Turkey hunting

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Turkey hunting

Post by Pmoper »

I recently (just got off the phone) got an invite to go to Penn for turkey hunting....Well, he almost knocked me over when he told me that now you MUST wear safety orange vest while hunting BUT...Now you can use rifles as well....?? OK who am I to argue...Well, got to thinking (UH-OH, here it comes) Would the 204 be ok to use or would I be getting only chunks...? The only parts we usually keep are the breasts anyways...any help or advice would be appreciated....Thanks.....Paul :idea:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Turkey hunting

Post by Glen »

I would opt for a 22LR/22WMR/17HMR/5MMRem for turkeys. Only because Spring Turkey season is so popular now & there will be a lot of hunters in the woods. Private/public property makes no difference as the bullets do not recognize property lines & continue to fly in the path of travel. The 204 might not blow one up too bad. I've shot crows & some exploded & some just fell over sideways on impact. Groundhogs blowup sometimes & other times they just have a pin prick entrance wound.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
trappinjohn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by trappinjohn »

I assume you going this spring? No orange is required in the spring and it's shotgun only. It was required to wear an orange hat in the past. I still do when walking in and out.
What area are you hunting?

Rifles are only allowed in the fall. Not sure what the 204 would do on one. Not too many use rifles in my area. It's heavily wooded and most carry shotguns.

Taken from the digest http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... 783&mode=2
Arms & Ammunition:
Fall Season: 1) Manually operated rifles and handguns, including rimfires; 2) Manually operated and semi-automatic shotguns limited to a 3-shell capacity in the chamber and magazine combined; 3) Muzzleloading shot-guns, rifles and handguns; and 4) Long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with broadheads of cutting edge design. Single projectile ammunition or shot no larger than No. 4 lead, No. 2 steel or No. 4 of any other approved nontoxic shot. The fall seasons in WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B are limited to shotguns and long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with broadheads of cutting edge design.
Spring Gobbler Season: 1) Manually operated and semi-automatic shotguns limited to a 3-shell capacity in the chamber
and magazine combined; 2) Muzzleloading shotguns of all types and gauges; 3) Long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with cutting-edge broadheads. Fine shot no larger than No. 4 lead, No. 2 steel or No. 4 of any other approved nontoxic shot. Rifle/shotgun combination guns may be used if ammunition is limited to shotgun shells. Carrying or using single projectile ammunition, rifles or handguns is unlawful.

Fluorescent Orange Requirements:
Fall Season: Turkey hunters must wear at least 250 square inches of fluorescent orange on the head, chest and back combined, visible 360 degrees at all times when moving. May be removed at stationary calling location, providing a minimum
of 100 square inches of fluorescent orange is posted within 15 feet of the location and is visible 360 degrees.
• Exception: In wildlife management units limited to hunting with shotguns and bows and arrows (WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A & 2B) hunters when moving must wear a hat containing a minimum of 100 square inches of solid fluorescent orange material, visible 360 degrees at all times. While fluorescent orange is not required in these zones at stationary calling locations, it’s strongly recommended.
Spring Season: Fluorescent orange is no longer required
but is recommended when moving through the spring woods.
Pmoper

Post by Pmoper »

Thanks for the update...I had sent to the State for regs...this will be my first year going there.....Here in NY it is Bow or shotgun.....no orange requirement .....YET....
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

In Ohio we can only use bows and shotguns and I really hope it stays that way for turkey. Im assuming for rifle you are shooting them in the head? If not I cant imagine a 17 HMR to do a lot of good on a body shot. We have some pretty large turkeys here in Ohio anyhow.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

ryutzy wrote:Im assuming for rifle you are shooting them in the head?
I've never hunted turkey with a rifle (shotgun or bow in MO), so I'm curious to know where shots are placed as well. I had always assumed a good shot placement would be where the neck meets the body, because the head moves so much and a body shot would potentially destroy a lot of meat. I'd love to hear from experienced rifle hunters.
Pmoper

Post by Pmoper »

Mike wrote:
ryutzy wrote:Im assuming for rifle you are shooting them in the head?
I've never hunted turkey with a rifle (shotgun or bow in MO), so I'm curious to know where shots are placed as well. I had always assumed a good shot placement would be where the neck meets the body, because the head moves so much and a body shot would potentially destroy a lot of meat. I'd love to hear from experienced rifle hunters.
Me to Mike....that's why I posted the question about the 204 on turkeys....With a bow I aim where the wing meets the body....am sort of afraid what a pill traveling at 4000 fps would do to a big Tom hit there...even at extended ranges.....
smokin
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by smokin »

Between four of us with 204s here in NZ we've shot heaps of turkeys from 30 -300 metres on farms where they are a oest. If you want to use the breast meat aim for the shoulder, go up the leg to middle of body. We use from 26 -40 gn but find the 32 gn Hornady V Max works best.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

wow well--I love the challenge of turkey hunting and I think using a rifle takes all the challenge out of it. I hope Ohio doesn't allow it. JMO I enjoy the hard hunt for those big gobblers, and I would feel like it was cheating for me to sit back and pick off the big Toms with a rifle. Interesting anyway.........
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Pmoper

Post by Pmoper »

ryutzy wrote:wow well--I love the challenge of turkey hunting and I think using a rifle takes all the challenge out of it. I hope Ohio doesn't allow it. JMO I enjoy the hard hunt for those big gobblers, and I would feel like it was cheating for me to sit back and pick off the big Toms with a rifle. Interesting anyway.........
I understand what you are saying....I am just one of those die hard hunter types...If the State would allow it I would hunt by throwing stones....getting out is more important to me than the weapon used....LOL...if they say its ok for rifles then Hey, I'd try it......I prefer to use my bow...then shotgun and last but far from least rifle.....they used to have a "turkey shoot" in North Carolina when I was stationed down there....it was held every fall just prior to Thanksgiving....They had a real turkey, set up behind a log..and all you had to shoot at was its head....first couple of guys had a decent chance...then the bird got educated.....and wouldn't stick his head up.....It was funny to watch....
hehunts
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15,Ruger 77,Remington 700

Post by hehunts »

ryutzy wrote:wow well--I love the challenge of turkey hunting and I think using a rifle takes all the challenge out of it. I hope Ohio doesn't allow it. JMO I enjoy the hard hunt for those big gobblers, and I would feel like it was cheating for me to sit back and pick off the big Toms with a rifle. Interesting anyway.........

I hunt in Illinois and agree 100%
Bow or Shotgun only JMO