250 yds. I have killed a bunch.
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

I recently switched from 32gr vmax to 40gr nosler balistic tip (both factor loads). Killed lots of coyotes with 32 vmax and only switched because my rifle seems to like the Nosler 40's better. If the are not tipping over with the 32's ... then it wasn't a great shot. Majority of coyotes just Tip over in there tracks with a shot behind the shoulder. If it's facing a chest shot does the same. Shot a orange with a .32 vmax, now imagine that in the fox/coyotes chest cavity...not going far. Not being a jerk just my observation. My buddy heard a "thwack" on one he shot but it ran. Had a great blood trail so we thought it was a good shot. After a long tracking session I finished it with a 12 gauge. He hit it high in the leg. If they fall over then it was a good shot. My 2 cents.
petemacmahon
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by petemacmahon »

I've come to the conclusion that the .204 is just too much for fox. I was using Winchester's 32 grain molly coated hollow tips for years only because my CZ liked them. I about ran out and realized they are no longer being made. So, it's back to the drawing board.

But my biggest gripe about the 204 is the lack of FMJ for when I want to save the fur. I've had it blow entire front QTRs off of fox. It's simply too much, especially at woods ranges. I've gone over to .22 WMR for my close in fox hunting.