Groundhog crawl aways with .204..

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
crazy_train04
.204 Ruger Guns: Weatherby Vanguard

Groundhog crawl aways with .204..

Post by crazy_train04 »

Hey guys. I have finally settled on a load that seems to be giving me great results. 32g BK with 29 grains of H4895. We have been planting heavy in Ontario this last couple weeks so I have had my rifle handy. I have shot a few groundhogs ranging from 170 to 265 yards. I watch the groundhog flip over through the scope so I know I have a solid hit. But often I find that they are making it back to thier holes. A couple of them I found them dead in the hole and a couple others just a blood trail to the hole. All of the groundhogs shot broadside have made it back to the hole. :mad: I figured any shot to the mid section should turn them into jello and stop them dead..
What am I doing wrong?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Groundhog crawl aways with .204..

Post by Bill K »

If gut shot they are tough little varmints. I would really try to hit them in the lung/heart/chest area or head. That should anchor them on the spot. Just a suggestion. Bill K
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

I've never shot those critters, only ground squirrels. Rest assured however, they never come back out of their dens. They are mortally wounded. You are doing nothing wrong. I've seen squirrels make it to their holes with half their entrails dragging behind them. No way they survived such wounds.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I think you are just getting a run of bad luck on where your shots are hitting. Have you tried 40 grainers on any of em? What kind of bullets are you using?
K = ½mv2
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

39 grain Sierras.....
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

In my opinion 32s are a little light if you have a marginal hit on an adult hog. You could also try a slightly tougher bullet like a Berger or CRTs 37 or 40 trainers. These are custom bullets and have had great reviews.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Crazy-Train, you sound like that guy in Josey Wales: I don't want to hear Wales dead... I want to SEE Wales dead. Rest assured, those groundhogs are dead. Can't speak to the 32 SBK, the only one I've ever shot was with a 7mm-08. I think I'd try the 39 SBK or one of the heavier bullets.
crazy_train04
.204 Ruger Guns: Weatherby Vanguard

Post by crazy_train04 »

Thanks for your opinions guys. Maybe I will order a box of 39 grainers and try that. I have been using the 32 grains BKs because they shoot very well out of my gun. I have tried the 40 grain V-max and they shot poorly for my liking. I will try on my next shoot to aim more for the chest area and see if that drops em where they stand.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

They are really, really tough... but just on the get-away. Rest assured: Dead

I've blown them up NASTY with my 6.5x55 and watched 'em make it down the hole anyway. Stake out the hole day to day: no re-show.
bkhartman
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by bkhartman »

I have been taking them with the 32 VMax. No exit wound and I have to squeeze them to get a little blood to come out of the entrance hole it seems to close up. The insides are jello. The hits have been low chest to head. They splat the thin skin on head good with enough penetration to instant kill. Range has been 180's to 237yrd. Good luck
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

the only time i have had one crawl was when i shot it to far back out of the vital area. As suggested in an earlier post aim for the head, it will anchor them for sure.

Brad
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Right around the 275yd mark is when I noticed the 32's weren't up to the task at hand. I know Todd Kindler has great success with ridiculous distance with the 33gr V-Max. I just was never happy with the results after 275yds so I went with the 39gr BK's & have never looked back.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

Think of it like real estate- it's all about shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. If you hit em with a 10 grain pellet in the right spot- it'll drop em. I speak from many years of experience with air rifle hunting. If I hit an adult buck ground squirrel in the heart/lung he'll make it to his hole just about every time. If I smack em in the neck or head with any size pellet he'll drop instantly. Those pellets have very little expansion-they generally ice pick right through the critter. It's not about the size or make of the bullet. It's ALL about the PLACEMENT. You'll find it's the same with any size game.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Yep, Consider your rifling rate of twist. 39gr is about optimum on 1 in 12 twist. 40grainers 1 in 10 & so on. Shot placement is "Supreme". I took down a 1000# American Bison with a shot to the neck wth a little 17 Remington 25gr HP I reload. It dropped like a ton of bricks, streight down. I also now own a 204 Ruger & I find the 32grainers not as accurate. The Winchester 34gr factorys shoot great. I have several boxes of Berger 35gr & a couple of Sierra 39gr SBK I am working up loads on. Great shooting & remember Senior Member "jrwoitalla" is CORRECT! shot placement is everything, as well as repeatable accurate with reloads or factory loads. I prefer reloads over factory. By the way shooters, what the heck is causing the shortage of Sierra 39gr Blitz King bullets anyway. I cannot find any to save my life, or take a Rock Chucks or Sage Rats life with! I found the only 2 boxes I could grub up in the last 8 months, what gives, Anyone know?????
leeloader
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by leeloader »

For me i have great luck with any of the bergers out to 300 yards