Bagged my first Coyote!!!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Killymagee
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FLV

Bagged my first Coyote!!!

Post by Killymagee »

After weeks of screw ups and missed shots I finally bagged my first coyote!. It seems like it was a 7 month year old pup but I'll take it!. I've been making my way up from a .22 and now a .204 ruger savage 12 FLV . In the process of getting my hunting license then moving on up to a .243 weatherby . I shot this yote at about 100 yards with a 200 yard zero with my hand loaded 40 grain VMAX ballistic tips with remington brass and 25grns of benchmark. Hit it in the heart and it dropped stone dead! . So stoked!, can't wait to head out again to bag another one!.

First blood for the Savage 12 FLV!!

Sooo Stoked!!!! Stoned!!

Bullet hole just below that dirt patch, I'm pretty sure I hit the heart unless you guys think not?.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: Bagged my first Coyote!!!

Post by Song Dog »

CONGRATS! Nothing like getting the 1st one down. The VMax made its way in and probably made the insides like jelly LOL
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Great job!! The patience pays off!!

We especially appreciate the fine photos!

Please tell us a bit more about where you're located, etc.etc.

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Killymagee

Post by Killymagee »

Oh right, I am located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I was hunting north of Calgary near a town called Acme. Tonnes of gophers and coyotes around there! :D.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Killymagee--CONGRATULATIONS on bagging your first coyote!!! I hope it is the first of many more to fall to your .204 Ruger!!! Thanks for the photos and the write-up. Keep the pictures and stories coming.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Congats on the coyote and welcome to the 204 addiction.
Killymagee

Post by Killymagee »

Thanks guys. I am LOVING the .204 ruger. Pretty much no recoil and I see the show as well. I am definitely gonna bag me another coyote. I have a scope mount for a camera so next time I will get a video of it through the scope! :D .
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Welcome to the site and congrats on your first yote! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :camper:
It will always be special.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Congrats on your first 'yote! The .204 is fun, versatile, and addictive. Now get out there and bag a few more.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Congratulations on Your first Coyote...those .204's can really put down the Coyotes......I'd stick with it,the .204's are easier on the hides than the .243 Rifles......unless You have some high winds then the .243 will work better? :chin: :wink:

Oh yeah...Great Pictures...looks like Your having the time of your Life! :mrgreen: :lol:
Killymagee

Post by Killymagee »

You better believe it!!. After a month in a place that has a CRAP ton of coyotes and not getting a kill I was so pumped to have finally got one. I am loving the .204, I find it so odd a rifle with such high velocity has nothing for kick. I want to go hunting with a friend so the .243 will be for deer since I'm not liking the .223 . Although it might get some use on coyotes :P . Won't be for awhile though, I'm in love with my .204 and plan on getting a better stock and better glass as I have a cheap tasco on it. Does anyone have any ideas for one? I was looking at the Hawke sidewinder but I'm still open to ideas. It's gotta have a very fine cross hair as I'll be doing lots of gopher shooting with it.
GTOHunter

Post by GTOHunter »

Hunting Coyotes is a lot like going after Deer,You need to stay as scent-free as possible and when using a Call they will circle down-wind to see whats making the noise and to smell You or the animal Your mimicing.Another thing is good Camo and staying as still as possible and to have a good back ground behind You so they can't see your body outline....stay in the shadows and if possible in good cover/camo.In the Winter time its a good idea to blend in with the snow and/or surroundings.Coyotes are very smart and have a keen sense of smell and some great eye sight so if Your wanting to be succesful more often pratice makes perfect when Hunting them.The Art of using a mouth call and learning how to bark/howl adds to the excitment and thrill of the Hunt..there are several different decoys that can be used also and many makes and models of Eletronic Callers too! :chin: :D ;)
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Killymagee wrote:Oh right, I am located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I was hunting north of Calgary near a town called Acme. Tonnes of gophers and coyotes around there! :D.
Town of Acme...? Shot a coyote...? Hmmmm...He wasn't chasing a very fast running bird was he...? (road runner)....LOL
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Congrats on the first.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Pmoper wrote:
Killymagee wrote:Oh right, I am located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I was hunting north of Calgary near a town called Acme. Tonnes of gophers and coyotes around there! :D.
Town of Acme...? Shot a coyote...? Hmmmm...He wasn't chasing a very fast running bird was he...? (road runner)....LOL
LOL!!!! congrats, 'magee!! Late whitetail season closes here (NY) soon :cry: , 'can't wait to kill a coyote :D !