I love this little cartridge!!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rib Tickler
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T-3 lite

I love this little cartridge!!

Post by Rib Tickler »

Man I should have bought one years ago!!!!

Hi guys my name is Ron, I`m new here and new to the .204!!

I bought a Tikka T-3 Lite this christmas eve, and have been getting to know this little devil since! I own a Tikka T-3 Lite in 300 wsm also and it`s a real shooter...or so I thought. I bought the gun, broke it in with winchester grey box 34 gr mollie bullets, which shoot ok but not what I`m looking for, so I bought some RCBS dies, and other goodies. Bench mark powder and berger 30 gr bullets I already had on hand prom a past project. I worked up a load that is a real smoker and wicked accurate to boot! 28.2gr benchmark, 30 gr berger, cci 400 primers, winchester brass and seated to 2.295...If I remember right......shot a .250" group at 100 yards off bipods. Haven`t chronied it yet.
This past weekend I managed to call in 3 yotes, which all fell to the mighty 204. The first 2 yotes came in to my ipod with speakers attached, playing some of varmint all`s doggie tunes. the fist yote ate a 30 grain berger at about 80 yards, it shut him off like a switch, the second yote ran off, and I couldn`t get a good shot at him.....5 minutes later he came in very cautiosly to about 150.....30 gr pill put the yote down.
I took my daughter out sunday night just a half mile from the house on the quad to a spot I thought might hold some yotes. we parked the quad and walked a couple hundred yards to a nice vantage point, set the ipod up and setteled into a nice cozy snow bank..lol after about 10 minutes I spotted a yote coming in at about 900 yards out. A few minutes later the yote appeared at 550 yards and was seriously scanning the area. the ipod started calling again, and the yote began trotting, about a minute later I caught movement to my left, and seen the yote circling to get down wind at about 200 yards, I swung the gun and setteled the cross hairs on it`s neck as I couldn`t see vitals, at that time the yote picked up the movement and took off behind the hill, a few minutes later I ranged the little bugger out at 350 to 360 yards standing broadside, then it would jump in the air ind do a 180 and show the other side as though to say " you can`t touch either side of me.....wrong! :evil: I settled my duplex cross hairs on the chest and tripped a couple pounds of trigger! almost instantly and almost to my surprize the prairie poodle dropped and the only thing moving was it`s tail, going round and round.... young female.
don`t know how to add a pic.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: I love this little cartridge!!

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the madness RT!! Congrats on the coyote too!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
doobie
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by doobie »

good story ron and congrats on the yotes :wtg:
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Welcome Ron! Hope to read a bunch more great stories like that one from you.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Ron, welcome to the forum! That was a nice story. Posting pictures is easy once you get the hang of it. At the top of the page you will see a listing for how to post a picture and in a nut shell all you do is set up an account on a site like photobucket and then drop them into your posting. Give it a try and ask for help if you have a problem, we love pics around here! Gary
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

WTG! And welcome to the forum. This is truly a great place.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

Ya, this little cartridge will do that to you! SO much fun to shoot....should almost be illegal!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Congrats on the yotes "Rib". Lots of good info here for what will now become an "obsession" for you. And remember, Pics and more Pics.
Savage Vaporizer
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Welcome Ron to the site these 204s are sweet i just got mine about a month ago.

WTG on the hunt and story we like pics to.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Welcome to the sickness! :)
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Post by darchell »

Congrats :D I know what your feeling. Last year around January or so I bought my 204 and started the loading process. I shoot ground hogs though, not yotes, but have had the same feeling and still do. Great little cartridge. Lotta fun and very addictive. Welcome and enjoy..