Foxing ?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
adam

Foxing ?

Post by adam »

Has anyone used the .204 for fox shooting? This probably applies more to the uk but I notice coyote are big in us and i assume these are fox size? Am i right? Also the only factory ammo in uk seems to be 32 and 40 grain v-max. Are these rounds capable of killing foxes/coyotes humanely and efficiently? I ask this because a lot of people here in the uk say it is no good as a fox round. Any points of view and advice on shot placement would be very gratefully recieved indeed :)
Many thanks
adam
janneuf

Fox v Coyote

Post by janneuf »

No a coyote is not fox-sized here in the US. A coyote here in the US can easily double the weight of a fox, if not treble. A .204 should be dynamite on a fox.
janneuf
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I would agree with janeuf; the 204 would easily smack a fox down out to at least 350 yards, and probably further with proper shot placement.

It would make a dandy foxing caliber rifle. How about some of you mid-western US guys? I know you have plenty of fox there.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

A .204 will kill a fox for as long a ways as you can probably hit it....
In fact I still have occasional exits on a fox which tears them up pretty bad, they are very small animals if you've ever skinned them out.....

Any bullet in a .204 will easily kill a fox, no worries there.... :P

GW
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

I have heard a few reports of the .204 cutting a fox in half. If you don't hunt for fur go for it..If fur is a concern try a 22 mag or hornet.
i havn't shot any foxes with mine. It certainly seems that as always with
proper bullet construction (maybe barnesx or fmj) that you may be able to
harvest a fox with minimal damage done .But with the more explosive bullets
You may require two bags. Head shots an option..
Our U.S coyotes can range anywhere from 15 to 30 lbs in the west to 65 -70 lbs in the northeast. They shot one not too far from my place
that went 91 lbs(dna results pending)
Foxes here may reach 10-12 lbs. so they are quite a bit smaller.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

If only a manufacturer would make a TSX or a Partitition in .20 caliber....

However, I'm not holding my breath....

GW :wink:
hunterapp

Foxing

Post by hunterapp »

I am curious as to why folks over there believe the 204 Ruger is not suitable for fox? Also would
like to know what calibers are favored for fox sized game in your region? Don't get me wrong, I
don’t wish to dispute that there may be better calibers for hunting fox.

As has been posted above, the only problem the 204 will have with taking fox is, she is simply
overkill. The new 17 fireball coming out this spring, or the parent 221 fireball will be better
suited for fox hunting IMHO. If one intends to keep your shots under 150 meters the HMR or
better yet the 17HMR would be choice - fur friendly, rounds for taking fox IMHO.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Or better yet....just use the 17 Rem - easily take a fox at 500 yards.
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

95% of my 204 shooting is with the 39blitzking.
I have shot a fox side on where the projie hit the spine and the resultant violent expansion looked like someone had come down on him with a chainsaw from above.

Got one on Saturday morning at around 100 mtres. Chest shot with the same projie. Mustn't have hit bone (no visible exit wound and didnt want to handle it to find out) but instant death on the spot. Only movement was legs collapsing!

It kills them very very very dead!

And just in case, our foxes were imported from your country so they are one and the same.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

This is a hole after sewing, hit frontal by .204......... Others have been a lot less sewing.
Here is a hole from a 17 HMR before sewing.
Different caliber and location of the shot makes a world of difference.Don
adam

Re: Foxing

Post by adam »

hunterapp wrote:I am curious as to why folks over there believe the 204 Ruger is not suitable for fox? Also would
like to know what calibers are favored for fox sized game in your region? Don't get me wrong, I
don’t wish to dispute that there may be better calibers for hunting fox.

As has been posted above, the only problem the 204 will have with taking fox is, she is simply
overkill. The new 17 fireball coming out this spring, or the parent 221 fireball will be better
suited for fox hunting IMHO. If one intends to keep your shots under 150 meters the HMR or
better yet the 17HMR would be choice - fur friendly, rounds for taking fox IMHO.
The prefered calibre for fox by most people over here is 223 and also 22-250 or222. THe other issue we have difficulty with is getting the police to allow us calibres of our choice. Generally if it dont suit them or they think it is unsuitable then they will not grant it
hunterapp

Foxing?

Post by hunterapp »

Adam,
Thanks for the reply. I see many of us here in the good old USA do not realize how well we have it.
How would your police accept a switch out barrel gun like the savage or a Thompson contender?
And would you need to have a permit for each barrel for a switch barrel gun, as well?

By the way what distance would you expect to commonly have shot opportunities at fox?
smackumdown

Post by smackumdown »

hi all
1 thing i think must be stated is that in england most foxing is done at night and therefore time to take a shot is limited resulting often in bad placement (this isnt pointed at onyone)
i dont want to start a huge argument but i fired at a fox at night with my hmr (chest shot 100yrds) i saw the fox jump and run and never found him i personaly will never again shoot at a fox over 50yds with my hmr
(thats me) in my opinion bullet spashes to easily

ps no arguments please cos thats why i love this website :)
IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Night hunting with 204

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've shot a few foxes at night I did lose one that was hit on the right side of the face head on it layed there winning when I went to pick him up he spun in circles on his face then ran off I suppect the 32gr Vmax splashed. when it hit bone. They can be rather tough little characters. I like to make long shots at night on coyotes that won't come in close but I've never had that problem with fox most have been with any where between 10 ft and 100yrds not far for the 204.
fireball10x

Post by fireball10x »

I'm thinking of trying the 30 bergers on fox in my 204 they might go in and not come out also I'm gonna try the 33 grn speer in my hornet im usin 40 vmax and there making a mess