Forum rat rodeo

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Forum rat rodeo

Post by Mike »

I had mentioned something about a forum prairie dog shoot in another thread and it seemed to get a bit of traction, so I thought I'd start a new thread to gauge people's interest. This is nothing formal yet, but is instead the place for people to bounce around ideas and speak up if they're interested in trying to organize such festivities. I think it would be a lot of fun to gather up and meet some fellow forum members, while doing something that we all enjoy.

I envision a group meeting up in an area that offers a few options for sleeping (camping, motel, rv hookups). We can gather as a group in the evenings for dinner and socializing, while breaking into smaller clusters for the daily shooting activities. It would be interesting to mix up the clusters during the trip so that everyone gets a chance to shoot with each other. Obviously, this assumes that there are enough people in attendance to warrant splitting up the group. If not, we could all just shoot together.

Once we have a solid idea of who is interested and where everyone lives, the process of narrowing down a location can begin. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself yet, though. I'd love to hear feedback from others who are seriously interested in putting together a rat rodeo in 2013.

Thanks,
Mike
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Forum rat rodeo

Post by Clint E »

Well mike i would be in for the adventure.
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

I would be interested! I just returned to MI from a pd trip to Wyoming. Had a great time. Took the wife and my nephew and we all had a blast. The only problem is it cost $850 for the 3 of us for a 2 day hunt. I cant afford that again for a while unless there is a cheaper place to hunt. I would be more then willing to make the drive though and flip burgers or pass out beverages just to get a chance to hang around and listen to the stories.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I'd be interested.....if I can make it work with family and work things then I'd possibly be in for it. What's the best time of year for this?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Mike

Post by Mike »

In my opinion, the best time of year for a shoot is when the pups are out and the weather is pleasant. Depending on the area, that seems to be late May or early June.

As RIO mentioned in another thread, I think sage rats would be a lot of fun to shoot. My only reservation there is the distance most people would have to travel to get into sage rat country. It seems that most interest parties are located east of the Mississippi River.
Mike

Post by Mike »

fishnbob wrote:The only problem is it cost $850 for the 3 of us for a 2 day hunt.
Did you use an outfitter, or is this the cost of ammo? I don't have any intention of using an outfitter and paying $150/gun/day unless that's something the group really wants to do.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Humm, $850 for a group sure seems steep, at least to us here.

We can shoot for four or five days for free, the landowners tell us "kill 'em all!" Spending that kind of money will buy a decent scope or rifle. I'm betting if you guys are serious, one of the forum members who live in PD country could line something up with someone with land that they know.

I'd be willing to put a Rat Rodeo on again here, but I'm sure being at the extreme left edge of the country, it would not be feasible for many members on the east coast considering the distance involved. But one thing fer sure.....we've got more squirrels than we could ever shoot!

Sidebar: There's something to be said about squirrels vs. PD's. The Beldings Ground Squirrel, aka "Skippy" is about 1/3 the size of an adult prairie dog. Once you've spent a few days shooting squirrels, an adult PD is like shooting house cats.....they're huge by comparison. So the end result? You become a much better shot shooting something about the size of a soda can at 500 yards......... :chin:

Skippy's 204 flying lessons in progress:

I hope you guys put something together.....group shoots & BBQ's are a real hoot. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike

Post by Mike »

Rick: I'd be willing to make the trek out to Skippy's territory. That sounds like a great deal of fun to me, and knowing you, it would certainly be a memorable event done up right.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Mike, it could be done, and from past experience, it would be a shoot to remember (large amounts of ammo required ;) ).

I've got two prime locations....one in Eastern Oregon, another in N. California, both are large (3,000+ acres) alfalfa ranches. Both places have cheap accomodations available nearby, both are set up for camping/tents if wanted, both places are perfect for after shoot BBQ's, both have zillions upon zillions of rats.....that all don't dive for cover after the first shots are fired (like PD's do). The CA ranch would be more accessable for any who decided to fly in, but we've had guests from afar at both places in the past. These are two ranches owned by very good friends...no fees whatever for tresspass or shooting.

The only problem I can forsee would be weather. The best shooting is in late April, early May, so we never know what to expect from Mother Nature. Other than that, if enough guys are willing, I may be able to put something together (no promises yet).....IF guys are willing to slug out the distance from the eastern half of the country.

Here's a pic from a shoot on the Oregon ranch:

And another from another shoot on the California ranch:

Lemme know.....now is not too early for this kind of planning........ :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Good morning Rick! I would be up for an Oregon trip, Spring of 2013. As for BBQ, I would be willing to bring a whole Boer meat goat if wanted.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS wrote:Good morning Rick! I would be up for an Oregon trip, Spring of 2013. As for BBQ, I would be willing to bring a whole Boer meat goat if wanted.
Wow, we're off to a very good start! Thanks Jon, and good morning to you too!

Okay, that's the first vote for an Oregon Rat Rodeo...I know my crew will also vote for Oregon. One thing about going to CA....none of us can carry our daily carry weapons in that communist state, and none of us really like going down there for any reason....'cept to shoot squirrels once in a while.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Mike

Post by Mike »

I haven't lost anything in Kalifornia and feel no urge to spend my money there, either.

We need to organize a caravan traveling across the country toward Oregon. I would prefer to fly out there, but lugging all of the gear makes that nearly impossible. I guess I just need to meet up with the caravan to drop off gear and then hop a flight! :lol: :lol:
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I'm down for PD and/or sage rat gathering. I am "local" for sage rats already, but would love to network with the guys. Heading "up country" tomorrow for rock chucks! Count me in for whatever you guys come up with.
K = ½mv2
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

I went through an outfiter. DCPC they were really great people and put us onto alot of dogs but the price seemed a little steep. Oregon would be a ways from MI but if some dates get set early and I could start planning soon I might be able to make it happen. It would be fun to meet everyone. I still have quite abit of ammo available but could start stocking up more.
fishnbob

Post by fishnbob »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Humm, $850 for a group sure seems steep, at least to us here.

We can shoot for four or five days for free, the landowners tell us "kill 'em all!" Spending that kind of money will buy a decent scope or rifle. I'm betting if you guys are serious, one of the forum members who live in PD country could line something up with someone with land that they know.

I'd be willing to put a Rat Rodeo on again here, but I'm sure being at the extreme left edge of the country, it would not be feasible for many members on the east coast considering the distance involved. But one thing fer sure.....we've got more squirrels than we could ever shoot!

Sidebar: There's something to be said about squirrels vs. PD's. The Beldings Ground Squirrel, aka "Skippy" is about 1/3 the size of an adult prairie dog. Once you've spent a few days shooting squirrels, an adult PD is like shooting house cats.....they're huge by comparison. So the end result? You become a much better shot shooting something about the size of a soda can at 500 yards......... :chin:

Skippy's 204 flying lessons in progress:

I hope you guys put something together.....group shoots & BBQ's are a real hoot. :D
Im not concerned about shooting for free but if i could get the cost down it would help alot. This was our first time and we had a blast. Im trying to talk some other buddies into it to help share the cost of fuel and share drive time. I would go again this yr if I could pull it off it is addicting.