Springtime Fun with Skippy & the .204 (Pics)

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Actully, i drove right out of that "lockers are not an option". I fell in from the left side of the photo. If you look theres a drain pipe; i didn't want to risk poking a tire, but i ended up going over it anyway. The guys there were helping throwing my crap back in the jeep that had flown out.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay, let's get back on track. This is not a 4x4/jeep site, it's all about Fun with 204's!

Here's some more random shots taken during the last rat assault here in Oregon two weeks ago.

Captqc scanning for rogue Skippy who may be lurking way out there:

Bench-eye view of the occupied area during a break in the action (telephoto shot; looks closer than it is. That sagebrush line is right at 480 yards away):

Fresh round of 32gr Blitz Kings over RL-10X ready for the next session. Having only 20 on the bench at one time lets me keep track of cleaning intervals to maintain peak accuracy. An excessively copper/carbon fouled rifle is not going to make contact with Skippy at 400 yards!

Here's Skippy who thought having a trench leading to his bunker would save him from the sniper activity.....wrong! This guy won't pop his head up again for a look around. :lol:

Even a grazing hit on the noggin from a speedy 204 bullet will put Skippy's lights out big time! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

mr527
.204 Ruger Guns: cz527 american

Re: Springtime Fun with Skippy & the .204 (Pics)

Post by mr527 »

What brand is that table bench?
I'm a lefty so is it flipable?
Is it alloy ?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mr527 wrote:What brand is that table bench?
I'm a lefty so is it flipable?
Is it alloy ?
The brand was the BR Pivot from Varmint Masters LLC.
The bench top flips for both right and left hand shooters.
It is constructed almost entirely of 6061 T6 alloy.

But.....you're late for the party mr527, as I had this in production from 1997 till I sold the patent and manufacturing rights to MidwayUSA back in 2007. The lite version is no longer available, but MidwayUSA still markets the BR Pivot under the Caldwell name and is still available from them, albeit not in the all-alloy version.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/384204 ... rdwood-top
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Nice pictures and nice country. Giving Skippy flying lessons is a must. Am up grading to a more stable shooting rest, Sinclair, Heavy Varmint, A/P Rest.
What would you suggest for a stable rear bag? Want to get as close to rock solid as possible. Thanks for any advice. Bob
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Varmint Shooter wrote:What would you suggest for a stable rear bag? Want to get as close to rock solid as possible.
Bob, I've tried many rear bags and have come to settle on the Protektor No. 13B as being what I feel is one of the best rear bags available. It has a stiff reinforced bottom that will not deform, and lays flat on the bench. It's the best rear bag I've ever used, and friends who have also purchased this model all agree.

Bald Eagle also has some good bags, but this is what has worked for me, and worked very well.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Varmint Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger Rem XR-100,20VT, 20SCC,20TAC. Cortez, CO

Post by Varmint Shooter »

Thanks for the reply. Last question, regular sand or heavy?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Varmint Shooter wrote:Thanks for the reply. Last question, regular sand or heavy?
Most shooters including myself use regular or fine sand for bag filling. Bag sand is actually available from shooting supply outfits, but regular sand used for cement mix will work just as well. Depending on where you purchase a front or rear bag, it may be factory-filled and ready for use. Mine was purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse and came filled.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

johnhenry
.204 Ruger Guns: M-77 Hawkeye Predator .204

Post by johnhenry »

Thank you for the photos. Most educational to lay eyes on a "target rich shooting environment) Ive heard about and can only imagine.
John Henry
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

johnhenry wrote:Thank you for the photos. Most educational to lay eyes on a "target rich shooting environment) Ive heard about and can only imagine. John Henry
John, you don't have to imagine any more......imagine this scene multiplied by say, 500X and you'll get an idea of what a "target-rich environment" really is.......

Those little guys are very young; the adults are about twice that size (Beldings Ground Squirrel).

Squirrel mounds as far as you can see. There's probably at least a dozen rats for every mound.....bring lots of ammo.

You get spoiled quickly when the ranch flatbeds are available for a bit of elevation in order to see down into the alfalfa:

It's been said many times, but we're convinced that this particular shooting activity is "the most fun you can have with a rifle!"
:D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA