do the bullets splatter ?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

do the bullets splatter ?

Post by doobie »

got question on the effective range of a 204 . i have been talking to a couple of guys who own 204's . i asked how they were on woodchucks ( i live in ohio ) and the one guy never used his on chucks just out west hunting skippey's and he said it is now his favorite cal and he was shooting out to 400 yds and no problems on the prarrie dogs . the other gent says that his bullets were just splattering on the woodchucks over two hundred yards . can some one verify that over 200 and under 300 that these ( ithink they both use hornady 32 gr. ) don't or do splatter . thanks for any input that you have , dan
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: do the bullets splatter ?

Post by Glen »

These Ohio hogs can be tough to kill but the 204 is extremely effective out to 347yds with the 39gr BK's. My furthest 32gr V-Max shot on a groundhog was around 270yds. My Wife & I have blown heads clear off groundhogs with both bullets but for the most part we've had pin prick entries with total carnage inside the chest cavity with both bullets. They work just like they are supposed to work. With that said I cannot remember a single splash with any 204 bullet on a groundhog. That's not say others may have different results.

BTW-- If it matters I picked mine up the Spring/Summer the 204R was released & we only had 2 choices of factory loads. The 32gr & 40gr V-Max until Remington ponied up with their green tip V-Max loads. So I've been fortunate enough to have shot more than just a couple groundhogs. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
doobie

Post by doobie »

thanks for the reply glen , its hard to sift out the bull from the real deal .
by the way , i have a friend that lives down there by you and he keeps trying to talk me down there , says there is a club he shoots at that we can shoot out to ( i think ) 600 yds .this spring i may take him up on it .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

You're Welcome doobie. Is it the Tusco Rifle Club?? If so that is less than 10 minutes from my house. I believe they have a 600yd range there. If you make it this way holler. I'm not a member at the club but I'll meet you guys somewhere for a soda or coffee. I have access to a range on private property so I've never spent the money over there. But it is a nice range with good benches & target stands.

Fact or fiction on the net can be tough to figure out sometimes. I just know I've been lucky enough to have shot a fair amount of groundhogs with the 204R & really like it after 250yds. :wink: I would venture to guess right around 200 groundhogs.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

They sure make sage rats splatter! But I've never had any issues with bullet splatter. So far my longest confirmed kill was 465 yards on a sage rat. That was factory .204 Hornaday with a 32gr V-Max. Rick has hit much further than that! I have not had any problems with the .204 round since I learned that my Remington doesn't like the 40gr rounds (she likes the 39's). Gary
doobie

Post by doobie »

be more than glad to give you a holler glen .
tusco does sound right .
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Although I 've heard of the mythical splatter using 32 gr. Vmaxs on coyotes I have yet to experience it. Can't imagine GHs are any tougher than the coyotes. I have no experience at all on GHs...for all I know we don't have a shootable population of them anyway. I have shot a fair number of coyotes with a .204 and if I hit them they die.....
Beyond 400 yds. you won't get a gret violent splatter on pds with your .204 but it will kill them.

gh
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

Post by ultralightshooter »

skb2706, I have had the same results with the 32gr vmax on yotes but i think my farthest shoot on a yote with them is 275.Whats your farthest shot on a yote with the 32gr vmax?
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Haven't shot a coyote at any real distance with the .204s. Farthest shot was 130 yds. which is kinda unusual for these parts. closest one was 13 yds.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator