.204R on cougar?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Mickey D
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

.204R on cougar?

Post by Mickey D »

While enjoying the views from my home/property here in Idaho, I've seen two cougars in the vicinity. One a young fella about a year old and another a bit larger. Both have been seen within 150 yards.
Would anyone advise if the .204 from my CZ 527v would be lethal and what factory load might be advisable?
Thanks

Pics are always welcomed. :D

CZ 527v .204R w/ Bushnell Elite 4500

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: .204R on cougar?

Post by RAMOS »

No problem with the cartridge, I believe it is even legal in Idaho. However, as far as I am concerned, the 35 grain Berger MHP is the only bullet I would consider. I have heard you can order them as loaded rounds from a 'boutique' ammunition company. Try Googling it. The 204R, and MANY others, really shine when you can roll-your-own.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Of course many are shot, treed by hounds and close up. But many guides use .22 Mag to dispatch cougars. Your 204 would do the job, I would really try for a solid head/neck shot or placed right into the heart/lung area. The 35 Berger would be a good bullet for this. In my opinion. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mickey: Two friends here both are what I'd call "cougar nuts". Both have killed more than I ever will, and both use very different calibers for kitties. My buddy John below uses his Mini-14 and 55gr NBT's, and reports all one-shot kills.

John with one of his cats:

And at the other end of the spectrum, here's my other friend with a recent cat taken with his trusty Marlin 980 in 22 Mag. He's taken well over 200 cats in his lifetime using the same rifle, but he does use his hounds and trees them before lighting off the Marlin.

I guess the point here is that "yes", the 204R is completely capable of taking cougar with the proper bullet, but shot placement is as always the most important aspect of the equation. I'll also agree that if you do intend to hunt cats with the 204R, the Berger 35gr would be my first choice also.

Good luck, and if you bag a cat, we'll want pics! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mickey D
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Mickey D »

Thanks all. I have been loading straight wall hand gun cartridges for 35 years. I'll have to set up to load rifle very soon.
Appreciate all the tips on the Berger bullets.
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

Like the others, I think it'll work fine. May not have quite the 'thump' of a 175 SMK from an '06, but it should do. ;)