Deer got lucky!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
trdtoy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Deer got lucky!

Post by trdtoy »

I was deer huntin yesterday with my 204 lookin over a pretty large clear cut when 3 does came out at ~250yds. I put the crosshairs on the largest ones neck(white patch) and touched off. All 3 deer ran untill out of sight and I was then puzzled. I looked where the deer were standing and no blood, no hair, nada. Went back this mornin an found that I had hit a limb the size of a pencil about 15-20' in front of where the deer was standing. If the bullet were to have gone 1/8th inch either way it would have been me=1 deer=0 but nope, it went the other day around. Oh well, maybe tomorrow it will be different!
Major accomplishments with my gun so far:
450yds crow, 410yds opossum, 450yds coyote, 150yds Grey squirrel head shot!
Best 3x group-touching @ 200yds
Deer killed: 11 and counting. From 8 to 220yds!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious. There has been a lot of debate here and on other forums as to the suitability of the 204 for game as small as a coyote (I believe the 204 is a great coyote round). It seems that most of the bulllets are designed for small varmint hunting. Do you feel that this is a large enough caliber to shoot deer with? I guess you have shot a few with it. I have double lunged many deer with a 130gr. Sierra boat tail and had them run 100yds. Some have also dropped like a rock. I have also put a perfect heart shot on a white tail doe with a Speer Grand Slam 250gr. out of my .338 while elk hunting and had it go about 75yds before piling up. So what is your reasoning for choosing the 204 as a deer caliber?
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I have to agree, I feel the 204 is too small for large game. I suppose that if you only had one rifle and it was a 204 and you had to put food on the table. But I think that this isn't the case with most people who hunt with a 204. Not sure why anyone would take a chance on wounding any animal if it wasn't necessary?

As far as using the 204 on coyotes so far anything under 100 yards using the 35 or 40 gr is defiantly going down. I’m going to have to see about anything out further than that, but if I find in marginal I won’t use it.
trdtoy

Post by trdtoy »

When choosing a caliber for any game bullet weight and caliber are irrevelant IMO. The damage that the bullet does and the wound channel it produces are the most important factors. Bullets of the same weight and/or caliber do not perform the same. It's not about punching a hole through an animal with a large caliber/weight bullet it is about having a bullet that will do sufficient enough damage when it gets there to do the job!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

You sir, are misinformed. I will state now that the 204 ruger is not an adequate deer caliber and you are doing a disservice to all ethical hunters by saying that it is. You are the reason why most states have to legislate a minimun caliber for large game hunting. Go do what you will, but you are wrong. Why not just shoot them with a pellet gun? I'm sure that sooner or later you will kill one.
flunkedchemistry

Post by flunkedchemistry »

At the risk of getting flailed from several directions, I completely agree with your post Whistlepig and what you are saying. I have hunted deer since being a teen ager in spite of what others here may think or feel about me and my experience.

Like a carpenter, use the right tool for the job. The 204 Ruger is not a good deer cartridge. :!:
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Flunkedchemistry, Thank you.
SportFaller

Post by SportFaller »

I agree with the 90% of people on here that think the 204 is too light for deer, BUT, and here’s the kicker, in certain situations, I think the 204 is effective. If you saw the following picture posted by DIVERTEXAS, you might agree that a close range headshot would be effective.

I thought about using my 204 to take a doe from my tree stand, but had set myself a limit of 75 yards MAX. I know I could make a headshot from further, but couldn’t hunt again if I ever blew a jaw off and had one run off. I decided not to try it. I'll stick to my 300 wsm.
H&R handi rifle in .204
Browning BLR lever in 300WSM
Savage MarkII FV in 22lr
Walther P22
Benelli Nova
various others.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

trdtoy

In your by line it states that one of your accomplishments is a doe in the head at 175 yards. Doesn't that seem a little long for head shot taken in the field?

One of the problems with taking a .204 in the deer fields is that in the heat of the moment you start taking shots that you should pass on. Depending on bullet choice, the energy of the .204 at 200 yards is hardly sufficient to guarantee an ethical kill. If hunters don't practice ethics then legislators might exercise their authority.

Take enough gun to get the job done in whatever situation you encounter.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I agree that I wouldn't shoot a deer with a .204, but in trdtoy's defence, if you are using a bullet that's designed to penetrate, like a Berger, a precicely placed shot in the breadbox will kill. I have a buddy that routinely hunts deer with his 22-250. I liken it to bow hunting. The deer will die from hemmoraging rather that bullet trauma. Now, if he's using a 32grain Vmax, I think he's being irresponsible. Being a Vmax will not penetrate if a rib is hit. You might take one lung, but the odds of recovering that deer are pretty low.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

A rock will kill a deer if you throw it just right. Doesn't mean I'll fill my pockets with stones next time I climb in my deer stand.

In my opinion, a .204 is too small for deer. In my opinion, a 250 yard shot in the field is challenging. In my opinion, using a .204 on a 250 yard shot at a deer is unethical. Your opinion may vary, but you won't be invited to my hunting camp if it does. :D

On a side note, I think you should change the title of this thread to "I got lucky!" As a responsible hunter, you are lucky that you didn't wound the deer with a deflected shot. The deer didn't take a risk, you did.
trdtoy

Post by trdtoy »

Most of you guys have no idea of what the 40gr berger hp's in the 204 is capable of with a properly placed shot..................... :roll: That's all I have to say!
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Why don't you call Berger and ask them if they designed that bullet for deer? I'm sure they know more about it than you, I, and anyone else here. You may be the reincarnation of Jack O' Conner for all I know, but I doubt it.
MrPillow

Post by MrPillow »

As far as I see it, the .204 was designed as a VARMINT cartridge. It is sold as a VARMINT cartridge. It works extremely well as a VARMINT cartridge, so why try to make it something it was made, sold, or designed to do.

After all, you wouldn't take your .30-06 after elephants would you? Sure it might kill it if the shot is well placed, but cartridges designed to take after big game will do it 100% better.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

trdtoy wrote:Most of you guys have no idea of what the 40gr berger hp's in the 204 is capable of with a properly placed shot..................... :roll: That's all I have to say!
I'm fairly certain that most people on this forum know what the 40 gr berger in the .204 is capable of. A few of us may have even shot them (just not at deer). ;)

The question isn't whether the .204 can kill deer or not (it obviously can). The debate is about whether the .204 is a good choice to kill deer with. In my opinion the .204 doesn't deliver an adequate amount of "punch" that I, personally, demand in a deer hunting cartridge. I'm not about pushing the limits of what a particular round can do. I'm into making quick, clean, reliable shots on the game that I hunt.

The state of North Carolina obviously disagrees with me and says that you can hunt deer with 40 gr rounds of .204 ammo (Missouri does too). I'm not here to tell you that you're wrong, but I will offer my opinion on the matter. Before I take any shot in the woods, I must have complete confidence that I can make a quick, clean kill. The .204 does not instill that confidence in me with deer, so I leave that rifle at home. I feel that I owe the deer that much respect, so I choose the best rifle/caliber for the job.

Your opinion obviously varies, and you're well within your rights to disagree. I wish you safety and success in your future hunts.

Happy Holidays,
Mike