Opinions M700

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
kjw204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Varmint

Opinions M700

Post by kjw204 »

I have a M700 Cdl SF in 7mm Rem mag. I was going through some once fired casings both factory and hand loads and noticed some some irregularities. The primers have a ring around the firing pin indentation (cratering?) on both the factory and the hand loads. The case necks and shoulder areas have some scratching consistant with a burr in the throat. I also noticed the primer isn't struck consistantly in the same place, some are dead center, some off center. Any opinions? This gun has less than 50 rounds through it.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Opinions M700

Post by RAMOS »

I am not a gunsmith but will offer my opinion for the price paid. The firing pin has a bit of slop in the bolt face hole, doubt it is enough to worry about. I don't think the marks on your case are from burrs in the chamber. I think they are dragging across something rough when extracted. Try using a light and magnifying glass to find it.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

As Ramos said, the current batch of Rem 700's have their firing pin hole in the boltface drilled oversized, has been an issue for quite some time. Fix is to have the bolt bushed, but won't be worth it IMHO.

Scratches I see are from a strong ejector button and the shoulder/ neck dragging on the inside of the action after the case neck exits the barrel. No problems, you can clip the spring some, or live with it. If it were a high volume vermin rig I'd fix the ejector spring, for a hunting rifle, leave it be.

Allen
kjw204
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Varmint

Post by kjw204 »

Well I thought that it would be quite odd to run into pressure issues with factory ammo. Thanks, that's why I come here, alot of knowledge on this site.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Yes, in MY experience you will see the radius of the primer where it makes a gap with the primer hole, start to get smaller, and pushing out a primer it will look mushroomed where it bulged out to fill the space . That of course is before seeing the indent pooch back out ( dent becomes less deep) and you may start to see impressions of the bolt face imprinted in the flat of the primer, you probably know the rest of the indicators.

Allen