first coyote

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
godinlg_2

first coyote

Post by godinlg_2 »

I finally got my first coyote this morning. some high pitched cottontail screams and he came running. Stopped at 90 yd. and shot right between the eyes. The 40 gr. Bergers definetly work well :!:
janneuf

Re: First Coyote

Post by janneuf »

I think any bullet ever made by ANY manufacturer would give you a clean kill when you hit it there.

Just curious, why would you opt for that shot? A coyote turns his head a lot when standing still, the chest however, never moves. I would take the chest shot every time in that situation.
janneuf
godinlg_2

Post by godinlg_2 »

the corn stalks where covering the chest. the head was an open shot.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Great to here you got your first coyote. It sound's like your hooked now. So just go out and have fun with that 204 and the coyote's and let us know how thing's go for ya.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Gotta love a head shot :reddot: .At 90 yards,I would have done the same even if the body was showing.Congrats!! VERY WELL DONE :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

janneuf

Head shot

Post by janneuf »

Sure me too, I'll always take the shot where I have the smallest chance of making a clean kill. 1" high and you miss 1" low and you hit the coyote in the nose, maybe from a bench rest.....never in the field.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
janneuf
OldSchool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP Super Sniper 10x

Post by OldSchool »

great job godinlg_2, corn stalks would definitely have stopped your bullet or worse, resulted in a bad hit. Head shot on a stationary dog at 90yds should be easy or you should stay home.
"There's only one truth about war: people die." - Sheridan
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

OldSchool wrote: Head shot on a stationary dog at 90yds should be easy or you should stay home.
Me and my partner (the rifle) shoot to our potential.0-200 yards with a rest or bipod,It's always a head shot. :reddot:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

janneuf

Head Shot

Post by janneuf »

A head shot is one thing, that's not what was claimed, a head shot is reasonable depending on the circumstances. The claim was a shot right between the eyes at 90 yards.

On a final note, I'll bet those hides look great if you only shoot for the head.
janneuf
godinlg_2

Post by godinlg_2 »

well when it is looking towards you it's either between the eyes or in one of them
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Head shot

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

janneuf wrote:1" low and you hit the coyote in the nose,
That brings up a interesting question.I would think my load of 28.2 H4895 with the 35 grain Berger would drop him in his tracks with a straight on nose shot.Has this happened to anyone :?: .Please chime in if it has.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

janneuf

Hit in the nose

Post by janneuf »

Well a coyote weighs 35-40 pounds and your load has about 900 FPE at 100 yards and about 400 at 500 yards.........I would say yes.
janneuf
janneuf

well when it is looking towards you it's either between the

Post by janneuf »

I have made dozens of Coyote stands.....shot a couple dozen in my day....many in Southern Indiana north of Evansville..and I NEVER was faced with a head shot or nothing.............EVER
janneuf
OldSchool
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP Super Sniper 10x

Post by OldSchool »

godinlg_2 congrats again on your first yote. I am not sure why some want to run down anybody's personal achievement just cuz they are more experienced. I still remember my first dog 16 years ago. I shot a bunch since then and I guarantee I was NEVER in the exact same field with the exact same dog on the exact same day you were..........EVER. I will bet some more experience at setup will get you in a spot for some clearer shooting though.

Keep the stories coming, l always love too here about dead yotes
"There's only one truth about war: people die." - Sheridan
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

My 1st coyote was a head shot & I wasn't even running bullets above 3100fps. :lol: I used my CZ American 221FireBall with a 50gr BK. :twisted: And in case anybody wonders/cares it was a DRT with the little FireBall. :wink:

I would have taken the same shot with my 17HMR & the 20gr XTP's at 90yds. Would it have worked?? The only way to find out is to squeeze one off. And the landowners I hunt on want them shot or shot at. I do what they want me to do. Otherwise I have to look for more land to hunt. I respect my adversary whether it be a squirrel or a groundhog or a coyote. But I'm out there for the farmers as well. Keeping them happy is my main concern. :wink:

Congrats on your 1st coyote!! I hope you get to enjoy the experience many many more times.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen