Skippy Flies Fine in '09

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Skippy Flies Fine in '09

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As Captqc has noted, we're back from our first outing with our buddy Skippy and his pals. The weather was on Skippy's side, as the first day we had blowing snow and high winds, so we just jumped in the mini SUV and did "drive-by" style shooting at the rats with 22LR's out the windows. The next day it was still quite windy, but we managed to get in some quality time at the benches with our 204's for some long range fun.

Here's the "before" look on Skippys face prior to meeting up with a 22LR Power Point from my Kimber Conversion:

The little SUV's windows bristling with gun barrels during the drive-by session (this is more fun than you'd imagine where legal):

My recent Kimber 84M Varmint finally getting in some quality time with Skippy. It seems to thrive on a mid-range load of Benchmark and 32gr Nosler BT's and Fed 205M primers, shooting nice round groups in the .3's. I'll take accuracy over velocity any day. She has finally had her "baptism under fire".

The Silver Princess of Death also came along on this trip, and was responsible for the longest confirmed launches of the day. This was also the first outing for the new Leupold Switch-Power bino's, 7-12X, armored. This glass is the epitome of field glasses with the ability to scan with a wide FOW with 7X, then the ability to zoom to 12X for a closer look. They're also lighter and handier than my old 8X Wind Rivers (Leupold also furnishes a nice padded case, both ocular and objective covers, plus a bino harness with this glass):

As can be seen by the sheer number of squirrel mounds, this is a target rich environment, but the wind was brisk when this was taken, so our buddy and his pals were in their dens:

This guys guts almost made it into the den ahead of him!

Old Glory and the traditional EORFS flag stand proud over the rodent infested landscape at the Rat CP:

Dan and Garth discuss the merits of the 204 over the 223 for rat eradication at the Rat CP:

"Dang!, I almost made it down the hole......I hate the 204!"

As is customary for our crew, we all carry Kimber .45's for regular CC. We also like to get in some .45 practice on these outings, so besides my 22LR Conversion on my Kimber Pro CDP II, I took along the new "house gun", a Kimber TLE/RL II (Tactical Law Enforcement/Rail) to break it in with 230gr hardball prior to mounting it's new SureFire X400 Weapon Light w/Laser to keep mom and the girls safe from the cretins of the world. She functioned flawlessy for over 150 rounds:

Dan (The Infidel) and I at the Dueling Tree for some fast action during the time the wind was up:

The Dueling Tree....about the most fun you can have with a .45 and a friend. It presents three 4" steel targets on each side of the "tree", and when hit, they flip over to the other shooters side. It's a hoot smacking them back and forth with rapid defensive .45 fire:

Not bad "out of the box" accuracy with 230gr hardball:

Me at my bench with SPOD having my way with Skippy. We had rats all the way out to 500+ yards, but the gusty wind kept the hits consistent to about 350 yds, and only a lucky hit much past that range. As the season progresses, we get less wind, more sun, and green alfalfa:

I could have left a few rifles home this trip, as the wind and snow limited the amount of shooting. This is the battery I took but only shot SPOD & Lil Kim 204's, plus my carbon fiber barreled Ruger 10-22T. The pistols however, really got another workout. It was too windy for any 17HMR action:

The fired brass pile is usually much larger after a four day trip, but hey, less reloading to do, right? ;)

In another couple of weeks the weather is bound to be better, and we'll head out again to have fun with our little buddy Skippy with the EORFS crew. Captqc gets to come out and play this time too. We're not basking in warm sunshine, so you guys that still have snow on the gound don't dispair.....the "real" spring is coming, I promise. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Skippy Flies Fine in '09

Post by Captqc »

Oh Rick, I can hardly stand it! Seeing those pictures made me feel like I was there! See ya in a a little while for my crack at Skippy with my new toys. Gary
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Great pics!

Glad to hear your back at 'em again!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

hey rick, great story and pics. looks like you guys had some fun, even if the wind was blowin. good to see you are back at skippy and his pals. bet he really hates it!!! :eek: we did a little launching ourselves, down here in N. Kalifornia, but as per my CRS thing, i forgot the camera, again. i keep my truck pretty much loaded for these trips in the spring, but i won't leave the camera in it, or the guns. guess i will have to put the camera in the gun safe! :lol: so i can remember it, along with the guns! :roll: looks like we will be back at it, later this week, if the weather cooperates. i love this time of year!!!!!! :mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Sounds like you guys had a great "warm up session". I envy you U.S. boys with being able to use pistols. Our bleeding heart liberal draconian laws forbid the use of pistols or AR's unless you are at a lisenced range. :wall: Oh well, the 204's will see action very soon.
Savage Vaporizer
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Hey rick,

Thanks for the pictures. I imagine those critters just detest the little 204. Can't wait to get back out there and make those little dudes jump.

Jim
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I know you waited a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time for this rodeo Rick!! I hope it was everything you expected & then some!! Thanks for hanging in there when the chips were down & not folding on us OR those rats!!! :wink:

I think I'm about as happy as I can be for someone else right now after reading this post. :mrgreen:

BTW-- When you're done reading the book you'll need to sign the inside of the front cover for me. Your name & handle will do. Plus whoever else reads it will have to do the same. :wink: It's a requirement you probably weren't aware of but does exist. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rat Force One

Post by Rat Force One »

Drive-by's are definetly an underestimated amount of fun. So much fun indeed that I some how tune out the wife sqwaking at me about all of the brass rolling around the rig. I just stand there smilling as she discovers brass where you'd never thought you could. Santa will need to bring me more Power Points if this keeps up. My next rig will have bigger windows (shooting portals) and maybe a Dillion on a turret. A guy can wish right?
nothing beats red mist in the morning
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Rick, glad to see that you finally got out after Skippy. It has been way too long. Too bad you forgot to load all those empties, you might have shot more! :lmao:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Thanks for the responses guys. It WAS a long time waiting to heal up and get back at it, but it's all good now (except for Skippy that is.....).

Glen: No worries; I'll get the book properly autographed and returned when I'm done reading. Right now though, rats, rat rifles, and loading rat ammo is taking up more time than reading, but I know you understand. ;) Being happy is an understatement at this time of year, but also actually being able to pump air and get out and DO what we love makes me even happier. I ain't done yet!

Rat Force One: Maybe we should get the air chisel out and cut a "top vent" in for a proper elevated shooting position in the Xterra...... then all the 22LR brass would land outside the vehicle. Think she'll go for it? :lol:

Gube: I feel your pain brother....one of the primary reasons I left my Mother Country and came here. Freedom is a good thing. For some unknown reason, Canada still clings to antiquated laws dreamed up by the English long ago, and we all know how our brothers in the UK feel about gun ownership, or lack thereof..... When the snow melts and the sun comes out though, you'll forget about pistols and be quite happy cradling your 204 in the Rat Patch, I'm sure. :D

About a week and a half, and it's time again to visit our favorite rodent buddy......WITH our 204's of course!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Rick,
It sure is good to see you out in the field "wearing them out". The pictures were great, and it's really giving me the fever to get back to Montana. We'll be heading out the last week in June. Those are some great looking guns, at least Skippy went out in style.
Keep those pics and posts coming.
ImageImage
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

RIO...........Real glade to see you got out and had the smell of burnt powder in the air. the weather might not have been warm, but I'm sure your barrels were.
Your write up and pics are always top notch just like your firearms :wink: !!
Thanks again and wish I was their too.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: Thanks bud. We should have more fun and carnage after the weekend of the 25th, as we're headed out for another four days of flying rats. Believe me....it IS good to be back at it once again! :D

Futuretrades: Hey Kevin.....camera in the gun safe.....the only way I can remember to take mine along. It seems to work, unless you actually forget to take your rifles too! :eek:

(In reality though, because of memory loss, I use a computer generated check list now for these outings to ensure all gear arrives with me on site. A separate list for rats, chucks, deer, elk, etc., as each has a "special" selection of associated gear to take along. Anybod over 40 needs a list!.....I qualify for sure.)

Ray: Right on...when my hands got cold, I just held on to a nice warm rifle barrel. ;) Thanks for the kind words. If you lived closer, I'm sure you'd be sitting beside me on your own bench. You could really warm up that Sako .338 around here......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

A windy day shootin still beats a day working. Especially if it's windy and cold at work too!
Nice report Rick, and I like you idea for seperate spreadsheet gear lists for each species etc.
I'm only 31, but I always forget something. Right now I'm packing up for a turkey trip running around everywhere trying to make sure I didn't forget anything. Apparently a guy needs a whole truckload of stuff when headed out for 2 days of gobbler chasin. :roll:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Racr350 »

Finally! I've been waiting to see some pictures from you Rick! Keep them coming...i can't wait till I'm done with school and i can do some fippin' myself. :D
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)